General Question Lola acting funny after a spay

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola got spayed on Saturday and when I went to get her she was her normal crazy self and all day yesterday she was her usual self and hardly slept at all! Today she has done nothing but sleep! I took her out at 800 this morning to potty, she came right in and got on the couch and went to sleep. It is now 2 pm so 6 hours have went by and she has not gotten up at all. She will wake up when I touch her and lift her head when she sees us moving around but hasnt got up to drink or go potty. Usually by now she has went out. I also noticed her teats down by her girl parts are swollen as well. They are not hot to the touch and her stitches look good so should I chalk this up as her healing? This is so not her personality so its throwing me off a little bit!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would call her vet, this is not normal, usually you have a hard time keeping them quiet. You can also take her temp to see if she is running a fever. I should be between 99 and 101 rectally. Please keep us informed.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Waiting for vet to call back but no fever she just wants to sleep and sleep!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
:( maybe it's just her body recovering but I would still talk to her vet. I am not sure how hyper is Lola but it has been 1 week since Izzy got spayed and she has been a little more sleepy than usual. Not sure if the fact that she is spending most of her time at home made her more calm.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Well the vet finally called back and she said that Lola's teats are swollen from the surgery and the change in hormones. Its the bottom 4 are they fee full like I can feel the fluid in them. Also the vet said she may be sleeping a lot today because she was active yesterday and didn't sleep at all so she thinks she overdid it a little bit. I just went and picked up my oldest child from school so Lola was excited to see her and did get up to give some kisses. If she is still like this tomorrow the vet told me to bring her in as a walk in tomorrow.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
:( oh I hope Lola is feeling better. I agree with both the vet n David it's not normal (my girl decided 4 days after she came home was a great time to learn to climb the stairs at 100mph lol) but porky has worn herself out one day n then slept all day the next :) usually when she sees her doggy friends lol!!!! Keep us updated though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Prayers for a speedy and easy recovery. We'll be going through the same thing in a couple of months...I'm gonna be a wreak lol

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
it is scary that is for sure! I was a nervous wreck just because you just never know what could happen but a spay it pretty common and I asked my vet all about odds so I felt pretty good about it!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd worry too - but that's what I do when it comes to my pups! LOL Glad you called the vet. If something doesn't feel right -- it probably isn't. Best to check it out!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
just checked back for an update, glad to here the vet thinks she is probably ok. Hope she is feeling back normal in no time.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hadn't been able to post due to being 'under the weather' but did want you
to know I've kept y'all in my prayers. Was checking in to see what vet told had
thought was going on w/Lola...so relieved Lola's responding better. Give her
a soft hug from me! Much love, Carol

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
Willow was spayed last thursday and she wants to keep running around and trying to play with Henry. So my day is trying to keep her quiet.Today I seperated them and I went int o dining room and she just started to race around it trying to get me to play with her.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola tonight still isn't to her normal self she is sleeping a lot but she has ate dinner and drank some. When her vet called back she said Lola might think she is having a false pregnancy because I guess she was close to going into heat on saturday and would have went any day but she had some bleeding at 6 months so im not sure how this could be possible so I didn't mention that earlier because it just seems weird to me but her teats are really full feeling and hanging down when she walks its is really odd! I can feel fluid in them it doesn't feel like knots just fluid. Her nipples haven't changed it like the breast tissue itself has changed does that make sense? I have never seen her boobs like this, when she sits they sag to the ground I think im going to research it on the internet.

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
Sounds like a false pregnancy to me but Im no vet. Hope you figure it out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.