Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Duke is sick :(

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default Duke is sick :(

My poor Duke is sick and in the hospital.. He was throwing up Tuesday night and it wouldn't stop so we took him to the ER vet.. they did xrays all clear, bloodwork clear but said his belly seemed swollen. She said I am going to test him and he has pancreatitis.. :crying:

Poor little guy was so uncomfortable.. we are picking him up tonight. they gave him IV meds and fluids but he won't eat for them and is panting.. Duke is 5 and 1/2 and has never been away from us overnight.. I am a wreck.

I need some feedback please.. they want us to change his food!! those of you that know we went through hell and back finding what works and Duke has been using NVI for almost 3 years.. his coat is great and allergies good. they want him on a lower fat diet...

suggestions!! we have a meeting with them tonight.. I guess I am just nervous about a food change..

thank you everyone.. I can't wait to get him.. I miss him so much. :crying: @desertskybulldogs @JAKEISGREAT @2Bullymama

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duke is sick :(

Oh my dear friend...I'm so sorry this is happening...poor Duke!

I will check w/my friend who's dog had pancreatis about diet changes.

Meantime, I will pray for y'all...give Duke a kiss from me.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

Oh poor Duke! I'm glad he's getting to come home!! Did the vet say how much fat he wants in the food? Maybe you can find a NVI with lower fat content than the flavor he's on now?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piamitch View Post
    Oh poor Duke! I'm glad he's getting to come home!! Did the vet say how much fat he wants in the food? Maybe you can find a NVI with lower fat content than the flavor he's on now?
    no they just said they would talk to us tonight but that his food has to be changed .. it must be a lower fat diet ? I will have more info tonight.. he still not eating they said he is having a rough time relaxing..

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

You might consider cooking for him until you find the right kibble. That way you can control the amount of fat. I hope your Duke is feeling better soon!

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    no they just said they would talk to us tonight but that his food has to be changed .. it must be a lower fat diet ? I will have more info tonight.. he still not eating they said he is having a rough time relaxing..
    I know this, No grains, No corn starch, No soy...I know my friend cuts her dog's food intake
    with green beans thereby reducing calories AND fat. Also, Duke needs an enzyme added to
    help him process and digest his food. Raw, green tripe can be added to his foods too.

Still researching and will pm a link to you...and continuing praying for y'all

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuke View Post
    When they did the X-rays did they do a barium X-ray? I ask because he also has the same symptoms as an obstruction. Socks don't show up in X-rays, for example. If I were you I would find out exactly why they want him on (specific crap vet food) so we can find a good one. If its just for weight, you can give less food plus green beans to fill him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I forgot to give you a hug

I still would not rule out obstruction!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Lucy-licious

Can you print the ingredients and food analysis of NVI out and take it to the vet with you. Don't be surprised if they suggest a science diet or something like that. I personally would home cook a while until you can find a low fat kibble

i see @Texas Carol is looking ino it for you too. Give the big fella a big hug from us and a sloppy kiss or two from Lucy and Billy x

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    When they did the X-rays did they do a barium X-ray? I ask because he also has the same symptoms as an obstruction. Socks don't show up in X-rays, for example. If I were you I would find out exactly why they want him on (specific crap vet food) so we can find a good one. If its just for weight, you can give less food plus green beans to fill him up.

thanks so much yes they did do the extensive xray because Duke had an obstruction when he was two.. he is not vomitting or anything anymore. I agree I REFUSE to put him on crap food. they told us he needs to be on a lower fat diet.. ok tell me that and we can come up with a plan. he is NOT overweight.. has been the same 57 pounds for 4 years. and ever since I put him on NVI knock wood no health issues. no more ear infections.. this is very upsetting to me. I guess I have to wait until tonight and see what they say.. just want him home. the nurse said Duke is not happy
    Last edited by BabyDuke; 01-31-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=desertskybulldogs;301932]When they did the X-rays did they do a barium X-ray? I ask because he also has the same symptoms as an obstruction. Socks don't show up in X-rays, for example. If I were you I would find out exactly why they want him on (specific crap vet food) so we can find a good one. If its just for weight, you can give less food plus green beans to fill him up.

Great advice and I was wondering the same thing about if it could be an obstruction?

Also, are they giving him any pain meds -I know Tramadol can make them pant.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;301945]
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post

Great advice and I was wondering the same thing about if it could be an obstruction?

Also, are they giving him any pain meds -I know Tramadol can make them pant.
    yes they are.. thank you guys you are the best.. I am just upset and I am taking his food with him. I called NVI and they suggested maybe switching to salmon?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads