Help Needed! Itchy Ear Question

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Over the last four days my bulldog puppy, who I've had for about four weeks, has been scratching and rubbing her left ear more and more. And this morning I could tell it was causing her discomfort. I have called the vet and left a voicemail to hopefully get an appointment ASAP. I'm guessing it is either an ear infection or ear mites. I have been cleaning her ears on a regular basis since we got her and have always gotten a lot of brown gunk out of the left ear, which I thought was normal since she has had it since day one, but I am now reading this might be a side effect of ear mites.

While I am waiting to hear back from the Vet I figured I would post here and see if I could get any additional help.

Thanks in advance,
BM

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like an ear infection, and a vet visit and some meds are in order. Hope you can get her in today.

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Thanks! If I can't get her in to my regular vet today do you think I should take her to the 24/7 emergency vet clinic? I'm afraid I might have let the infection last too long already...

L

Lucy-licious

Sounds like a fungal ear infection to me xx drops will have it cleared on no time xx

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Agree - sounds like an infection...hopefully not chronic!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
chronic ear infections and brown gunk and such can be a sign of a food allergy so keep that in mind. since it is a puppy i would take her in and get her checked and get some meds. when i got some for my dogs ears i always had some left over and kept it if i needed it again. i also use chloraseb flush which is for yeast and bacteria in my dogs ears if they seem to be having trouble but not sure on a small puppy you may want to ask about it. its ketaconazole and chlorhexidine together. i so hope she gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Glitzy doing?

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Well, we are still battling this issue. Turns out it was a yeast infection related to an allergic reaction she had to a vaccine. It seems like it started in her ear but then spread all over her skin and her face got pretty pink. The vet prescribed a medicine that we are still giving her (don't have the name of medicine in front of me). But it hasn't fully cleared up. So I am taking her back to the vet today.

It doesn't seem to be bothering (itching) her as much but her skin is still looks really irritated.

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Fluconazole is the name of the medicine the vet prescribed. Also gave her a bath using tea tree oil shampoo which seemed to help.

Going to try and make the switch to Fromm too to see if that helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.