General Question Anybody have thoughts of trifexis?

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I have been thinking of switching Briley to trifexis and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions about it? Both good and bad.
He is currently on heart guard but I think trifexis would be much easier because its one pill that covers the parasites, heart worm, and fleas as opposed to giving him multiple meds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Someone here use it... can't remember who.... sorry. I use Sentenial (hoping it is back this month) which is similar, one pill covers a few things.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Trifexis has severe side effects and can be deadly to your pet. We've already seen the loss of beloved pets who were on Trifexis.

Please find something else.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I may look that one up!
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] oh no! I'm so very sorry! I thought I remembered reading something on here about someone loosing a pet due to trifexis, but couldn't find the post again when I looked. I will have to look into that and those side effects!

I still have until the 20th to make my mind up, which is when he gets his heart guard every month. I want to switch to something covering heart worm and fleas and honestly don't know much about any of them.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
When they Sentinel became unavailable I went to 1800 pet meds and looked up other similar products. You can see a comparison chart there and find something better.
I opted for the Flea 4X and Revolution. So far so good.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I use it with Ace. Used it on the maltese as well. But the maltese didn't want to swallow it so my wife has the vet do injection. I can get either dog to swallow the pill. Ace will take it right up but if not I can give like I give Gabe's worm meds. Just stick it way down his throat and hold his mouth shut a couple of seconds.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] thank you! I will go there and look at the chart.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I use it with Ace. Used it on the maltese as well. But the maltese didn't want to swallow it so my wife has the vet do injection. I can get either dog to swallow the pill. Ace will take it right up but if not I can give like I give Gabe's worm meds. Just stick it way down his throat and hold his mouth shut a couple of seconds.

I'm not so much worried about him eating it, he'll eat a rock if I give him one. He eats everything lol! Any pills I've given him (antibiotics, pain meds, allergy meds) I don't even have to disguise it, he'll eat it as is lol.
I'm more concerned with the side effects and the effectiveness of the medicine.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When they Sentinel became unavailable I went to 1800 pet meds and looked up other similar products. You can see a comparison chart there and find something better.
I opted for the Flea 4X and Revolution. So far so good.

THANKS! I heard of revolution, but will look it up. I was really happy with the Sentinel

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use Sentinel, but right now we can't get it so we are using Heart Guard. But as soon as Sentinel becomes available again, we will return to it. I would not use Trifexis, as it can kill your baby.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Why is sentenial off the market?
And ok I've heard one too many bad things about trifexis, don't think I'll go that route. If no one minds me asking, what is it about this medication that is so harmful that is has resulted in death??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Why is sentenial off the market?
And ok I've heard one too many bad things about trifexis, don't think I'll go that route. If no one minds me asking, what is it about this medication that is so harmful that is has resulted in death??

had something to do with an issue at the plant making several drugs.... it was a voluntary halt in production until the company resolved it. Rumor is it will be back sometime this month

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I'm not so much worried about him eating it, he'll eat a rock if I give him one. He eats everything lol! Any pills I've given him (antibiotics, pain meds, allergy meds) I don't even have to disguise it, he'll eat it as is lol.
I'm more concerned with the side effects and the effectiveness of the medicine.

Indeed. I hadn't heard till now that there was any problem with it. Did a quick search and its a bit scary. Ace has only had it once and did Ok but next month will probably ask for something different

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.