Other This is what Otis pooped out this morning - currently at vet, no blockage, blood work OK - VERY SCARY

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Before O was weaned off her stinky bear the first time...she would suck so hard she ended up detaching and swallowing more than one teddy bear arm. They would literally be in her tummy for up to a week before she would throw it up. She never pooped them out....she always threw them up. After the last scare...we took them away. Then Santa put one under the tree and we are now back to sucking. I always supervise her.....but even then, she still was able to swallow them.
Glad Otis got rid of it.....!!!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Poor Otis! Well, that helped me with a decision. No rope toys for Mabel! I see some use antlers. I never used them for my bullmastiffs because I was afraid of breakage. Are they OK for bulldogs?

Yes, as far as I know - Otis loves them. You do have to watch them, they chew them right down and eventually will be small enough to swallow.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
How is Otis doing.... still OK?

Thank you, yes - he's doing great. Today is last day of bland diet - still on his meds but otherwise A-OK!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Boy am i glad i seen this thread *phew* . Meekos been demolishing all his toys recently and has been having small bits of rope and god knows what in his poop.. After seeing this he has now been banned from having his toys all day unless me or daddy are playing with him and the toy until i can get to the pet store and get a Kong .. Iv been researching and im getting the Kong Extreme just incase lol x

Much better safe then sorry!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hello,

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I had an issue almost the same last year, but with not as good results at first...but all is ok now.

Yes...a braided rope toy that was in the yard. Didn't notice it was missing. We have lots of dogs

One of the dogs started throwing up food and water. I watched her closely and then saw a horrible site. She was trying to vomit a big mass. I ran outside and saw it was lodged and her tongue was turning blue. I grabbed the slimy disgusting object with my bare hands and had to gently pull out of her throat. It had distorted to about 14 inches long. No telling how long she had that in her stomach.

I thought all was good. Later I saw an object trying to be expelled from her bottom. This time I had gloves handy. Again had to gently pull out. The other part of the rope toy. Now I figured it had passed from both ends and all was well.

Over the next 3 days she continued to vomit up her food and even water. No more poop and very little pee. The liquid expelled look brownish and like it had coffee grounds in it.

Off to the vet for exam. The vet confirmed that the "coffee grounds" was a classic symptom of a blockage. Xrays confirmed she had a blockage in her intestine. Needed emergency surgery. They found a small piece of the rope toy along with some small stones that had blended into a mass that got lodged.

I have happy to say that she fully recovered and almost 8 months later is still doing great. Except she does not get even towels or sheets as bedding since she loves to chew apart.

The problem as the vet described is the way the throat muscles are designed that the muscles force things DOWN into the stomach and it is actually hard for them to throw up things. Yet we all know that it IS possible. The small strings of towels, sheets or other cloth material types and toys are hard for the stomach and intestine to pass.

I am glad you dog is ok now. For the rest of you....take this as an opinion, a suggestion AND Advice!
Stay away from rope, string, cloth toys. Even pay attention to every toy and make sure they are accounted for all the time. Socks, underwear, etc all lovely to chew on and swallow~

Good Day~

WOW! How scary, glad you baby is okay - thanks for sharing.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Much better safe then sorry!

Definately. Ive thrown out all of Meekos toys except one rope that we will play with together only (its in the cupboard out the way) and ive bought a large size kong extreme today for him. Its lasted longer than 10 mins so its a winner so far lol :2thumbs:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Late but glad he passed it ok. Wow! Cutty can't have ropes either. Once I started finding them in his :poo: I got rid of them. He still will eat underwear which scares me, paper towels and baby wipes, another scary thing. Tissues but they break down easily so. Don't worry so much about them. We actually had to buy trash cans with pop up lids for the bathrooms years back. They worked great until he figured out how to lift it up and get in there. Now they r all turned around as well. Dang pups! Lol

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Late but glad he passed it ok. Wow! Cutty can't have ropes either. Once I started finding them in his :poo: I got rid of them. He still will eat underwear which scares me, paper towels and baby wipes, another scary thing. Tissues but they break down easily so. Don't worry so much about them. We actually had to buy trash cans with pop up lids for the bathrooms years back. They worked great until he figured out how to lift it up and get in there. Now they r all turned around as well. Dang pups! Lol

Otis loves the trash too! He loves socks, so I keep all our dirty clothes behind closed doors. Scary stuff....

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my:nope: I could always be sure that Usko will not eat anything that he shouldn't, he hardly eats his raw food...But Voitto is a different case all together. He will eat anything and has his mouth around something at all times....I'm going to have to watch him like a hawk...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.