Help Needed! Duke is sick :(

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
My poor Duke is sick and in the hospital.. He was throwing up Tuesday night and it wouldn't stop so we took him to the ER vet.. they did xrays all clear, bloodwork clear but said his belly seemed swollen. She said I am going to test him and he has pancreatitis.. :crying:

Poor little guy was so uncomfortable.. we are picking him up tonight. they gave him IV meds and fluids but he won't eat for them and is panting.. Duke is 5 and 1/2 and has never been away from us overnight.. I am a wreck. :(

I need some feedback please.. they want us to change his food!! those of you that know we went through hell and back finding what works and Duke has been using NVI for almost 3 years.. his coat is great and allergies good. they want him on a lower fat diet...

suggestions!! we have a meeting with them tonight.. I guess I am just nervous about a food change..

thank you everyone.. I can't wait to get him.. I miss him so much. :crying: @desertskybulldogs @JAKEISGREAT @2Bullymama

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Oh my dear friend...I'm so sorry this is happening...poor Duke!

I will check w/my friend who's dog had pancreatis about diet changes.

Meantime, I will pray for y'all...give Duke a kiss from me.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Oh poor Duke! I'm glad he's getting to come home!! Did the vet say how much fat he wants in the food? Maybe you can find a NVI with lower fat content than the flavor he's on now?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Oh poor Duke! I'm glad he's getting to come home!! Did the vet say how much fat he wants in the food? Maybe you can find a NVI with lower fat content than the flavor he's on now?

no they just said they would talk to us tonight but that his food has to be changed .. it must be a lower fat diet ? I will have more info tonight.. he still not eating :( they said he is having a rough time relaxing..

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
You might consider cooking for him until you find the right kibble. That way you can control the amount of fat. I hope your Duke is feeling better soon!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
no they just said they would talk to us tonight but that his food has to be changed .. it must be a lower fat diet ? I will have more info tonight.. he still not eating :( they said he is having a rough time relaxing..

I know this, No grains, No corn starch, No soy...I know my friend cuts her dog's food intake
with green beans thereby reducing calories AND fat. Also, Duke needs an enzyme added to
help him process and digest his food. Raw, green tripe can be added to his foods too.

Still researching and will pm a link to you...and continuing praying for y'all :2thumbs:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

When they did the X-rays did they do a barium X-ray? I ask because he also has the same symptoms as an obstruction. Socks don't show up in X-rays, for example. If I were you I would find out exactly why they want him on (specific crap vet food) so we can find a good one. If its just for weight, you can give less food plus green beans to fill him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I forgot to give you a hug :hug:

I still would not rule out obstruction!!

L

Lucy-licious

Can you print the ingredients and food analysis of NVI out and take it to the vet with you. Don't be surprised if they suggest a science diet or something like that. I personally would home cook a while until you can find a low fat kibble :hug:

i see [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] is looking ino it for you too. Give the big fella a big hug from us and a sloppy kiss or two from Lucy and Billy x

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
When they did the X-rays did they do a barium X-ray? I ask because he also has the same symptoms as an obstruction. Socks don't show up in X-rays, for example. If I were you I would find out exactly why they want him on (specific crap vet food) so we can find a good one. If its just for weight, you can give less food plus green beans to fill him up.

thanks so much yes they did do the extensive xray because Duke had an obstruction when he was two.. he is not vomitting or anything anymore. I agree I REFUSE to put him on crap food. they told us he needs to be on a lower fat diet.. ok tell me that and we can come up with a plan. he is NOT overweight.. has been the same 57 pounds for 4 years. and ever since I put him on NVI knock wood no health issues. no more ear infections.. this is very upsetting to me. I guess I have to wait until tonight and see what they say.. just want him home. the nurse said Duke is not happy :(

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Great advice and I was wondering the same thing about if it could be an obstruction?

Also, are they giving him any pain meds -I know Tramadol can make them pant.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke

Great advice and I was wondering the same thing about if it could be an obstruction?

Also, are they giving him any pain meds -I know Tramadol can make them pant.

yes they are.. thank you guys you are the best.. I am just upset and I am taking his food with him. I called NVI and they suggested maybe switching to salmon?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So sorry you are going through this :( My brothers Boston had this same issue. They told them he has acute pancreitis something that wont go away but can be managed with a new diet. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] helped me figure out what he needed and shouldnt have. Bascially you would need to cut the fat and sodium out of his diet. He is now doing amazing with the new food (home cooking and now takes multi viatims (puppy). Hugs and kisses to you all! Please give Duke a huge hug and kiss from us! :hug: :pray:

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
We've started putting all three of our dogs (Gracie and the two Yorkies) on the kibble recipe found in the recipe threads. They love it and I control exactly what goes into it. Prayers for a quick recovery.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I am sorry that I have nothing useful to add, but I wanted to send Duke get well soon wishes from Winston and me! We'll be praying for him to feel better ASAP.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.