Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
and I'm the only one on!:eek:

I was just about to carry Orion up to bed...yes carry, when I got the idea, "hey, I'll do a quick nail trim". So I set her on the kitchen counter and I had my hand right hand on her back and I was grabbing a handful of treats with my left. As I was bringing my hand back over, I whacked my knuckle (and split it open) on the kitchen sink. I should have just called it a night right then and there. But no, I grabbed the nail trimmers and finished her right front paw and was moving on to her back right paw when she made a sudden move to grab a treat. I cut the quick. She didn't make a sound or a move. She just stood there chomping on the treat and her little nail bleeding. BLEEDING! I've never hit a quick before. THERE WAS SO MUCH BLOOD. So much. I couldn't believe it. It stopped fairly quickly.....if she knew I hurt her, she didn't let on. Anyways, I put her in the kitchen sink (while she bled) and cleaned up all the blood on the counter. I ran her foot under cold water, then set her on the kitchen floor. She just sat there looking at me like...."what's with the cold foot bath?" I shoved a few more treats in her face...which she took no problem. I apologized to her and picked her up. I carried her upstairs and put her in her kennel. :eek:
I'm a bad bully momma.:down:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe not the best nail trimmer, but your a great bully momma :yes:

Totally agree!

I have heard you can put flour or cornstarch on it to get it to stop bleeding, but the one trick I have heard is the best is to smash the nail into bar soap. Well, not SMASH it, like push it to 'seal' it.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
The thing that works the best... if it ever happens again...

cooking flour. Just put a little dab of it on the bleeding part, and it will stop the bleeding immediately.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
See...I knew you'd have the answers for me! Thanks. I have yet to get her up this morning to see what damage I've done! Hopefully it's not as painful as it looked. I don't see how it couldn't be!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
and pressure always apply pressure with a cloth or something and give it a few seconds to clot the blood! I know there is a powder at the pet store as well but it probably does the same thing as mentioned above! Glad she is okay! :whew:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Georgia broke her nail outside on the back proch when she was play fighting with baby joe. It was soooo bad. I put some kwik stop on it and then cute and heal. You are a great Bully mom !! Some of us just arent meant to trim nails lol.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Yes, flour, cornstarch and a bar of soap work well! I bought stuff from the petstore that was gel in a squeeze bottle, and the only time I've cut Horse's, I tried that first and all it did was make a goopy bloody mess, so I used cornstarch and it worked immediatly! And even the best nail trimming mamas make mistakes sometimes! At least she didn't notice!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] You are at least brave to try cutting the nails. I haven't plucked up the courage yet and Maggie's nails grow so quick!!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Absolutely nothing from Orion. She's bouncing off the walls...doesn't even notice...doesn't even care. No limping, no pouting..no nothing.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
You aren't the first mom to cut it. When I got Bella she yelped!!! She has all black nails and I even have a quick finder clipper. But she moves too much for it to register. I rub wax on it, a trick from when I worked Oral surgery, we had bone wax to stop bone bleeding.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
nonsense Libra, utter nonsense, you are a terrific bully momma, if you say otherwise again. :guns:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Your little girl is like mine....put the treats in front of her and that is all she is going to notice! I haven't cut into a quick on Bertie yet! And I hope that I never do! It does happen and I know you are not the 1st or the last to do it! Your a great Bullie Mom!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.