Help Needed! I just want to cry for my poor baby......

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Woke up this morning to a horrible smell coming from the living room- my poor baby had at least 3 or 4 bouts of diarrhea last night- all over his crate, his bed, the walls, the floor, everywhere!! He has had nothing new- but this looks like more than something he ate. He also went 3 times since getting up, all water! My poor little guy is now sleeping on a pile of laundry that I threw out of the washer so I could get his bed clean! No vomiting, but he is very quiet. Will call the vet and it looks like he's back on a bland diet for the time being! He has completed all his shots, and up until yesterday, his stools were formed, but he was having 5-6 a day. We just got him off the bland diet over a 14 day period weaning him back on his kibble. So frustrating! Any thoughts?? No new treats, and no well meaning neighbors feeding him. I am at a loss!

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
Poor baby, this happened to one of our dogs last year, except he had blood coming out along with the water, took him to the emergency vet, they hooked him up to an IV due to dehydration, gave him some meds to calm his stomach, after a few hours he was sent home and was back to normal in a couple of days, they suspected it was something he ate, he had gotten into the trash a few days before the incident. I am sure your baby will be fine and back to normal in no time, but a vet visit is a must.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor baby and poor you. I know how I'm a wreck when ever my baby is not feeling well. I have no wisdom here, I think it's best to take him to the vet and if everything checks out consider home cooking for him.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would take him to the vets and ask them for a blood test and stool test just to make sure. If you have been gradually reintroducing the kibble I would have expected some reaction before now. Not sudden diahorrea over night!!

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Yep, just spoke to the vet. He wants me to give it a day on the bland diet and start him back on the flagyl. If the diarrhea does not resolve today, he will go in tomorrow for blood work. Sounds reasonable to me. I do not think it is his food. I think he may have gotten into something outside despite my watching him like a hawk! Poor baby!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor thing. I hope it isn't something bad. Mine have all gone thru loose stools etc but this sounds like something abnormal for everyday type of diarrhea. :(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hey Mary,

Emma went through a bout of the runs last summer and would periodically throw up (Wilson too). It was horrible and so bad that one time that poor Jack was in the crate next to her and she projectile chit all over his face, she sharted on him! :bigeyes: I came home to a spotted chit-faced Jack. It happened another time too and there was chit all over her crate, all over here and all over my walls. I had to take the entire crate and crate pad outdoors and scrub it. After a couple of months of this going on, I finally took her into the vet as I suspected she was getting sick from the lake water that they were swimming in (it was an inlet channel where the water didn’t move too much). She ended up having a cryptosporidium infection all that time. Looks like a blood work is really in order now.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Don't forget about the plain pumpkin too , 1 tbsp. a day

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just had the same thing happen to me this past weekend with Dozer, he had 4 bouts of diarrhea, until the afternoon, then seemed okay, he was eating, drinking and playing normal, but seemed to sleep more, he was also eating tons of snow when we went outside, something he doesn't do normally, I suspected he had eaten something, so kept a close eye on him, yesterday after the diarrhea stopped , he had a normal poop later on, so I thought he was ok, we went out to a friends for a couple of hours, and when we got home, we found a pile in his cage, we thought it was poop, but he had thrown up in his cage, it was a baby wipe, we don't know wher e he got it or when, but I'm glad he g otbitbup, and now he's totally back to normal. My Dozer thinks he's a goat lol and eats everything, he's eaten sticks , rocks, pinecones, and inside his treat od choice is socks. He has eaten socks twice, and both times the same symptoms, diarrhea, drooling, and sometimes vomiting, these are all signs of obstruction, and usually when this happens they will pass something by either pooping or vomiting it out, and this can be long after they've swallowed it. Just keep an eye on Bogart, and keep checking his poop to see if he passes something, otherwise if it doesn't go away, I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. Keep us posted, and I hope you find what's wrong, and Bogart feels better soon. Hugs and kisses for Bogey

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little fella..... keep us posted Mary,, I sure do hope he is better soon

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby, he sure has had a bad time of this. Hope he gets better soon, and your vet can get to the bottom of it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Please be sure they check him for coccidia and giardia. Also colitis. Not just worms. This has been an issue far too long. The bland diet and flagyl, canned pumpkin could be masking the symptoms. If he were mine I would put him on a 5 day coarse of albon just to make sure there is no bad bacteria growing in his intestines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.