Help Needed! Spay incision red, bumps and lumps

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy was spayed last Monday and yesterday I started noticing her incision getting red around it and also a lump underneath it on the side. When I touch it it feels hard but she doesn't show any sign of pain. Her vet is closed tomorrow but I might rush her to te animal hospital to have it checked. Has anybody had this problem after spaying their dog? I will post a picture here tomorrow :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Does Izzy still have her stitches in? If she does, it could be redness from the stitches, or even an allergy to the sutures. They are supposed to come out after one week, when Blossom was spayed , I brought her back a week later to remove them, and for a follow up after surgery. Does it look like there is any pus from the suture site, or fever? , as these would indicate an infection. If not, then I would probably leave it until Monday when your vet opens, and that will be a week after surgery, and have them remove the stitches. Also the bump may be normal scar tissue, because about a month after Blossoms surgery, I was rubbing her belly one day, and I felt her scar area, it was raised and seemed to be bumpy. I asked her vet, and she told me it was normal healing of the scar tissue, that it would be raised for a while, and would eventually disappear. She was spayed 4 months ago, and the scar is completely flat now, it took about 3 months. If izzy is otherwise okay, and not sick, doesn't have any pus, or fever, and the scar and surgical site isn't giving her any trouble like pain , then your probably okay to wait until Monday and let your vet remove the stitches, and at the same time he can check the scar, and assess if its healing okay. If you are worried there might be some infection, you could put some peroxide on the scar area, and some Polysporin as well. She's probably okay. Don't worry, I know easier said than done, but it's probably just normal healing. Keep us posted.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm with Vikinggirl here. If she's fine otherwise and the incision doesn't feel hot just keep it clean and keep on eye on her.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea had an allergic reaction to her internal sutures too. It looked terrible - but nothing we could do but "ride it out". The sutures dissolved and she healed.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would think if it doesnt get worse then just leave it. sarah actually had one of her sutures pop out of the skin. i agree with what viking girl said. just keep an eye on it.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
image.jpg@Vicaroo1000 [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] - just putting some pictures so you all can see if it is just part of the healing process or if I should be worried about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,541

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, after looking at the pictures, it looks it might be a little infected, but if it is it's a small area. If she doesn't have a fever, and the incision site is not warm or hot to the touch, you can wait until Monday to see your own vet and have the stitches removed, they are supposed to come out a week after surgery, so will exactly be on time, then the vet can assess if it is an infection and if it needs any treatment like antibiotics, or just Polysporin. You can put some Peroxide on it in the meantime. It doesn't look like its really infected like crusty, or oozing. The other thing I was thinking it could be is a Keloid, which sometimes forms on a scar when it's healing, it's like a extra layer of skin that forms like a bump, on the scar, they aren't dangerous, but again I'm not a vet, so it's best to take her in tomorrow for her 1 week post surgery checkup, have the stitches removed, and have him check the bump out. Keep us posted.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
View attachment 36053@Vicaroo1000 @RiiSi @Vikinggirl - just putting some pictures so you all can see if it is just part of the healing process or if I should be worried about.

Ok, it looks like a sac of fluid build up from a reaction to sutures. Scrimps had this and I had to argue with the vet to drain it via syringe When they finally did, they agreed I was correct. In the mean time, I notice the area seems to be a little dirty. You really need to get in there and clean it out. Use a wash cloth and cotton swab with antibacterial soap on it. rinse well and dry. If the stitches are still in, and you feel comfortable taking them out, I use a toenail clipper and snip the thread and pull at the knot end to pull the thread through. If not wait until the vet comes in. In the mean time take her temp anal with a bit of Vaseline on the bulb. temp should be 101 f

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Please keep us updated on how this turns out! It does look irritated!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] - temperature is 101.3 F. I don't see stitches, I think they might be internal and they are supposed to dissolve because I don't have a follow up appointment to remove them. I cleaned the area with a wash cloth and used my duomo pads to clean around it. Then I applied some neosporin on top since the skin looks dry, is that okay? I touched the red area and it doesn't feel puffy, like there is fluid inside, but just a little irritated. No pus or blood is there except for the redness of the skin. Also she has no pain when I touch it.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg@Sherry - temperature is 101.3 F. I don't see stitches, I think they might be internal and they are supposed to dissolve because I don't have a follow up appointment to remove them. I cleaned the area with a wash cloth and used my duomo pads to clean around it. Then I applied some neosporin on top since the skin looks dry, is that okay? I touched the red area and it doesn't feel puffy, like there is fluid inside, but just a little irritated. No pus or blood is there except for the redness of the skin. Also she has no pain when I touch it.
just took new pictures (yes she is now sleeping, I guess she enjoyed the cleaning service!)

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
View attachment 36073View attachment 36074View attachment 36075@Sherry - temperature is 101.3 F. I don't see stitches, I think they might be internal and they are supposed to dissolve because I don't have a follow up appointment to remove them. I cleaned the area with a wash cloth and used my duomo pads to clean around it. Then I applied some neosporin on top since the skin looks dry, is that okay? I touched the red area and it doesn't feel puffy, like there is fluid inside, but just a little irritated. No pus or blood is there except for the redness of the skin. Also she has no pain when I touch it.
just took new pictures (yes she is now sleeping, I guess she enjoyed the cleaning service!)

I love the last pic :) very cute!!! Poor baby idk porky had something similar on her butt from her "dissolving" stitches one didn't dissolve and it got infected and abscessed it looked similar to that until the abscess started!!!! Actually a lotttttt of her dissolving stitches didn't dissolve all the way :( I'm still pulling em out 5 months later!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
She's really clean !!! holy smokes!!! I wouldn't worry about her for now, keep your eye on her. It the area gets bigger or feels hot to the touch, then that may be the sign to call the vet. Such a cutie!!:2thumbs: I wouldn't even put anything else on it since the site is closed nicely

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I love the last pic :) very cute!!! Poor baby idk porky had something similar on her butt from her "dissolving" stitches one didn't dissolve and it got infected and abscessed it looked similar to that until the abscess started!!!! Actually a lotttttt of her dissolving stitches didn't dissolve all the way :( I'm still pulling em out 5 months later!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my bullmastiff was spayed I pulled suture material for a couple of years! I would keep a close eye on it. If it starts to look worse, becomes hard, red, and angry looking I'd call your vet. If it starts to drain fluid, I would also call, though if it is a pocket of fluid you want it to come out so she doesn't start growing bacteria in it. Keep an eye on her temp too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is the incision looking now.... Porky doing OK?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.