Help Needed! Head shaking

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Last night Atticus was playing as usual...he started shaking his head like he was wet, nit really like the tremor videos I've seen. He does when he gets excited and we were playing so I didn't think too much about it. This morning when I woke, I found that he had thrown up during the night. Atticus will throw up if he gets too hot and when I went to sleep he was under his blankets. I clean his ears once or twice a week with a baby wipe so I don't think it was waxy build up...any advice?

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hi there, sounds like maybe he ate something that did not agree. My Nelson suffers with allergies and if he eats something he is allergic too, his ears flair up instantly and I start to see the head shaking and I'm thinking with him being sick also?

Hope he is ok now.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm sure others will say the same, keep an eye on him and see if it continues - especially the vomitting.
Is his other behavior the same? Still eating and drinking, etc??

As for the ears (if it is a separate issue?) - I find that Bacon sometimes paws at his ears even thought they've recently been cleaned. Benedryl usually takes care of that - I think of it as an itch he can't stratch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with [MENTION=4676]thesspa[/MENTION].... keep an eye on him and any change in behavior? Also, do not let them stay under the blankets too long -- they can overheat, which what may have caused the vomit.

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
It was chunks of food...not orangey at all....he's drinking, playing, and running around like crazy. He's still scratching at his ears a little, but I just cleaned them. Maybe I'll try some benadryl if he keeps it up. Poops are normal too...please bear with me the next couple weeks. We're going to Washington dc for a weekend at the end of march and fat puppy is staying home. We've never been apart except for me working. Im a nervous wreck and my crazy overanalyzing make make an appearance in this forum...no promises although I'll try to leash it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It was chunks of food...not orangey at all....he's drinking, playing, and running around like crazy. He's still scratching at his ears a little, but I just cleaned them. Maybe I'll try some benadryl if he keeps it up. Poops are normal too...please bear with me the next couple weeks. We're going to Washington dc for a weekend at the end of march and fat puppy is staying home. We've never been apart except for me working. Im a nervous wreck and my crazy overanalyzing make make an appearance in this forum...no promises although I'll try to leash it

:rofl: -- you just described everyone of us :D

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
glad to hear he's his normal, spry self -
cross check, you know the amount/rules for benedryl, right?

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
one other question - just noticed that you list him as being on Royal Canin... have you thought about changing him over to a better grade food in the future?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hoping your boy feels better and its nothing! Brutus usually does the same when I am finished cleaning his ears...The vomitting would have me scared also but it could be from being too hot or too active after eating. I would watch him closely and see if any better...I agree with above post on trying a food switch to a better food. Take a look at the Dog Food Reccomendations article and if you need any help please just reach out! Not sure if you have a sitter while your out of town but just make sure who ever is watching him knows what to look for :)

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
I really need to change that Atty hasn't been on royal Canin since I found this forum lol.... Hes on blue buffalo and does well! And benadryl 1mg/lb right? Thanks guys!!!! Still playing and eating normally.... I think he just got too hot last night....the whole leaving thing will be a whole other topic lol

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
LOL - silly us... we really shouldn't snoop :blush2:

yes, 1 mg/lb is correct - i give bacon the 25 mg tablets folded into a piece of cheese and down the hatch it goes without a second thought
in fact, he gets excited everytime I go in the medicine cabinet becuase he thinks that means he's getting a treat

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree .. just watch him and hopefully it was just a one-off occurrence!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I've often found that when my dogs frequently shake their ears it's a sign of an ear infection. I also agree it could be a sign of an allergy. Check to make sure your food doesn't contain corn, wheat, or soy. They are known to be allergens.

Most Reactions