BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Maybe try some hamburger or chicken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I went and got lean ground beef he ate about 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup rice.. thank God.. he is walking funny? hoping its just from being still for 48 hours? thanks everyone.. this is so scary

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Phew .. so glad he ate. I think he will just need to rest now. Im sure he didn't sleep properly as well as not eat when he was away from you. Bless his little heart .. he's such a Mummy's boy!!! :luv:

Let's tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] here too to get their input on the diet changes

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I went and got lean ground beef he ate about 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup rice.. thank God.. he is walking funny? hoping its just from being still for 48 hours? thanks everyone.. this is so scary

He might be totally off ..after spending all that time at vets and not eating. It will take him time to get his legs back. I'm so glad he ate Karen. I will keep him close in my heart. :hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@BabyDuke...

Yea for Duke! You know he MISSED you and just couldn't stand being
there w/out you, Hun...who could blame him!! My GF said it was okay
if he missed some meals (because of the inflammation) it gave his tummy
time to calm a bit before he started eating again (as long as he was getting
IV at vets). Her dog when gets pancreatis is kept from eating for 48 hrs, IV
only, then fed small, boneless, skinless chicken breast (or turkey if allergic)
for a day then a little rice w/that (small amts only) as long as keeping it down.
You could start adding in unsalted green beans in about a week. I think she
feeds this a couple wks. She adds a digestive enzyme, a good quality probiotic
and a good quality mutiVit...after pancreatis is clearly over, to the daily meals.

Hope this helps, if you have questions, I left my ph # on your PM.
Love you guys...keeping prayers ongoing! Carol

Susie Williams

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I am so glad to hear that Duke ate some for you now all he needs is to be loved by his mom and some much needed rest!!! Keep us updated I will keep him him my prayers :pray: give him a big hug :hug2:for me.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, poor Baby Duke.

I'm sorry I'm late to this but I would also seek a possible second opinion on Duke's condition rather than return him to the same vet, if he condition doesn't improve. This sounds serious and a second set of eyes probably isn't a bad thing.

I hope he's back to himself soon. :assurred:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Duke and you, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope Duke feels better soon, and the vet is able to treat and control his symptoms. Feel better soon Buddy. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

I looked up pancreatitis in dogs and this is what it says :

Pancreatitis is an inflammation or swelling of the pancreas. It can be mild or severe. Dogs who take cortisteroids are at a higher risk, dogs with Cushings Disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism are also at a higher risk of developing pancreatitis. These diseases are associated with high serum lipid levels. Pancreatitis is also more prevalent in overweight spayed female dogs, and dogs on high fat diets. An attack may be triggered by eating table scraps, getting into garbage, or a fatty meal.

Pancreatitis is characterized by the abrupt onset of vomiting, and severe pain in the abdomen. Abdominal pain is caused by the release of digestive enzymes into the pancreas and surrounding tissue. Diarrhea, dehydration, weakness, and shock may ensue.

Diagnosis may be suspected based on a physical exam, and is confirmed by a blood test, showing elevated amylase/ lipase levels. An abdominal ultrasound may reveal an enlarged or swollen pancreas.

Symptoms of mild pancreatitis are: loss of appetite, depression, intermittent vomiting, and weight loss.

Following an attack of pancreatitis, the pancreas may be permanently damaged, which can result in diabetes.

Treatment: Dogs with acute pancreatitis require hospitalization to treat shock, and dehydration. The most important step is to rest the gland completely. This is done by giving nothing by mouth for several days, and maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance with intervenous saline solutions. Antibiotics are used to prevent bacterial infections , and pain is controlled with narcotics.

Dogs who recover from pancreatitis are susceptible to recurrent attacks, which can be mild or severe. These episodes can be prevented by eliminating predisposed factors, such as placing overweight dogs on a weight- loss program. Feed the total daily ration of food in 2 or 3 smaller servings to avoid over stimulating the pancreas, and not feeding any table scraps to the dog.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Good Morning everyone
I am so very happy to report that my "gut" was right.. Duke needed to be home to rest.. When we picked him up he was panting so bad ( he normally does not do this ) and looked AWFUL, his face looked swollen and he didn't recognize us:crying: needless to say me and my husband were both in tears. We sat with him and the dr for a good half hour and decided we would try home care ( we all felt his anxiety was through the roof ) at this point blood work was good and the vet said he had no more response to any abdomen pain.. so off we came home half hour ride I held Duke in my arms but the panting was awful.. he came in layed right in his bed but would not eat :( we let him rest a good hour then I coaxed him with some ground beef and ice chips.. yes!!! he began to eat he had a little more but was walking so funny it was scary.. we decided to let him rest.. We all camped out on the living room floor with blankets and pillows. Duke slept til 5 am, he got up drank water ate about 1/4 cup of ground sirloin and rice and did pee pee and is back sleeping and he is walking 90 % better. I am going to do a lot of research on food. the vet said I must change to lower fat and I did see the Natures Variety has a low fat " praire " line.

so grateful he is back to our Duke.. these Bullies are so strong!! and very grateful to all of you here. We have been dealing with some heavy duty stressful family issues and I have not been on much and it was so nice to have such support when I needed it for Duke..

thank you again!! :babysleep: hopefully Duke will continue to rest!

Love, Karen

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So glad to see this report! I just knew getting him home would help.:pray: I hope he continues to get better throughout the day and that soon he will be back to his usual loving soul. :heart: :hug:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Sorry I am late to this but I'm glad that he is home where he belongs.

For the first few days feed him several small meals a day. If you can, try 4 or 5 small meals then slowly decrease the feedings over the next week or 2 until he is back to his normal twice a day. He not only needs low fat but low sodium as well. If he will eat it, mix some spinach into his ground beef and rice. Spinach is high in the Iron and Vitamin B that his pancreas needs to heal. Blueberries for treats too if he will eat them. The berries will help heal any cell damage that was done by this episode and prevent any further damage during the healing process.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry I am late to this but I'm glad that he is home where he belongs.

For the first few days feed him several small meals a day. If you can, try 4 or 5 small meals then slowly decrease the feedings over the next week or 2 until he is back to his normal twice a day. He not only needs low fat but low sodium as well. If he will eat it, mix some spinach into his ground beef and rice. Spinach is high in the Iron and Vitamin B that his pancreas needs to heal. Blueberries for treats too if he will eat them. The berries will help heal any cell damage that was done by this episode and prevent any further damage during the healing process.

Such wonderful advice.... as always!! :luv:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey Karen..so glad to hear Duke is better. He needed to be home. About the NVI Prairie..that's what my daughter feeds her Golden. It isn't grain free. I'm thinking Duke is on grain free..so that's something to consider. We can ask @cowsmom for some foods that might work too..hang in there Sweety..:hug:

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
So glad to read Duke is better. How stressful for you & your family.
be strong, he is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 41

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.