Help Needed! Elly jumped out of my arms - now limping

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I feel HORRIBLE. I was getting out of the truck with Elly and as I leaned over to put her down, she jumped from my arms. As she landed she rolled completely over and started screaming out in pain. I grabbed her, brought her inside, and tried to calm her down. She is limping on her back left leg. At first, she wouldn't put any pressure on it, but she has started to put it down a bit more (still not putting much pressure on it, though). She doesn't seem to be in any pain at the moment, and shows no signs of discomfort when I touch or manipulate her leg. Nevertheless, I'm terrified that she may have torn her CCL or partially dislocated her hip (I really wish they didn't have a WebMD for dogs, lol). I already have an appointment with her vet for tomorrow at noon (I am away from home right now, which is why I didn't bring her in right away...I have already located two emergency vets in my current area in case things get worse, though). Have any of you guys dealt with anything similar? Like I said, I feel HORRIBLE, but I'm trying to remain calm and put my mind at ease a bit. I'm really, really hoping it's just a sprain or deep bruise, but I can't get that image of her yelping out of my head. :(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm hoping she's going to be ok. Glad to see she's going to the vet tomorrow. She could have pulled a groin, tore a muscle, fracture, or the worst, ccl injury. Wilson has pulled his groing a few times and prednesone helped quite a bit. Poor girl and you. :hug:

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Poor little girl.
Hopefully she's ok. Smart to take her to vet just in case though. Giver her a big kiss from me please.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Take a deep breath, she is already improving sounds like. Glad you are getting her checked out and should either way, just to be sure. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Thanks everyone.

I let her sleep for a couple of hours. Her leg seems to be a bit better. She used it while getting up from a laying position. Still not putting a ton of weight on it when walking, but it's better nonetheless.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Poor baby. My Lucy has pulled a few muscles and injured her back leg a few times--the vet always recommends keeping them off the leg as much as possible. Keep her in a crate or confined area (bedroom, etc) to keep activity to a minimum. When she goes out to potty you may want to take her out on a leash so she doesn't chase a rabbit or get a burst of energy and start running and aggravate they injury. Avoid steps if you can.

You will know more tomorrow after the vet exam but it is good news she is showing improvement.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Thanks. I have her in her crate right now and she's sleeping on the leg with no signs of discomfort. I just had her outside and she peed without any problems. I didn't have her on a leash, but my mother and I were right next to her. I'm not too concerned about her taking off - she doesn't exactly have the highest prey drive. In fact, just yesterday about five deer ran right in front of her and she barely gave them a second glance. She apparently has better things to be concerned with, lol.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Poor baby, I hope she gets better and it's nothing serious. When Ulysses is too excited to go out he jumps two or tree steps at a time when we go downstairs. Yesterday he landed weirdly, I new it was gonna become something the moment he stood up. He is now limping just a little, specially when he wakes up from a nap. Today we went to the vet for an unrelated issue, but I took advantage and had the vet look at his legs too. She made him walk a bit and said it didn't seem to bad. So she gave us some pills called Traumeel for him to take for a couple of days. They are supposed to be homeopathic and recommended for minor bruising or pain, and they don't have as many side effects as other pain medications do. I have never tried them before, so we'll see how they work. Fingers crossed Elly will be just fine :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally feel your pain and worry. When I read the title of your post, it brought back the memory of my Dozer. My very first evening with my new pups, we were out in the front yard, and all my neighbours were out and cooing and playing with the new pups of the neighbourhood, after everyone had gone inside, I tried to get the 2 of them to come back into the house, I couldn't get both of them to follow me, Blossom followed me to the door, but Bulldozer just kept running around, so I scooped him into my arms, and started to carry him to the house, Blossom was still on the lawn, and Dozer wanted to get down with her , he was squirming and trying to get loose, and so I started to put him down, but he jumped out of my arms as I was bending down to put him down. Thank goodness for that because otherwise he would have fallen from a higher level If I had been standing up. He howled and cried so much, the sound was ear piercing, my neighbour across the complex came running over to my house and grabbed him, she was crying, I was crying, he cried and yelped for about 15 mins, but it seemed like forever, my neighbour was massaging his leg, we thought it was his hip, or leg, because he had rolled out of my arms, and landed on his side on the grass. When we put him down , he wouldn't walk on it at all , he was holding his leg and foot up and hopping. Since it was night time, my vet wasn't open , so I kept him beside me, on a pillow, and I let him sleep with me on my bed, he was fine as long as you didn't move him, but since I had to carry him out to go pee, he would start yelping again when I moved him. I didn't even call the vet in the morning, I just drove there and parked outside until they opened and took him inside, the vet checked his leg, and watched him on the floor, she was pretty certain nothing was broken, but wanted an X-ray to be sure, the X-ray showed nothing was broken, she took a X-ray of both legs to compare, and she checked his growth plates, and thankfully no broken bones. She said it was a soft tissue injury or a sprain, and gave him pain medication and anti-inflammatory meds to take for 5 days. He favoured that leg, ( which turned out not to be his leg , but the top of his foot or paw) , for 4 days, and then started walking on it again, and was fine after that. I felt terrible for dropping him, and I had so much guilt for hurting my baby. Don't be so hard on yourself, it happens and it was an accident, you're trying to be careful by carrying them out of the car, but they are such a heavy dog, and an awkward shape, and they are so quick , that before you know it, they have jumped out of your arms. I would take her tithe vet tomorrow and have an X-ray just to be certain nothing is broken, and for peace of mind, but it probably is just a sprain or bruise and will heal. Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow, and it's nothing serious. Keep us posted and let us know what the vet says tomorrow. Feel better Elly.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I totally feel your pain and worry. When I read the title of your post, it brought back the memory of my Dozer. My very first evening with my new pups, we were out in the front yard, and all my neighbours were out and cooing and playing with the new pups of the neighbourhood, after everyone had gone inside, I tried to get the 2 of them to come back into the house, I couldn't get both of them to follow me, Blossom followed me to the door, but Bulldozer just kept running around, so I scooped him into my arms, and started to carry him to the house, Blossom was still on the lawn, and Dozer wanted to get down with her , he was squirming and trying to get loose, and so I started to put him down, but he jumped out of my arms as I was bending down to put him down. Thank goodness for that because otherwise he would have fallen from a higher level If I had been standing up. He howled and cried so much, the sound was ear piercing, my neighbour across the complex came running over to my house and grabbed him, she was crying, I was crying, he cried and yelped for about 15 mins, but it seemed like forever, my neighbour was massaging his leg, we thought it was his hip, or leg, because he had rolled out of my arms, and landed on his side on the grass. When we put him down , he wouldn't walk on it at all , he was holding his leg and foot up and hopping. Since it was night time, my vet wasn't open , so I kept him beside me, on a pillow, and I let him sleep with me on my bed, he was fine as long as you didn't move him, but since I had to carry him out to go pee, he would start yelping again when I moved him. I didn't even call the vet in the morning, I just drove there and parked outside until they opened and took him inside, the vet checked his leg, and watched him on the floor, she was pretty certain nothing was broken, but wanted an X-ray to be sure, the X-ray showed nothing was broken, she took a X-ray of both legs to compare, and she checked his growth plates, and thankfully no broken bones. She said it was a soft tissue injury or a sprain, and gave him pain medication and anti-inflammatory meds to take for 5 days. He favoured that leg, ( which turned out not to be his leg , but the top of his foot or paw) , for 4 days, and then started walking on it again, and was fine after that. I felt terrible for dropping him, and I had so much guilt for hurting my baby. Don't be so hard on yourself, it happens and it was an accident, you're trying to be careful by carrying them out of the car, but they are such a heavy dog, and an awkward shape, and they are so quick , that before you know it, they have jumped out of your arms. I would take her tithe vet tomorrow and have an X-ray just to be certain nothing is broken, and for peace of mind, but it probably is just a sprain or bruise and will heal. Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow, and it's nothing serious. Keep us posted and let us know what the vet says tomorrow. Feel better Elly.

Thanks for this post. Dozer sounds like he was doing pretty much what Elly's doing, only she didn't cry for more than a few seconds (that was still a few seconds too long!) And you're right about them being tough to hold. I've never encountered a dog with such odd weight distribution - it seems like 80% of her weight is in her front half.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Your welcome, I'm sure she'll be okay, but it never hurts to have the vet check it out. Is she walking on her leg, or favouring it? It cost $300 for 2 X-rays and the exam, thankfully we bought insurance for both the pups when we bought them, so we are covered for 80% of any illnesses, or accidents.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
She's not walking on it yet, but she is putting it down a bit more while standing/eating. She still doesn't appear to be in any pain, so that's good.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hoping for the best when she sees the vet!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would advise you to get it checked out as soon as you can. Doesn't sound as if anything is broken and Im hoping its just a pulled muscle. BUT our bully babies often have such a strong tolerance to pain that they just don't show it.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy their screams are horrid aren't they? Well Cutty hurt himself one time while camping and screamed like a baby. He felt better the next day or so. Now when he ore his acl he didn't do that scream but he didn't walk on his leg at all for a bit. It was like it was broken to see, then he started using it within a day or 2. Glad you r getting to the vet but try not to worry yet, it could be so many things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.