Help Needed! This is a long one, but I need help if you're willing to read!

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I need help figuring out if this is a coincidence, or if these skin issues are related.
I'll back track a bit. I got my bully when he was around 4 months old and I used to work at a small pet store specializing in pet nutrition (allergies, only grain free food, etc.) so I was very educated in this and thought finding the perfect food would be no problem, or so I thought. While working there I saw it all, everything that allergies cause, the effect, saw successes, saw both extreme and mild cases, etc. I was able to help all of those people with no problems, so I figured finding the right food would be a breeze! Well, I was wrong.. IT WAS NOT EASY AT ALL!!! When I got him he was on IAMS, which was a huge red flag for me. I tried finding a grain free puppy formula with no chicken because it is the most common protein source allergy. Failed attempt after failed attempt, pet store after pet store, I gave in on Blue Buffalo Longevity, the fish formula. It is not grain free, but doesn't have a lot of grain and planned on switching when he was a few months older. He did horrible, so I couldn't wait any longer. My parents dogs took extremely well to TOTW so I figured why not switch to something I've actually seen work, and I ignored the fact that it had some chicken. I switched to the newest TOTW, which I believe is the beef formula, and I wasn't very pleased with it but it was an improvement. I then switched to Merrick Duck and Potato because the ingredients were pretty limited and I know this is good for bully's sensitive digestion system. This was probably the worst of them all, I think the potato didn't agree with him. I felt bad that I kept switching his foods in such a short period of time so I decided to go back to the TOTW, this time the bison and venison formula, because he had already been on TOTW and it showed the best results. My plan was to switch to this until he was old enough to switch to an adult food (so many more options in adult food). A few weeks or month ago I decided he could finally be on an adult food and switched him to Wellness Core Ocean. I thought this would be the absolute best option, I researched many foods so I knew exactly what to go to when I could switch to adult. I picked it because it had good protein and fat, it was very limited ingredients, it was a fish based food for a healthy coat, it has good levels of glucosamine and chondroitin, and some other factors contributed as well. I really liked everything about this food, and thought it would be my best option. Made the switch, and FINALLY something was going good. Tear stains gone, his stool was the best its ever been, shedding reduced a bit, and he just seemed happier. I made this switch in the middle of visiting my family over Christmas break (was there for a month) and as soon as we got back home, things started to go downhill. During my visit I noticed his paw was really red, and I can't remember if I noticed this before or after this switch, but I figured it was because of the ground at the dog park (many dogs paws get very irritated because of the gravel/small rock like substances on the ground) and I thought it would go away in a couple weeks. He was loosing hair like nobody's business when we got back home, but I associated it with the stress of being at my parents and coming back home right as he got settled in. A few days ago I noticed some irritation in his facial wrinkles and knew he needed medicated wipes or antibiotics if it was a yeast problem or infection so off to the vet we went. The vet said it was skin fold dermatitis and gave us some medicated wipes, that seem to be clearing up his facial folds. Since then I've been watching his skin more than usual, and his chest and between his hind legs seem to be red, and he is itching frequently, and I actually caught him gnawing on his paw! I'm so confused, and don't know if these symptoms are food allergy related, or another symptom of the dermatitis. When we came home from the vet, I also started him on some flavored treat like supplements of omega 3 and 6, a salmon treat, and coconut oil in his food (been giving these items daily since the vet trip) so I could help the dermatitis and help prevent any future problems. I gave him a bath last night incase the skin irritations on his body were due to something we encountered on a trail walk, or at the dog park. I didn't notice anything better this morning.
I'm sorry this was so long, just wanted to get all the info out there.
To sum it all up, my question is are these skin issues related to a food allergy? A symptom of the dermatitis? A coincidence?
Thank you in advance for any advice, and to those who read this! :)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I just switched foods and am going thru the same thing...paw licking, itching and tear stains. I'm not sure if there is a period where once they get used to the food will the initial allergy signs wear off? Hope someone can answer this for me or should I put them back on what they were eating before STAT! I also read an article about more itching during the winter months because of the dry air from the heaters running and the winter weather. Also, you have to consider when they go outside they may pick up some allergens too. Use baby wipes to wipe them down after coming in from outside. Is your baby on a vitamin? This helps their immune systems which can go down during stressful situations. I'm sure you'll get some great responses soon. Hope your baby gets better soon!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Very well sounds like all issues could be food related. I'm a raw feeder so I'm not really schooled on all the kibbles. I fed nutri source grain free when she was on kibble because that's what breeder had her on. It's al all life stage food. I was super happy with it his the reason I put her on raw. I know many here swear by fromms! I'm sure they will chime in soon to elaborate.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hoping your baby gets better soon. I do not have anything to offer. I changed Otis alot and finally my vet said, no more. Stick with one and one flavor. I went from Fromm to know Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potatoe which he does very well on. I also give him salmon oil with it.

I was giving him coconut oil as well but my vet also told me to stop that, it was putting on weight and he said it's just not necessary. At this point I have stopped all treats, supplements etc - I feed him only the kibble and salmon oil and for snacks he gets broccoli.

Best of luck to you.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hoping your baby gets better soon. I do not have anything to offer. I changed Otis alot and finally my vet said, no more. Stick with one and one flavor. I went from Fromm to know Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potatoe which he does very well on. I also give him salmon oil with it.

I was giving him coconut oil as well but my vet also told me to stop that, it was putting on weight and he said it's just not necessary. At this point I have stopped all treats, supplements etc - I feed him only the kibble and salmon oil and for snacks he gets broccoli.

Best of luck to you.

Agreeing w/@LynnA...was just going to post the same advice.

With bulldogs, less seems best! If feeding a great food already maybe added supplements
is overkill. I would stop everything but the food for now, no treats, etc and see how that goes.

​Best of luck and report back your results...give him sloppy kisses for us!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If I were you I would look in to raw feeding or home cooking. That's the only way you really know what you're feeding.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] I'm not sure if it's due to the cold, he's been fine all winter and it doesn't get very cold where I live. Also, he's not outside a whole lot. I don't feed a vitamin, but I may look into that. Is there anything in particular you would recommend? [MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I would love to feed raw, but I honestly cannot afford it. I did see that Natures Variety Instinct has a formula called raw boost, it is kibbles and freeze dried raw mixed together. Have either of you heard of this? If so, what're your thoughts on it? [MENTION=4763]LynnA[/MENTION] did taking your bully off the supplements do him any good besides the weight? I only started them when I realized all of these skin issues, so I have not seen any positive or negative effects yet. The weight aspect doesn't worry me yet though because he is an EXTREMELY active puppy.

Also, a huge thank you to everybody who has given me their thoughts!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i agree with others... stop everything but the kibble. Sandy will be along soon [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], she can help with finding a food that will better fit your bully.

one thing i can add... Banks had a full blood screen allergy test done and even though the results did not have any fish on it... she does have a sensitivity to salmon and breaks out in red face and acne if she has any.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@NigelsMom I'm not sure if it's due to the cold, he's been fine all winter and it doesn't get very cold where I live. Also, he's not outside a whole lot. I don't feed a vitamin, but I may look into that. Is there anything in particular you would recommend? @Scueva and @RiiSi I would love to feed raw, but I honestly cannot afford it. I did see that Natures Variety Instinct has a formula called raw boost, it is kibbles and freeze dried raw mixed together. Have either of you heard of this? If so, what're your thoughts on it? @LynnA did taking your bully off the supplements do him any good besides the weight? I only started them when I realized all of these skin issues, so I have not seen any positive or negative effects yet. The weight aspect doesn't worry me yet though because he is an EXTREMELY active puppy.

Also, a huge thank you to everybody who has given me their thoughts!!

My cost of raw is actually lower than any premium kibble!! I'm currently spending about .80# and my girl eats 1# per day. You feed about 3% of adult body weight. Raw is healthier and cheaper. I did invest in a deep freezer and meat grinder though.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you! I am starting to feel like he is having allergy to this. However, I have given him fish before with no side effects. Maybe the amount in the food is just too much. I really want to do an allergy test on him, it would make a lot of things much, much easier. Did you do yours at the vet? Did you do food only or environmental as well?
Also, do you know of anything I can give him to help releave his allergys/symptoms until I find a food suitable?
Thank you for your advice btw.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] wow, that's interesting. I always assumed it was much higher than kibble. I calculated it an he would be eating 2.5lbs daily (I read to feed active puppies 5% of their body weight)
By .80# what do you mean?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@Scueva wow, that's interesting. I always assumed it was much higher than kibble. I calculated it an he would be eating 2.5lbs daily (I read to feed active puppies 5% of their body weight)
By .80# what do you mean?

.80cents per LB is about my cost on raw. She was on a grain free kibble when I got her @ 8 weeks. A few of my friends raw feed and told me about it and I was like no its exPensive and complicated. There was only one store in my area that carrie the type of kibble that she was on. It was an indepent feed store that carries all higher quality kibble and had a huge selection of pre package raw like "primal" and "stella and cheweys". She also mentied to me about raw and gave me a free sample. I started doing research and the sample sat for about a month in the freezer. By four months I started mixing raw with her kibble. By 6 months she was on 100% I was. Using pre-package raw natures variety and was spening $80-$100 per week. I then did more research and took the plunge to home prepared raw due to cost. By 6 months I was doing home prepared raw. It was alot simpler than I thought. Duchess is now 10 months and doing wonderfully. I currently spend about .80cents per lb. I usually by 200-300 at a time it lasts a few months I do have to drive a couple hours to do the bulk buy but it so worth it. I noticed such a change in her when I went to full raw. Drinks less water which meant less accidents while house training, also due to the body processing more of the food they only poop once a day to every other day. So many benefits!

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] I guess I didn't think of it as being so much cheaper when preparing at home. I previously added up the cost I would spend on the prepackaged stuff, like Primal, and it was going to be close to $100 a week. I just calculated it, and I would save ALOT of money on food if I did at raw preparing at home (using your $0.80 per pound,) but do you get it for that cheap because you buy in such large quantities? I wouldn't be able to buy that much at a time right now because I live in an apartment and have no room for an extra deep freeze. However, in August I will be moving to a townhouse and will have the room for it then so maybe I will have to wait until then.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've had similar problems and I would venture a guess that your bully's allergies are not food allergies - or at least, not JUST food allergies. It sounds to me like it is also environmental allergies, which are, of course, a lot more difficult to control. Have you ever tried your bully on an antihistamine, like hydroxyzine or Zyrtec? These are not always effective (usually only work in a about 10% of dogs) but it can help to ease symptoms. You can have your bully allergy tested but tests can be wildly inaccurate (as they were developed for humans) OR really expensive, as is the case with the skin test, which is more accurate. You also might discover your bully is allergic to things you can't eliminate completely - pollen, dust, etc. - so it's really a tough call. My youngest bully had a real allergy problem that led to constant scratching and licking that caused infections. We tried a variety of treatments before finally putting him on Cyclosporine - a medication which is used by transplant patients (and animals with bad allergies) that alters to immune system to NOT overreact to allergens. It's somewhat expensive but it's been a miracle for us after so much else has failed - including food changes. So that's my experience, I'm not sure if that helps but you're not alone...allergies are a real pain. Hang in there!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.