Other This is what Otis pooped out this morning - currently at vet, no blockage, blood work OK - VERY SCARY

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ouchie .... the thought of passing that!!! :blink:

Linus has eaten many things, but so far they have been thrown back up ..... usually a good few days afterwards!!! I would doubt that he ate it the day of the fire alarms going off. In my experience they eat it and it doesn't reappear for some time!

At least now you know you have a swallower like myself and Linus and @jakeisgreat with Jake. So my advice to you is do not trust him alone with any form of material from now on!!! :no:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my, that must of been scary:scared: Luckily he managed to pass it...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That's one scary mess to find, at first I was like what is that, thought it was a squirrel, mouse...etc Yup, Otis is on strict diet and strict toy restrictions.

Yup..it amazes me not only how they literally swallow anything..WHOLE...but how it works itself "out"!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I had an issue almost the same last year, but with not as good results at first...but all is ok now.

Yes...a braided rope toy that was in the yard. Didn't notice it was missing. We have lots of dogs

One of the dogs started throwing up food and water. I watched her closely and then saw a horrible site. She was trying to vomit a big mass. I ran outside and saw it was lodged and her tongue was turning blue. I grabbed the slimy disgusting object with my bare hands and had to gently pull out of her throat. It had distorted to about 14 inches long. No telling how long she had that in her stomach.

I thought all was good. Later I saw an object trying to be expelled from her bottom. This time I had gloves handy. Again had to gently pull out. The other part of the rope toy. Now I figured it had passed from both ends and all was well.

Over the next 3 days she continued to vomit up her food and even water. No more poop and very little pee. The liquid expelled look brownish and like it had coffee grounds in it.

Off to the vet for exam. The vet confirmed that the "coffee grounds" was a classic symptom of a blockage. Xrays confirmed she had a blockage in her intestine. Needed emergency surgery. They found a small piece of the rope toy along with some small stones that had blended into a mass that got lodged.

I have happy to say that she fully recovered and almost 8 months later is still doing great. Except she does not get even towels or sheets as bedding since she loves to chew apart.

The problem as the vet described is the way the throat muscles are designed that the muscles force things DOWN into the stomach and it is actually hard for them to throw up things. Yet we all know that it IS possible. The small strings of towels, sheets or other cloth material types and toys are hard for the stomach and intestine to pass.

I am glad you dog is ok now. For the rest of you....take this as an opinion, a suggestion AND Advice!
Stay away from rope, string, cloth toys. Even pay attention to every toy and make sure they are accounted for all the time. Socks, underwear, etc all lovely to chew on and swallow~

Good Day~

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Poor Otis! Well, that helped me with a decision. No rope toys for Mabel! I see some use antlers. I never used them for my bullmastiffs because I was afraid of breakage. Are they OK for bulldogs?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
WOW! :bigeyes: Otis was very lucky he passed that with no dire consequences. We had a pitty that swallowed a rope toy when he was about a 1+ and he had to have surgery to have it removed. Here’s an article I prepped not long ago on this very issues. Not only is my Emma in it but so is [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION]
The Dangers When Dogs Swallow Foreign Objects So glad Otis is ok. WOW

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Otis! Well, that helped me with a decision. No rope toys for Mabel! I see some use antlers. I never used them for my bullmastiffs because I was afraid of breakage. Are they OK for bulldogs?

No rope toys, rawhide or bully sticks! Also be care of the nylabone toys that have movable parts. Those are just snaped in and will break off when biten into by our strongs jawed dogs. Mine have busted two of them so far.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
WOW, so glad he passed it! That is huge!! How is he doing now?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
No rope toys, rawhide or bully sticks! Also be care of the nylabone toys that have movable parts. Those are just snaped in and will break off when biten into by our strongs jawed dogs. Mine have busted two of them so far.

I am amazed that rawhide is still available for dogs. It's undigestable and filled with unsafe chemicals. I have also heard of horrible outcomes with the "safe" smoked femur joints you see sold everywhere. These dogs have such strong jaws--are antlers safe? I would worry about pieces breaking off and posing a choking hazard.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for your support, I've never seen such a sight and never want to see it again.

How is Otis doing.... still OK?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am amazed that rawhide is still available for dogs. It's undigestable and filled with unsafe chemicals. I have also heard of horrible outcomes with the "safe" smoked femur joints you see sold everywhere. These dogs have such strong jaws--are antlers safe? I would worry about pieces breaking off and posing a choking hazard.
No kiddin' on the rawhide. But most people probably don't pay attention to the dangers and are just unaware. My guys seems to do ok with the antlers, so far none have broken. I've seen some dried out ones too (whitish in color). Some don't like to give them antlers, could wear down the teeth faster I think. I think [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] is one who's vet said NO to them. I like em.

I'm really really happy Otis came out the winner in this. :whew:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh my, I'm so sorry I missed this thread, just read it now. It's amazing what they will eat and pass back out. I've had two scares with Dozer with socks. I still don't understand how they don't choke on these things they swallow? I'm so glad that Otis okay , and he was able to pass that rope, no wonder his bum hurts, poor guy. Feel better Otis. Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Boy am i glad i seen this thread *phew* . Meekos been demolishing all his toys recently and has been having small bits of rope and god knows what in his poop.. After seeing this he has now been banned from having his toys all day unless me or daddy are playing with him and the toy until i can get to the pet store and get a Kong .. Iv been researching and im getting the Kong Extreme just incase lol x

Staff online

Members online