General Question Infected Anal Glands...Ewww...

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Hello everyone, I have a question: Has anyone ever had the pleasure of having a dog with infected anal glands? How does a dog get infected anal glands? A little history, male, 17 months old, neutered, was "scooting" so owners took him to the vet and they emptied his anal glands figuring that was what was needed and dewormed. A month later and he is still scooting, and they took him back to the vet, and he has infected anal glands. Thank you all in advance for any input, I appreciate it.

Michelle (Oscar's Mom)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I've heard of impacted, but not infected but I'm sure it's always a possibility. My Shih-tzu had to have his glands expressed regularly. My vet said that dogs glands are similar (but smaller) than the scent glands in skunks. He said that firm stools normally cause them to empty regular during BMs, but not always. Sometimes it's necessary the manually express them and sometimes they can be so problematic that they have to be surgically removed, but only as a last resort.

Hope your baby get better quickly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Michelle, do not know about this problem but I know someone WILL come along and help.
I'm new and don't know how to tag (gonna find out soon tho) someone yet.

Just wanted to say, Welcome to EBN and also, your Oscar and your puppies are adorable!

If I lived in Canada, I'd purchase one
:2thumbs:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Likely from the constant scooting bacteria got inside somehow... Is he on antibiotics now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
RAKA Bulldogs

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Thanks guys...I did a little research and it seems that this comes from having explosive poops too often, am I correct in assuming this? He's not my dog, a friend of mine owns him, and yes he is on antibiotics. I'd just never heard of such a thing, impacted yes, but not infected. [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] - thanks! :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks guys...I did a little research and it seems that this comes from having explosive poops too often, am I correct in assuming this? He's not my dog, a friend of mine owns him, and yes he is on antibiotics. I'd just never heard of such a thing, impacted yes, but not infected. [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] - thanks! :)

They need to keep that clean regularily. Even without explosive poops the tail pocket can get traces of poo in it. Here's a couple of good articles I prepped that your friend should read, everyone else too should read. Infected anal glands sometimes will need to be lanced. Infections in the anal gland are quite commen but if left untreated can become a bigger issue for the pet and could result in surgery being needed.

Anal Gland Care - Everything You Need to Know

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most Reactions