General Question Anybody have thoughts of trifexis?

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Indeed. I hadn't heard till now that there was any problem with it. Did a quick search and its a bit scary. Ace has only had it once and did Ok but next month will probably ask for something different

I hadn't either. I remembered reading something about it but didn't realize it was to this extent! I need to do a search as well!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Does anyone know when and why sentinel became unavailabke? Thats what I have always used. In fact i still have some i think

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
had something to do with an issue at the plant making several drugs.... it was a voluntary halt in production until the company resolved it. Rumor is it will be back sometime this month
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm against Trifexis. Every day that I think of it, I post a petition to get the drug off the market. Why, do you ask? If you look at my signature below, you will see the BFF Steve Slocum tribute. I met Diane Slocum on Facebook and started following her and her witty and loveable bulldogs....Steve, Zoya and Geoff. Every morning I'd wake up and get my fill of Steve. Diane and I connected when her girl, Zoya, needed to have her tail pocket closed. I told her about our story and she claims I really helped her through Zoya's surgery and recovery. Steve, not even 2 years old...started having seizures. Since I also have this issue with Vegas...we bonded even more.

Diane loves her bulldogs like the crazy cat lady loves her cats. She had lost a bulldog due to overheating when she tried to breed him (he was too close to the female and his breathing escalated and they couldn't save him in time)....and was having a hard time getting over the death of Sluggo. Steve was a blessing in disguise for her. Her heart started to heal from Sluggo's death with Steve. She bonded with Steve like she bonded with Sluggo. He was her heart. When he started having seizures on Oct 30th 2012, she did what any mom would do and she made an appt with the neurologist. They did all the tests and it was determined that Steve was healthy. Every single test came back fine....and he was just a baby. The only medication he'd ever been on was Trifexis. Steve continued to have seizures throughout November and into December. He celebrated his 2nd birthday on 12-12-12. On 12-18-12, he had a grand mal seizure that ended up taking his life. By this time...his little body had underwent so many seizures, the MRI showed fluid on the brain. Not only that, but he had aspirated and ended up with pneumonia. Steve couldn't hold on any longer and he passed over the rainbow bridge. The one thing that had changed? He was put on the drug Trifexis. One of the listed side effects is seizures.

I'm lucky. I live in the PNW where we don't have to worry about heartworm like those in the south. I do not use anything at all on my two. I would rather treat my house instead of treat my pet. I've read one too many reports of dogs dying on this drug. I am vehemently against anyone using this drug.

Please do your research on this. If it was a drug for humans...it would have already been pulled. But since Eli Lilly manufactures it under the name Elanco...it's still on the market and people are still using it. Eli Lilly, just so you know.......is the manufacture of some of the country's leading drugs. Humulin Insulin being one.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.