Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duke is sick :(

Please keep us updated I hope he does better tomorrow!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Aww poor Duke and you, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope Duke feels better soon, and the vet is able to treat and control his symptoms. Feel better soon Buddy. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

I looked up pancreatitis in dogs and this is what it says :

Pancreatitis is an inflammation or swelling of the pancreas. It can be mild or severe. Dogs who take cortisteroids are at a higher risk, dogs with Cushings Disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism are also at a higher risk of developing pancreatitis. These diseases are associated with high serum lipid levels. Pancreatitis is also more prevalent in overweight spayed female dogs, and dogs on high fat diets. An attack may be triggered by eating table scraps, getting into garbage, or a fatty meal.

Pancreatitis is characterized by the abrupt onset of vomiting, and severe pain in the abdomen. Abdominal pain is caused by the release of digestive enzymes into the pancreas and surrounding tissue. Diarrhea, dehydration, weakness, and shock may ensue.

Diagnosis may be suspected based on a physical exam, and is confirmed by a blood test, showing elevated amylase/ lipase levels. An abdominal ultrasound may reveal an enlarged or swollen pancreas.

Symptoms of mild pancreatitis are: loss of appetite, depression, intermittent vomiting, and weight loss.

Following an attack of pancreatitis, the pancreas may be permanently damaged, which can result in diabetes.

Treatment: Dogs with acute pancreatitis require hospitalization to treat shock, and dehydration. The most important step is to rest the gland completely. This is done by giving nothing by mouth for several days, and maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance with intervenous saline solutions. Antibiotics are used to prevent bacterial infections , and pain is controlled with narcotics.

Dogs who recover from pancreatitis are susceptible to recurrent attacks, which can be mild or severe. These episodes can be prevented by eliminating predisposed factors, such as placing overweight dogs on a weight- loss program. Feed the total daily ration of food in 2 or 3 smaller servings to avoid over stimulating the pancreas, and not feeding any table scraps to the dog.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Good Morning everyone
    I am so very happy to report that my "gut" was right.. Duke needed to be home to rest.. When we picked him up he was panting so bad ( he normally does not do this ) and looked AWFUL, his face looked swollen and he didn't recognize us:crying: needless to say me and my husband were both in tears. We sat with him and the dr for a good half hour and decided we would try home care ( we all felt his anxiety was through the roof ) at this point blood work was good and the vet said he had no more response to any abdomen pain.. so off we came home half hour ride I held Duke in my arms but the panting was awful.. he came in layed right in his bed but would not eat we let him rest a good hour then I coaxed him with some ground beef and ice chips.. yes!!! he began to eat he had a little more but was walking so funny it was scary.. we decided to let him rest.. We all camped out on the living room floor with blankets and pillows. Duke slept til 5 am, he got up drank water ate about 1/4 cup of ground sirloin and rice and did pee pee and is back sleeping and he is walking 90 % better. I am going to do a lot of research on food. the vet said I must change to lower fat and I did see the Natures Variety has a low fat " praire " line.

so grateful he is back to our Duke.. these Bullies are so strong!! and very grateful to all of you here. We have been dealing with some heavy duty stressful family issues and I have not been on much and it was so nice to have such support when I needed it for Duke..

thank you again!! hopefully Duke will continue to rest!

Love, Karen

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

So glad to see this report! I just knew getting him home would help. I hope he continues to get better throughout the day and that soon he will be back to his usual loving soul.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

Feel better duke!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sorry I am late to this but I'm glad that he is home where he belongs.

For the first few days feed him several small meals a day. If you can, try 4 or 5 small meals then slowly decrease the feedings over the next week or 2 until he is back to his normal twice a day. He not only needs low fat but low sodium as well. If he will eat it, mix some spinach into his ground beef and rice. Spinach is high in the Iron and Vitamin B that his pancreas needs to heal. Blueberries for treats too if he will eat them. The berries will help heal any cell damage that was done by this episode and prevent any further damage during the healing process.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Sorry I am late to this but I'm glad that he is home where he belongs.

For the first few days feed him several small meals a day. If you can, try 4 or 5 small meals then slowly decrease the feedings over the next week or 2 until he is back to his normal twice a day. He not only needs low fat but low sodium as well. If he will eat it, mix some spinach into his ground beef and rice. Spinach is high in the Iron and Vitamin B that his pancreas needs to heal. Blueberries for treats too if he will eat them. The berries will help heal any cell damage that was done by this episode and prevent any further damage during the healing process.
    Such wonderful advice.... as always!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Hey Karen..so glad to hear Duke is better. He needed to be home. About the NVI Prairie..that's what my daughter feeds her Golden. It isn't grain free. I'm thinking Duke is on grain free..so that's something to consider. We can ask @cowsmom for some foods that might work too..hang in there Sweety..

Real Name
    Lois
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max
    Likes (Received)

So glad to read Duke is better. How stressful for you & your family.
    be strong, he is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by twice View Post
    sorry i am late to this but i'm glad that he is home where he belongs.

For the first few days feed him several small meals a day. If you can, try 4 or 5 small meals then slowly decrease the feedings over the next week or 2 until he is back to his normal twice a day. He not only needs low fat but low sodium as well. If he will eat it, mix some spinach into his ground beef and rice. Spinach is high in the iron and vitamin b that his pancreas needs to heal. Blueberries for treats too if he will eat them. The berries will help heal any cell damage that was done by this episode and prevent any further damage during the healing process.
    thank you so much!!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

So good to hear he's feeling better. I hope you find the right way to feed him and he'll be gat to his normal self in no time!

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I am so glad to hear hes feeling better!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads