Help Needed! NuVet Plus, Yogurt, Salmon Oil.. oh my.. so many choices..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi everyone,

Was wondering what your thoughts on Nu Vet are?

I'm picking my pup up this Sunday. He's currently eating Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy formula (my breeder said she puts them on this because the kibble is smaller, so makes it easier for them to learn how to eat).
I'm going to keep him on Diamond Naturals until he gets used to his new home, before slowly starting the switch to Fromms Puppy food.

The breeder never mentioned any supplements. Is it a good idea for me to start an 8 week old pup on this?

My biggest concern right now is his food. Don't know if I should forgo any supplements for now and just give yogurt, or forgo the yogurt and give a supplement. Just don't want his digestive system to go into overload. Trying to keep it simple and healthy but not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We don't give our pups supplements, only their FROMM puppy, until they get about 5 months old or about 30 lbs. we will give them a heady-Pet Complete. (like Nu-Vet). You can also give them a spoonful of Yogurt in the morning if you wish. That's all we give them. Except some fruit or peanut butter for a snack sometimes.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] thanks. ok, so maybe i'll just stick with a little yogurt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I give pups a half a Nuvet,and Fromm puppy. Fromm puppy is good stuff so I don't think it's necessary to give a full tab daily, until they are 4 months old. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Holistic girl here. No supplements is needed unless your dog exhibits a lack of something - for example, if he has dull hair and dry skin you can increase his fish oil consumption. Whole foods is always better - like adding canned salmon to his food - Salmon oil supplements can be added if it's not enough. This goes for puppies as well as adults.

Yogurt is rich in calcium. This offsets the purpose of a Puppy food. Puppy food is designed to be lower in calcium to prevent having your dog bones grow faster than the ligaments. Yogurt is a healthy dog treat that has the added bonus of beneficial bacteria. But I only use it as nutritional supplement (as opposed to treats) if the dog needs it.

P.S. I use the same philosophy on me and my children. The kids go to a holistic vet. They don't get multi-vitamins. They start with good balanced nutrition and then get whole food supplements as needed.

Last edited:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
The day we picked up Belly, the breeder gave us some tab's of NuVet. Said to break them up and give her 1 a day. She's 2 years old now and get's 2 every day. She has some skin issues and I noticed if I forgot to give her the tablets for a few days her coat isn't as nice. It's a personal preference if you want to do supplements or not if they aren't showing any signs of needing something. They get a can of sardines (in water) once a week along with their Fromm salmon food so I don't bother with salmon oil.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] do you guys give supplements to adults? My girl is 10months and I've been debating on Nuvet for awhile, also I've been debating on a glucosamine supplement. But neither are cheap and my doctor has always told me that multivitamins for humans are generally a waste! It's a billion dollar industry! Thoughts?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@desertskybulldogs @Davidh do you guys give supplements to adults? My girl is 10months and I've been debating on Nuvet for awhile, also I've been debating on a glucosamine supplement. But neither are cheap and my doctor has always told me that multivitamins for humans are generally a waste! It's a billion dollar industry! Thoughts?

I agree with your vet. ;)

But, there are times when you need those supplements. I subscribe to the holistic approach to health and nutrition. Good, balanced, species-appropriate nutrition first. Then supplement as needed.

(Yes, there are human food that are not species-appropriate to humans. HFCS from genetically modified corn is one of them and partially hydrogenated anything is another. And what's interesting is the Children's Multi-vitamins these days are so loaded with sugar that any health benefits you get out of the supplement is offset by the health risks of sugar overloaded nutrition.)

Last edited:
OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for your opinions everyone. Think I'm gonna wing it and just give him supplements (be it yogurt, oil or a vitamin) as needed for now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] We give our adult bullies the supplements too. As far as them needing them if you feed a good quality food is always debatable. But we figured it won't hurt, and all my bullies are very healthy.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your opinions everyone. Think I'm gonna wing it and just give him supplements (be it yogurt, oil or a vitamin) as needed for now.

Yes, evaluate after a month or two to see how he is developing. And if you can, ask the breeder about the parents' health history. This will give you an idea of things that your dog may be genetically prone to which can add info to your decision-making on the supplements.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] We give our adult bullies the supplements too. As far as them needing them if you feed a good quality food is always debatable. But we figured it won't hurt, and all my bullies are very healthy.

Exactly, I prefer to make certain they get their own daily requirements, as each dog and human alike are not made the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I feel like I'm such a downer! I have very different opinions on such things... But, since this is an information site, I'll just plug on ahead and give you some information on multivitamins so you'll have more pro and con and everything in between to use for decision-making. Okay, I went ahead and googled some stuff that aligns with my philosophy so it's in a more "medically formatted" article than a ramblings of an EBN forum member...

So... these are all people-related. Just take note that medical research on people is a lot more robust than dogs.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3123/The-Truth-About-Multivitamins.html

And from Reader's Digest:
http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/5-vitamin-truths-and-lies/
(We don't do Vitamin D supplement either. Milk already comes with Vitamin D and being Filipinos, we have the skin tone to tolerate some sun. The beach is a regular part of our week).

And from webmd:
http://men.webmd.com/features/vitamins-separating-fact-from-fiction

Added this one. It's from a Naturopath Scientist so may have some bias. But, it also aligns with my holistic principles:
http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles4.html

Last edited:
OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] Thanks for the links. Also, you're not a downer and I appreciate all opinions on here.
You guys are the experts, I'm a new bully mama and this is also my first Dog. That's right, first dog :eek: :blink: so trying to get it right. :pray:

I'm going to just watch these next couple of months. First I want him to adjust, after that I'll slowly start to switch him to Fromm. I just don't want to think that I'm skimping on something. So if Nu Vet can help with skin, coat, digestion, I'd use it.

Members online

No members online now.