Help Needed! Weird patches of fur missing and fur changing color.

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Is this a yeast infection brought on by allergies?

We normally fed him TOTW Pacific and then we bought him BB Turkey. I don't know if he has allergies to the Turkey but we changed his food Friday and put him on TOTW Bison and Venison ( Pacific made him fart BAD ). He keeps scratching at the one on his shoulder. And it started bleeding. He has an odor to him now. Keeps licking his paws, between his toes is starting to turn this color too. His chin is getting darker and he is getting tear stains again. We're calling the vet on Monday to see if they can give us any cream maybe.

I am also thinking maybe it could be something he picked up from the dog park? They have a puddle that is always there and looks like a tiny swamp. And they have the regular dog fountains to drink from.

It wasn't so bad before, but the last 2 or 3 days it seems to be bugging him.

016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there! To be honest I dont think its yeast issues....I think that is the start of a hot spot! Usually they appear when there is a food allergy! Has he had an allergy test done? Did you do a slow switch with the food? I would shave the area and clean it very well and keep it dry! It needs air to heal! I will tag some other members who can offer some more advice
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The third picture is a hotspot... shave the area clean with peroxide and keep the area dry and uncovered. You can wipe /spray with yellow Listerine to help keep it dry too.

The other pictures I can not see very well, but I'd say he is having an allergic reaction to something in the food change. Was there a specific reason you switched foods?
You may want to ask your vet about getting a full blood screen allergy test done... make sure there have not been any steroids in the system for a full 30 days before the blood is drawn for testing - steroids in the blood will give false results as they suppress the allergen.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just wondering why you switched food? Was he having problems on the original food? This does look like it's from allergies. As [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said try to shave the hair around it and clean with antibacterial soap and you can put peroxide on it as well then keep it dry.

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I switched food because he was really gassy :( I did do a slow switch. My husband said he was allergic to chicken, so I guess it's all poultry.

Thanks for the advice. I will go do that now and make sure he doesn't scratch at it anymore. I've never had to deal with hot spots. He's never had anything like that. And as far as the other spots, he use to have stains on his chin and in his wrinkles.. They went aw ay and came back there and in his paws and on his chest. I will try to get a better pictures of the stained fur, He is missing some fur on his chest and arm pit where it is discolored.

Thanks for the advice (:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
eeyyyyy looks like a food allergy of some sort to me. poor thing, I'd try a bland diet for a while until you switch to a different food, have you tried Fromm Beef fritatta ? or a different protein base, a fish or a lamb base? until then I would keep those areas clean and dry. Just my thoughts

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.