Help Needed! umblilical hernia ?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and anyone else who would know my potential new puppy's breeder told me today he has a slight umbilical hernia. They have decided to have it repaired. She didn't mention this to me when we first talked. She said the vet told them it was very minor and she wasn't sure it even needed repaired? They said it will just be a few stitches and they want it done before he comes to me so I dont have to worry about it, and they wont worry about him either. they want their vet to do it. what do I need to know about this. Are there potential future issues? How serious is this? Should / would this make it a bad idea to stud him if I ever choose ( i doubt it hope this doesn't sound stupid but trying to cover all bases) should this be a red flag for me ? Can they be minor of is she downplaying this?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake had one too and we waited til he was neutered at 11 months to have repaired. Sometimes they disappear on their own. It did cost an extra $75 on top of neutering..but our breeder paid it.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's usually not serious, its the belly button area is soft and protruding. can be fixed easily by surgery. it's not hereditary. common, but I never had a pup that had this condition. maybe David or Lisa can tell you more.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I should've told you what we learned from our vet..they are easily caused by the Mom's pulling too hard while grooming the pups. Not hereditary .

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ok thus make me feel better

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] they are no big deal and sometimes if they are small will close up on their own. Buy to have it fix is pretty minor. Lucy had one that we had fix shortly after we got her and she has never had a problem with it. Diva had one and we had it fix not too long ago and she is fine. I wouldn't worry about it. As far as breeding, the umbilical hernia, there are two types, one is genetic, and it is rare, and the other type is called a "Delayed closure" which is not genetic. This type sometimes will close on it's own and sometimes will not, this is the most common type.

Last edited:

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank had one and it went away on its own. We were told that they were easy to fix if it ever went that route.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@dozersmama they are no big deal and sometimes if they are small will close up on their own. Buy to have it fix is pretty minor. Lucy had one that we had fix shortly after we got her and she has never had a problem with it. Diva had one and we had it fix not too long ago and she is fine. I wouldn't worry about it. As far as breeding, the umbilical hernia is genetic.

Wow! David..it is? Our vet said the mom is usually the culprit..from biting too close and pulling while grooming! :ohmy:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I changed my post, there are two types, one is genetic and the other is not.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks everyone you've been a lot of help.I will talk to them amd find out how often they have had this happen. Would it be inapprorpriate to ask to speak with their vet about this? I kind of feel like since he is supposed to be a show prospect and since , don't mean to sound like an a$$ , they are asking a pretty penny for him, that Im entitled to as much info as I can get. Someone please let me know if this is in anyway rude or wrong.

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
It's an easy fix, can be done with neutering, which is good because putting your bulldog out once is bad enough, but having to do it twice is not something we want to do. I've heard too that it can be hereditary, and can also be caused by Mom with the grooming. :)

If you are paying a pretty penny, then I think, yes, you should be allowed to ask any question, and speak to the vet. If they are reputable and good breeders, they shouldn't have an issue.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=7946]RAKA Bulldogs[/MENTION] Thanks. I don't want to come off as rude and I've never bought a bulldog from a breeder before so I'm not sure what i should/ shouldn't do. Thankfully they are having it done Monday, so I don't have to worry about putting him under especially since getting him fixed isn't in the plans for quite a while as I hope to show him. Btw that pup of yours is gorgeous!! We haven't met yet. I'm Jen .

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online