Help Needed! My Bulldog hot spot are getting worst. May i ask if any one know what should i do?

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi,

Recently i posted in here about my bulldog has a skin problem and as i was told he has Hot spot issue.

Right after i get off work today i see his hot spot is bleeding.

May i ask what should i do? I took him to the vet on last saturday and the vet told me to use medicated shampoo to see if he could get better but today it even worst.

May i ask what else i can do?

Thank you for all your help.

photo.jpg

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I highly recommend the following:

Chlorhex 2X 4% Shampoo, 8 oz.
ChlorHex 2X 4% Spray, 8 oz

I'm not sure if you can find these at a retail store but I order on Amazon. Use them at the first sign of a hot spot.

Maybe someone can recommend something readily available until you can get these but they really work fast.

good luck!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I highly recommend the following:

Chlorhex 2X 4% Shampoo, 8 oz.
ChlorHex 2X 4% Spray, 8 oz

I'm not sure if you can find these at a retail store but I order on Amazon. Use them at the first sign of a hot spot.

Maybe someone can recommend something readily available until you can get these but they really work fast.

good luck!

Are these over the counter products or will her Vet have to prescribe them?????
Where do you get yours?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Shave the area and wash it with hibiclens or another antibacterial soap, it needs air to dry out or it will continue to spread. Put any product with bacteria killer and drying agent in it like yellow listerine, malacetic, witch hazel, ect.... then apply some sort of steroid cream like hydrocortisone in a small amount, just enough to relieve the itching. If you have malacetic ultra that's your best bet. Do this 3 times a day.

Do you know what caused the hot spot? For that area I would say food or collar is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Shave the area and wash it with hibiclens or another antibacterial soap, it needs air to dry out or it will continue to spread. Put any product with bacteria killer and drying agent in it like yellow listerine, malacetic, witch hazel, ect.... then apply some sort of steroid cream like hydrocortisone in a small amount, just enough to relieve the itching. If you have malacetic ultra that's your best bet. Do this 3 times a day.

Do you know what caused the hot spot? For that area I would say food or collar is the culprit.

What Lisa said :2thumbs:

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Thanks for everyone who reply.

I will try when i get home.

May i ask if vet is necessary?? because i read some articles online and they said in order to recover they need shots.

He has hot spots week and i've been using anti itch cream since day one, but till yesterday one spot start bleeding.

Thank you.
@desertskybulldogs. @Sherry

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for everyone who reply.

I will try when i get home.

May i ask if vet is necessary?? because i read some articles online and they said in order to recover they need shots.

He has hot spots week and i've been using anti itch cream since day one, but till yesterday one spot start bleeding.

Thank you.
@desertskybulldogs. @Sherry

If you follow these directions..they should clear up. But you need to figure out what is causing them. Desertskybulldogs was suggesting..most often it's a reaction to the food the bully is eating. What food is he on?

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
I'm feeding him Pedigree dry food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm feeding him Pedigree dry food.

If it continues to get worse don't hesitate to see your vet. If they give a shot it will most likely be a steroid which will help, but also mask the issue. Once the steroid wears off the hotspots will likely come back.

How old is your bully, and how long on this food? It is a very low grade food with loads of corn, grains, fillers, and junk. Bulldogs rarely do well on these foods. Check out the dog food ratings to find a better choice for your bully.

Hotspots usually come from an allergic reaction to food. Please keep us posted on your progress.

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi,

Thanks for your advise i will purchase those 6 Star food for him tonight, since i'm going to petsmart may i ask what else do you suggest me to buy to keep him healthy or help him recover faster.

Thank you

If it continues to get worse don't hesitate to see your vet. If they give a shot it will most likely be a steroid which will help, but also mask the issue. Once the steroid wears off the hotspots will likely come back.

How old is your bully, and how long on this food? It is a very low grade food with loads of corn, grains, fillers, and junk. Bulldogs rarely do well on these foods. Check out the dog food ratings to find a better choice for your bully.

Hotspots usually come from an allergic reaction to food. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
the biggest thing with bulldogs is diet. then their skin, which will always tell you there's something going on. keep the hot spot area dry, what I mean by that is put things on it that will dry it out.
If you give a him bath, try using a dish detergent, like Dawn. rinse the soap off real good and then, with 1cup white vinegar to 1 gal of water. pour this over him and leave it on, don't rinse it off. Dry like usual

Please keep us posted

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

^^^^^ EXACTLY! :D

Hotspots are usually a reaction to an allergen.... maybe think about asking your vet for a full blood screen allergy test to help you know what to avoid for your bully

OP
J

jxonla

Aug 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humber
Hi,

I changed his food(5 Stars) since yesterday and bought a Anti-Itch Spray for dogs(NUTRI-VET).

but when i came home last night i see his hot sport is turning yellow and green.

May i ask if it is normally?

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 116

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.