Help Needed! Food allergies or just a sick bully???

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have been having a LOT of issues with Tank the past couple months. It started with massive frito smell we couldnt get rid of no matter what we tried. ended up in the vets and she said he was full of yeast and had a eye infection. So we got put on antibiotics she gave us the duo wipes and we got that all cleared up. a few days after finishing up antibiotics he was rubbing on everything back to paw licking and this time had massive zits on his cheek he was also very red. He got attacked by the evil mini poodle next door so we ended up at the vets again. this time he got a higher strength of benedryl and antibiotics AGAIN as a preventitive for infection since the bites were pretty bad she also did bloodwork to check for things that could be causing his issues (minus the attack). she suggested a different food said that he may be getting new allergies (we have had a allergy test he is allergic to grains and chicken) since the bloodwork came back fine. So we put him on wellness core ocean recipe. He was on earthborn great plains feast . Things started looking better again and then he got a respitory infection, another eye infection and massive ear infection. Today is his last pill for that and this started a week ago. He is again looking really well. On top of this thanks to the evil dog next door he is STILL limping on his back leg and is on Carprofen. It doesnt help that your pretty well have to bribe him or shove his pills down his throat in order for him to take them AFTER you get him out from underneath the bed. No matter how quiet i am getting the pills out or how i hide him he seems to be able to just sense that its med time.... now after every med time he is actually making himself puke afterwards luckily so far only water has came up and not the pills. I am at a loss and at my wits end! can he be developing more food allergies or do you think its just a bad couple months for him illness wise? Any suggestions????

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I feel for you! Yeah, you've had a terrible 2 months... did the yeast infection go away?

My only suggestion is to feed the mini poodle to your dog. Okay, okay, I was just joking...

Seriously, if the bad couple of months become a bad couple more months you might want to check out Raw Feeding and see if you can do that.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
the yeast seemed to go away just to come back. We have had yeast problems before but once it was gone we had no issues unlike this time.

as for the evil dog next door Tank is terrified of dogs right now thanks to it. The neighbors refuse to keep the little rat on a tie out or fix their fence so it cant get out :cursing:. It has went after me and my kids. I have called animal control twice. first time they claimed to not have dogs the second time the thing was caught outside and they were given a warning yet it still continues :bitching:. I would never ever hurt a animal but id love to strangle this one if i could get close enough without being attacked!!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy crap that is some sucky :poo:.... so, Banks is also allergic to chickena nd grains.. I did have her on raw for a few years but she then developed coliatis so we moved her to Fromm Beef Fritatta and she has done wonderful on it. I found that even though it was not on her allergy list she has reaction to salmon.

Also, for pills... never ever fails for me with any of my bullies and it works for my sister with her GSD and Pug.... lactose free vanilla ice cream!! They suck it right down!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would advice you to look in to raw or home cooked food and start giving him pro- and prebiotics. The "funniest" thing is that antibiotics are given to cure yeast and they also kill the good bacteria and that really causes yeast...

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Tank and Momma, you poor things. I wish I could offer some advice but I have not encountered those situations. I do know you're in the right place for some great advice. Best of luck to you and Tank.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
When pills have to be administered I always hide them in some peanut butter, yogurt, or liver sausage. She takes them down like a champ! I had a similar issue with a neighbors dog he lunge and tried to attack duchess on 3 separate occasions while both dogs were on lead. I live in a high rise so we cross paths often. The lady can't control her dog and her and I had an altercation because the last time her dog actually nipped duchess because he broke free from his owner. I always carry a small pocket knife for opening boxes and stuff. Although I would never cruelly harm a person or animal I did tell the dogs owner that if it happened again and I feel threatened or in danger I wouldn't hesitate to defend me and my dog. I hope you get a handle on your guys health issues! Some people shouldn't be pet owners!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I will be continuously calling the dog catchers over it. I'm hoping if I bug them enough they will do something. I don't get why they just can't block where the thing is getting out of the fence. It doeant take much to do.

We have looked into raw feeding. To those that do raw feeding do you find it to be more expensive?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok yes its been a bad couple of months. i would certainly look into a probiotic you can buy them at the local drug store as i use the human ones. i would also look at perhaps a dog vitamin to help the immune system i use cosevite found at petco. i would also look at getting some chloraseb flush as you can use it in the ears for yeast and bacteria. i would also look at some duoxo wipes and the duoxo ps shampoo for the yeast. you can also use apple cidar vinegar mixed with water to use in the ear and after they bathe to help kill yeast. i believe its 50/50 mixture but some use 70w/30acv mixture. some also use the acv in the dogs water to help with yeast and i do this myself. i use a couple teaspoons in with their water. if you do try these things please do so one at a time to see how your dog react as we certainly dont want to add to you bullies problems. now when these are cleared up we can talk food. maybe try a bland diet of beef and rice to see if it helps. let me know as i can help with the food part to. [MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION]

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
ok yes its been a bad couple of months. i would certainly look into a probiotic you can buy them at the local drug store as i use the human ones. i would also look at perhaps a dog vitamin to help the immune system i use cosevite found at petco. i would also look at getting some chloraseb flush as you can use it in the ears for yeast and bacteria. i would also look at some duoxo wipes and the duoxo ps shampoo for the yeast. you can also use apple cidar vinegar mixed with water to use in the ear and after they bathe to help kill yeast. i believe its 50/50 mixture but some use 70w/30acv mixture. some also use the acv in the dogs water to help with yeast and i do this myself. i use a couple teaspoons in with their water. if you do try these things please do so one at a time to see how your dog react as we certainly dont want to add to you bullies problems. now when these are cleared up we can talk food. maybe try a bland diet of beef and rice to see if it helps. let me know as i can help with the food part to. @theparrisfive

Thanks cowsmom! we get paid again the 31st and we are going to be hunting for a good food so im definately interested in what you suggest. vet was wondering if it was multiple proteins that was the issue. he has to have a higher protein food. due to weight loss on a lower protein one. I will definitely look into those probiotics. we tried the vinegar in the water and he wouldn't drink it. he seems to be looking really well again. pretty positive all infections are gone. HOPEFULLY they stay gone this time. He is still paw licking like crazy though but his paws look great. im wondering if it could be pain oriented as his back leg has been acting up a lot since his attack. the attack caused him to pull a muscle and he injured his acl as a pup and that flares up at times.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thanks cowsmom! we get paid again the 31st and we are going to be hunting for a good food so im definately interested in what you suggest. vet was wondering if it was multiple proteins that was the issue. he has to have a higher protein food. due to weight loss on a lower protein one. I will definitely look into those probiotics. we tried the vinegar in the water and he wouldn't drink it. he seems to be looking really well again. pretty positive all infections are gone. HOPEFULLY they stay gone this time. He is still paw licking like crazy though but his paws look great. im wondering if it could be pain oriented as his back leg has been acting up a lot since his attack. the attack caused him to pull a muscle and he injured his acl as a pup and that flares up at times.
well ive heard if they wont drink it put it on something like canned food or i guess some meat. you may want to look at a good joint medicine for the leg problems sarah is on one. overby farms joint flex stage 2 at petco. cant hurt. well you said the wellness ocean was doing well how long was he on it before all this happened. if it was a short period you may want to try it again and see what happens. if he was on it a while then we may need to seek out something else. thing with bullies is find a protein they tolerate and work out from there.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.