Help Needed! Porkys surgery

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
No help needed I thought I listed it as other :( stupid smart phones lol sry guys!!!!

Porky had a big surgery when she was 6 months old shes almost a year and doing great I just wanted to share what she went through in case others have a similar issue it may help :)

When we picked porky up we knew NOTHING about bulldogs at all we just saw her and got her!!! We got her on a Saturday and couldn't get her to a vet until the next Thursday. She took to potty training well as she came to us paper trained so the switch to pee pads was easy except I noticed she would spray sometimes and her belly was always covered in urine. When we got to the vet I asked about this and the vet looked at her and was shocked. Her vulva was about 5 inches higher than it was supposed to be :( n it was inverted we discussed our options n decided to wait until she was spayed to repair it. During the exam she also found an umbilical hernia and discussed microchipping.

Everything went pretty well while we waited she had a constant diaper rash but we kept it pretty well under control with baby wipes!!!

Her surgery day came I was a nervous wreck to make matters worse around 11 am her vet calls to say she is sick and doesn't feel comfortable performing the surgery in the condition she was in but said she would oversee it if I would allow a different doctor to perform it I said ok and the surgery began!!!!!!

She ended up needing her vulva pulled back about 5 inches, hysterectomy, hernia repair, cherry eye surgery, microchipped. The whole surgery took 9 hours :( I called the vet every half hour for an update after 3 hours they started calling me lol!!!! She had to stay there for 3 days :( which I knew major surgery would call for more observation!!!! The vet discussed the surgery with me when I picked her up and explained that her vulva was still inverted he had out her girly parts through so much trauma that he didn't feel comfortable doing anything more at that time just to make sure I keep her clean and dry and she should be ok!!!!! She came home and had some bladder control issues :( poor baby had to relearn to use her girly muscles!!!! About 2 weeks after her stitches were removed she developed a pink lump on her incision site. There was no warmth, no puss, no pain or discomfort. I kept an eye on it for a few days n one day I noticed she whimpered when she sat so I checked again n found a very large abscess, we found a stitch sticking out, pulled it which ruptured the abscess, I squeezed until it bled just blood cleaned it n she has been fine since!!!!

It's been 5 months since her surgery n she's doing great I've found a few stray stitches here n there but nothing I couldn't handle, she's had 2 night time accidents which I assume is something we will always deal with I'm sure that much trauma weakened her muscles a bit!!!!

Here r some pictures of her b4 n after

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359417655.735705.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359417670.986006.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359417699.163969.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Aww. Bless that little baby! To have gone thro so much already!!!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
For Heavens sake, she's had a rough start , her life can only get better :whew:

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
She is a very strong girl :D it makes me very happy knowing she came home with us although we were novice bulldog owners we had the means and desire to give her what she needed to be healthy who knows where she'd be today if she had gone home with someone else!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Holy Crap. Incredible story. I am so glad everything worked out....wow! Poor sweet baby! She looks super duper now tho doesn't she?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Porky was blessed to have you as her parents.

GOD placed her perfectly...so glad she's good to go now.

She's a stunning beauty...as are you, my dear!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Porky was blessed to have you as her parents.

GOD placed her perfectly...so glad she's good to go now.

She's a stunning beauty...as are you, my dear!

Aww thank you :) she is a pretty girl n she knows it lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy sheis doing well now, poor little girl has been through the ringer.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad she found you and visa versa. Poor baby for having to go through such a big surgery so young, but I'm glad all worked out and she is all healed and better. What did your breeder say? , or did you tell her? She's a lucky girl you found her. God bless

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Awwww, she found just the right home when she was lucky enough to go home with you. :heart: And now you are the lucky ones that you get her love for years to come.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.