General Question Diarrhea with blood

crazy1469

Dec 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Friday night took buttercup out for a walk before bed time and noticed that she had a wee bit of loose stool, but didn't think much of it, then Saturday all day she had diarrhea and started to worry me, this morning my wife takes her out for her morning walk and she comes inside all in a panic that there is quite a bit of blood in her diarrhea!!!....so she comes inside the house with her and poor thing went on the floor inside the house twice....so I boiled up some rice and gave her rice water and mixed the boiled rice in with her kibble, no better, still diarrhea and blood, so I decided that we could not wait till tomorrow to take her in so I took her in to an emergency clinic. The vet is not sure what it is but gave her two needles, some low fat food, and 2different sets of pills

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How frightening for you. Is there any chance she ate something she shouldn't have? Often after several bouts of diaherria there will be blood in it. If its bright red its probably caused by irritation from the diaherria . But I am worried she could be trying to pass something. I would go to my regular vet and request X-rays. Sadly, not all obstructions will show up on X-rays tho. You can give her the bland diet.. No kibble at all. Just rice, boiled chicken ..look up bland diet here. There are lots if threads. I sooo hope she is ok... But if it were me..tomorrow she goes for a thorough going over.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no poor Buttercup. Do you think she could have gotten into something, or eaten an object that you don't know about?. My male Bulldozer has eaten a sock twice and we didn't know about it, or when he had eaten it, the first one he threw up, and the second one he got really sick, started with a lot of diarrhea, and some vomiting, as the day went on he got more and more diarrhea, and had blood in it because of irritation, we brought him to,the vet, and she gave him an X-ray which showed a shadow in his intestines, we still didn't know what it was, just that there was something in his intestines. She gave him some IV fluids, a strong laxative, some pain medications , and some fibre food. We were sent home with the X-rays and she had phoned the Emergency Vet Hospital, because she really thought he was going to need surgery, but that night he did pass the object, which ended up being my Grandsons sock, we were really close to going for surgery if he hadn't of passed it, after he passed it he was fine and back to normal. Just keep an eye on her, signs of obstruction are vomiting, diarrhea, drooling from the mouth, and being lethargic. Hopefully it's nothing serious and she just has an upset stomach, but if it doesn't get better, I would go back to the vet and have an X-ray or a barium enema to see if she has swallowed anything. Feel better Buttercup, and get better soon. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Here are pictures of the sock he passed and the X-ray showing the shadow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 406
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Oh goodness! I hope Buttercup gets better soon. It's no fun when our babies are sick, and even worse when we don't really know what is wrong with them. :(

I am no expert on this sort of thing, but did they xray her for an obstruction as well?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope the meds start working and she gets better soon.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
What color is the blood.....red blood is usually a sign that something is irritated or possibly an intestinal infection. Dark blackish color means something is definitely up that needs to be checked out right away. Prayers coming your way and we hope you and her a quick recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Friday night took buttercup out for a walk before bed time and noticed that she had a wee bit of loose stool, but didn't think much of it, then Saturday all day she had diarrhea and started to worry me, this morning my wife takes her out for her morning walk and she comes inside all in a panic that there is quite a bit of blood in her diarrhea!!!....so she comes inside the house with her and poor thing went on the floor inside the house twice....so I boiled up some rice and gave her rice water and mixed the boiled rice in with her kibble, no better, still diarrhea and blood, so I decided that we could not wait till tomorrow to take her in so I took her in to an emergency clinic. The vet is not sure what it is but gave her two needles, some low fat food, and 2different sets of pills

Is the :poo: mucusy? If yes, I would ask the vet to run a test for giardia

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Had this happen recently, turns out puppy was upset! Not to say that this couldn't be something more serious, but often it turns out to be something as minor as changing a schedule, a spouse leaving for a couple of days, or better yet, they get into something they shouldn't have - around here, it usually turns out to be the kitty littler box....ewwww.... I do everything under the sun to make sure that doesn't happen, but sometimes, SOMEONE (the spouse) forgets to close the door where that is! Hope your baby is better soon.

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Hi [MENTION=7327]crazy1469[/MENTION] I am wondering how old is your Buttercup? When Penelope was a baby and had only been home with us for about a week, she developed diarrhea with blood in it and our vet did a fecal test and it was a parasite. It was very scary for us but she started medication that day and it cleared up pretty fast. Did they take a sample of the stool and test it?

I hope she is well soon.

OP
crazy1469

crazy1469

Dec 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Thank you everyone for your responses and conserns....thankfully butter cup is doing better and reacting well to the medication, the diarrhea has gotten better, there is no more blood. Now as to the mistery of what git her sick is unknown...we aleays keep a close eye on her, didn't notice her eating anything that she should not be eating...important is the she is doing much better.
Thank you everyone

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My bullies have done this very occasionally ... if it's BRIGHT red blood then I immediately put them on the bland diet ... a lot of people do white rice and chicken, or white rice and boiled hamburger meat. Personally, I can guarantee that it will always happen when I have NEITHER chicken or hamburger meat available. I feed Fromm Beef Frittata, so I have a can of their soft food in that flavour in my cupboard at all times. I mix a bit of that into the rice instead!@!

I wish I knew what caused bullies upset stomachs, but no matter how careful you are it seems to happen!

OP
crazy1469

crazy1469

Dec 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Poor little butter cup, her poop is still very very soft, no more bleeding but ahe is gassy as ever, smells like death when she farts....not sure if its from the low fat food the vet gave her or from the pills she is taking, but i am not happy that she still has very soft poop

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.