URGENT!!! Parvo symptoms?!?!

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
Hey Guys so I have some updates!

When I had gotten home that day, his stool was almost ALL blood:*(. I immediately called the vet, washed him up and brought him in. In the waiting room, he had another accident (was again completely ALL blood) so the vet was able to see the severity of the situation. She brought him in, he got a shot of antibiotics and was given Metronidazole pills to take home. She took a sample of the stool as well for tests.

She called and informed me the following day that the tests were negative (what a sigh of relief!) So he had eaten something he was not supposed to. The only thing I can think of since I have not seen him poop out anything abnormal is the salt from outside. It had recently snowed and it was his first time seeing snow so he was licking everything and I think might have tasted some salt as well :( I do recall he vomitted that same night but wasn't anything major. The apetite loss soon started after that.

Today, woke up and he had another accident :( I'm having a hard time with the antibiotics because of course he doesn't like the bitterness (who does) and he's had this same side effect before where it made him poop more than he already was...As for the bland diet, he doesn't seem to want anything to do with it :( Any suggestions? I'm giving him the rice and chicken as instructed by the vet but he wont eat it...I dont know its because he can smell his medicine hidden it it or what...He hasn't been acting lethargic, even at the vet he was still pretty jumpy, which is a good sign, but my heart's breaking seeing him sad because I can see that he is...:*(

Last edited:
OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
View attachment 36247
This is not the smiling face I'm used to seeing...Looks so sad and its heartbreaking to see him like this...:*(:*(:*(

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hey Guys so I have some updates!

When I had gotten home that day, his stool was almost ALL blood:*(. I immediately called the vet, washed him up and brought him in. In the waiting room, he had another accident (was again completely ALL blood) so the vet was able to see the severity of the situation. She brought him in, he got a shot of antibiotics and was given Metronidazole pills to take home. She took a sample of the stool as well for tests.

She called and informed me the following day that the tests were negative (what a sigh of relief!) So he had eaten something he was not supposed to. The only thing I can think of since I have not seen him poop out anything abnormal is the salt from outside. It had recently snowed and it was his first time seeing snow so he was licking everything and I think might have tasted some salt as well :( I do recall he vomitted that same night but wasn't anything major. The apetite loss soon started after that.

Today, woke up and he had another accident :( I'm having a hard time with the antibiotics because of course he doesn't like the bitterness (who does) and he's had this same side effect before where it made him poop more than he already was...As for the bland diet, he doesn't seem to want anything to do with it :( Any suggestions? I'm giving him the rice and chicken as instructed by the vet but he wont eat it...I dont know its because he can smell his medicine hidden it it or what...He hasn't been acting lethargic, even at the vet he was still pretty jumpy, which is a good sign, but my heart's breaking seeing him sad because I can see that he is...:*(

Maybe he's allergic to THAT antibiotic, I'd call the Vet and request a different one.

A good way to get it down him is to cook ground beef, roll into a ball w/the pill inside.

Feed him a couple small ones so he'll gobble the 3rd one down. If all else fails, ask Vet
if you can crush it then mix w/water and syringe down his throat. Some pills can't be
be crushed, it takes away from their effectiveness so do check.

You can give him 1 tbsp of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to firm up his poop.

Keep us informed, praying for your 'lil guy.

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
Thats the 2nd kind of antibiotic he's had the same effects to...I will try the ground beef thing....I will also call the vet and ask if I can dilute it in the water and syringe it down as you've suggestd. Thank you!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thats the 2nd kind of antibiotic he's had the same effects to...I will try the ground beef thing....I will also call the vet and ask if I can dilute it in the water and syringe it down as you've suggestd. Thank you!

Actually, put the tbsp of pumpkin IN ground beef also, make enough to freeze extra so
you'll have enough to give him all his doses. He's GOT to get his meds down to get well.
Am praying for y'all, Hun :2thumbs:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Such a relief that its not Parvo.. Pups will be pups and no matter how hard you watch them they sneak things in their mouth. Meekos learnt to put his droopy jaws to the ground so they ruffle up and he licks whatevers on the ground. It looks as if he is just sniffin but ive caught him a few times with his tongue on the floor trying to eat somethin hes hidden with his dangly mouth.. Hope she is okay soon. Sendin love from Me & Meeko xx

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
Oh ok I will try that today. Thank you so much for your time and great advice. I will keep you psoted :)

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
Yeah Kimbo is pretty sneaky at times and I've caught him too many times....but of course I can't catch him ALL the time...:( Thank you and Meeko for the support! We appreciate it dearly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.