URGENT!!! Parvo symptoms?!?!

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
I'm an absolute mess :( I had recently posted about ideas for Kimbo's birthday treats when yesterday, I came home to a heaping pill of stool next to Kimbo. This was very loose, tary, watery stool and I found a bit of mucusy blood. I immediately cleaned him off and put him in the porch while I bleached the kitchen. When I went to check on him he again pooped the same thing with the mucusy blood. I'm terrified!!! He's up to date with all his shots. I called the vet but because he had a urinal infection before he was given cefazolin which resulted in bad diarrhea. That was said to be a side effect of the antibiotic. She told me that he would need to be given that again but because of the diarrhea it would probably make it worse. I don't know what to do:crying:She said to keep him hydrated and to see if the symptoms subside. He had vomitted before all this but he had done that before from eating too much or running too fast after eating but got scared when I found out that is also a symptom of Parvo. He hasn't been lethargic, but I can tell he's really upset.:nope:I did some research and it said fast him for 24 hours, then feed him a bland diet for 5 days. Always keep him hydrated and after 5 days add some pumpkin to his kibble. I also heard pedialyte helps or sugar in his water. I wanted to ask here since its more breed-specific. If all else fails I will need to bring him but I want to make sure I do everything on my end first!

I can't help but feel helpless. HELP!!!:crying::crying::crying:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh gosh poor thing, both of you. I don't know what the parvo symptoms are off hand (or if it's even that) but I'll tag a few people and if they can't help you they may know who can. Do call your Vet again if he gets any worse..
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
I did call and she pretty much said that what they can do is the same as I can do...:( keep him hydrated. Since there is no actual cure for Parvo...but he always has bad side effects to antibiotics and usually results in diarrhea and that would just make this worse :( I really hope its not Parvo....He has not vomitted and has not been acting lethargic(He still jumps up and runs out but you can tell he's sad :'() which I heard were symptoms of Parvo...He did vomit a few times before the diarhhea but that was it. Thanks so much!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If you can't keep him hydrated then get him to the vet (or another one) so they can put him on a IV if needed. It's possible he's just having a reaction to the treats, what type did he have? The mucusy blood could be from him straining to go pooh, just not quite sure on that though. Boy I wish I could help more. :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im not sure of parvo symptoms either but vomiting and diarrhea can also be an obstruction but since the vet said he had an infection the anti biotics can cause diarrhea ive heard. when sarah was sick i gave her ice chips as its the only water she would take. you could get a syringe like for babies and shoot the water in his mouth if he will take it. you can do a bland diet and see if that helps and im thinking you can do the pumpkin now to help with the stool. someone will be along soon with more to say im sure. its probably just the infection and anti biotics but if it continues i would take him back in for sure. are you taking his temperature? might want to get a rectal thermometer and make sure he doesnt have a fever to. keep us updated i know its scary when your baby is sick.

BarkingStella

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Peggy ,Stella ,Gabby
Parvo symptoms can vary... But we got to where we could spot them coming in the door at the vet clinic. Usually the pup is very lethargic, not bright at all. The diarrhea has a distinct foul smell that I can't describe...but often the diarrhea is bloody and excessive. It is the blood that makes the smell distinct .Pup usually has no interest in food or water. Hope this helps!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
[MENTION=6065]KimboSlice[/MENTION] How about C-Diff? If he recently had antibiotics, he could have c-diff which is treated with an anti-fungal. Is the feces really funky smelling, almost a gross sweet smell?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope your pup gets better soon and the bland diet works. Plus [MENTION=6420]BarkingStella[/MENTION] is right with the symptoms. I had a pup a long time ago that got parvo. He would vomit and had severe diarrhea and became very lethargic. It was touch and go whether he would make it or not, but with the proper antibiotics he pulled through it. I'm hoping your baby only has a bug and will be fine tomorrow.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending you a hug & kiss (icons not working) and will immediately pray for y'all.

If after all you are doing, you are worried then absolutely get that vet, or another,
to look at your baby. Many here have saved their dogs by following their instincts.
The main thing is to keep him hydrated and you may want to syringe water down
his throat in addition to his drinking, chewing ice cubes, etc., you may want to put
diluted broth in his food.

My experience w/Parvo is they are very, very lethargic.

Again, my very best love to you both & immediate prayers on your behalf! Love, Carol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry to hear that Kimbo is not well, I agree with all the great advice you've gotten, but I am not familiar with parvovirus symptoms, so am not able to add any advice regarding its symptoms, but I would take him to the vet if he isn't getting any better. Whenever my Dozer has diarrhea it's always after he's swallowed something he shouldn't have, and we don't know about, he starts off with vomiting, then the diarrhea , and drooling, then the next day or so , he will either throw up socks, or poop them out, and the other day we came home and he had thrown up a baby wipe.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
We're praying for Kimbo and the rest of your family. Having dealt with parvovirus before, everyone is right with the symptoms. The number one being the smell of the stool....it'll be kind of an irony, coppery smell. Definitely different than anything you've smelled before. Keep us updated. :pray:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I rushed an emergency rescue to the vet one day (Asbury). The doctor suspected Parvo from the smell of the gas she had. It was the most awful smell ever!! Literally made your eyes water.

If the vomiting and diarrhea continue through tomorrow I would get her to the vet with a stool sample.

M

mabel lou

I had a dog 30 yrs ago who got parvo, she was in middle of getting all her shots but cought it, omg the smell of the poop is the grossest smell ever. it literally turns to water poop like a hose. By the time i took her in she was to sick and passed away. Hope your puppy feels better and it just ends up being that she may need to be wormed or something like that,

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
When we first got Meeko we got him home and he had watery stools we thought due to stress of travel .. He kept havin them and started to get mucus and blood in it. He was absolutely fine in himself tho not lethargic or sick. His belly was hard and looked huge.. swollen and bloated.. We took him to vets and it turned out to be worms. He had a dose of worming tablets and a HUGE worm came out of him then after another dose 2 weeks later lots of little ones. It was horrible bless him. Maybe ur little one has caught worms. I have a pic of how his poor belly went but dont know how to upload. With Parvo it says the symptoms will go from minor to severe and life threatenin within hours so u'll know and if theres no vomit or acting lethargic and is upto date with shots id be a bit less worried of it x

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.