volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Hello All,

I have adopted a 2yr old english bully!! She is absolutely wonderful!! I have had her for approx 2mnths now and she has just started to have diarrhea over the last few days. She only has diarrhea when she I take her out to use the bathroom. She does not poop in the house. I have tried mixing rice in with her normal diet but no luck. I am feeding her Royal Canin which is the food she has always been on. I am now going to fast her for 24hrs and then start her on a complete rice diet. I have read that I should also use boiled chicken so I may try that as well. I am also going to change her water source from tap water to filtered/bottled water as well. She is not dehydrated at all.. She is very happy and healthy and there are no changes in her demeanor or personality!!! If anyone has any other suggestions to help get her stool back to normal I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
I JUST had this issue with Brock, the Royal Canin Bulldog puppy wasn't agreeing with him (neither was the Merrick he was on previously) and his poop was pure runs but he was completely fine otherwise. We took him to the vet and after they checked his water stool (came back negative) and him (perfectly fine, not dehydrated or anything at all) they gave him some antibiotics (metronidazole) after the 5 day dose he still had it and it just turned out to be the food. While he was on the antibiotics we were mixing white rice and boiled chicken and beef options with his food and it only slightly helped. You can try some canned pumpkin (Brock LOVED that addition). The vet then recommended Fortiflora which has good reviews and you can just get online but we figured since he was fine otherwise we'd try bringing him back to his original food and his poop got better in less than 24 hours after his first bowl. It may be time to try a better food than the royal.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yes, a tablespoon of plain pumpkin in one of the meals a day will go along way to firm up the stool

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Agreed..pumpkin will help. The fortiflora is a probiotic..to help with digestive enzymes. I think the bland diet for about 5 days then slowly reintroduce her kibble with the pumpkin. Make sure she is getting enough to drink..don't want her getting dehydrated..

By the way...:welcome: and thanks for giving her a forever home!

OP
V

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Thank you for all your info. I gave her some boiled chicken/rice/pumpkin last night after I fasted her for 24hrs. her stool was much better!! it was the best poop she had all week!!! The previous owner tried a variety of foods and told me Royal Canin was the only food that didn't upset her. I will be giving her the chicken/rice/pumpkin for the next 5 days and then slowly re-introduce the royal canin. If she starts to have diarrhea again then I know its the food and I will see if I can switch her to Fortiflora. I am assuming I can get this in Toronto Canada.. I also think it may be the tap water that caused the issue. The previous owner also said the she was given bottled water as the tap water in the area upset Harley's stomach. If after re-introducing the RC back in her diet does not result in diarrhea then I know it was the water!!! Thanks again for all your help!!!
Cheers
David- A Proud New Bully Parent

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I use slippery elm bark powder for stomach issues. Unlike pumpkin which just binds you up, SEBP actually helps line the stomach and get the digestive system back on track.

OP
V

volhok

Jan 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Lola
Thanks Ame, I will try and get some for her.. She has not had a BM for 2 days, I think the pumpkin binded up her digestive tract.. I am still feeding her the bland diet and I will see what happens tmr. She also just had cherry eye surgery today so I think that may have put her system off as well..

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.