Help Needed! Inverted Eye Lashes AKA Entropion (questions)

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
I live in San Diego, CA. I read the laws regarding health warranties for puppies purchased from a breeder. All the vets I have spoken to claim that Entropion is a congenital or hereditary defect. My breeder claims it is not. My puppy is almost 4 months old. Have any of you had difficulties with a breeder under California Law? Is Entropion really a congenital defect? I don't want to give my baby up, but I want my breeder to help pay the expenses. Am I wrong? I picked her up on December 4, 2012. Her first visit was December 5, 2012, she had a very high Coccida, and was put on meds. She also had really dry skin and some bumps, they gave us medicated shampoo. Now this!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have many members with experience with entropion... I will tagged a couple and they should be along soon

Good luck

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My vet also says it's hereditary and when they have it they should not be bred but sometimes a pup can have it even if the parents are perfect. I don't know anything about California or a law like that. I would think that a reputable breeder would be as helpful as possible. If you think you are entitled to compensation by law then you might call an attorney.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Did you sign a health garauntee with your breeder? Most breeders state health warranties do not cover entropian as it is very common in the breed.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
As far as I know it's very common among bulldogs. I have a female I had a litter from. Months after having the puppy's she developed inverted eyelash's that were cauterized when I had her spayed. I kept 3 of her 11 puppies and one of them had to have Entropion surgery in one eye and lashes cauterized in the other. Coincidence or heredity ? And what about the other 10 puppies? fine

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
Thanks Scott,

Yes California has a law to help purchasers with issues from breeders. She is just being difficult. But I think its strange that she got it so young.

My vet also says it's hereditary and when they have it they should not be bred but sometimes a pup can have it even if the parents are perfect. I don't know anything about California or a law like that. I would think that a reputable breeder would be as helpful as possible. If you think you are entitled to compensation by law then you might call an attorney.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
That's what the breeder is claiming. But its hard for a purchaser that trusts in the breeder. I did some research but I am not 100% sure about it. I would hate to sue her, but I may have to. I don't want to give my puppy back.

§ 122100. Written notice of rights; provision to and signature of purchaser; form; contents Every breeder that sells a dog shall provide the purchaser at the time of sale, and a prospective purchaser upon request, with a written notice of rights, setting forth the rights provided for under this section. The notice shall be contained in a separate document. The written notice of rights shall be in 10- point type. A copy of the written notice of rights shall be signed by the purchaser acknowledging that he or she has reviewed the notice. The notice shall state the following:
"A STATEMENT OF CALIFORNIA LAW GOVERNING THE SALE OF DOGS
The sale of dogs is subject to consumer protection regulation. In the event that a California licensed veterinarian states in writing that your dog is unfit for purchase because it became ill due to an illness or disease that existed within 15 days following delivery to you, or within one year in the case of congenital or hereditary condition, you may choose one of the following:
(1) Return your dog and receive a refund of the purchase price, plus sales tax, and receive reimbursement for reasonable veterinarian fees up to the cost of the dog, plus sales tax.
(2) Return your dog and receive a dog of your choice of equivalent value, providing a replacement dog is available, and receive reimbursement for reasonable veterinarian fees up to the cost of the dog, plus sales tax.
(3) Keep the dog and receive reimbursement for reasonable veterinarian fees up to 150 percent of the original purchase price of the dog plus sales tax on the original purchase price of the dog.
In the event your dog dies, you may receive a refund for the purchase price of the dog, plus sales tax, or a replacement dog of your choice, of equivalent value, and reimbursement for reasonable veterinary fees for the diagnosis and treatment of the dog, if a veterinarian, licensed in this state, states in writing that the dog has died due to an illness or disease that existed within 15 days after the purchaser obtained physical possession of the dog after the sale by a dog breeder, or states that the dog has died due to a congenital or hereditary condition that was diagnosed by the veterinarian within one year after the purchaser obtained physical possession of the dog after the sale by a dog breeder. These fees may not exceed the purchase price of the dog, plus sales tax.
In order to exercise these rights, you must notify the dog breeder as quickly as possible but no later than five days after learning from your veterinarian that a problem exists. You must tell the dog breeder about the problem and give the dog breeder the name and telephone number of the veterinarian providing the diagnosis.
If you are making a claim, you must also present to the dog breeder a written veterinary statement, in a form prescribed by law, that the animal is unfit for purchase and an itemized statement of all veterinary fees related to the claim. This information must be presented to the dog breeder no later than five days after you have received the written statement from the veterinarian.
In the event that the dog breeder wishes to contest the statement or the veterinarian's bill, the dog breeder may request that you produce the dog for examination by a licensed veterinarian of the dog breeder's choice. The dog breeder shall pay the cost of this examination.
In the event of death, the deceased dog need not be returned to the dog breeder if you submit a statement issued by a licensed veterinarian stating the cause of death.
If the parties cannot resolve the claim within 10 business days following receipt of the veterinarian statement or the examination by the dog breeder's veterinarian, whichever event occurs later, you may file an action in a court of competent jurisdiction to resolve the dispute. If a party acts in bad faith, the other party may collect reasonable attorney's fees. If the dog breeder does not contest the matter, the dog breeder must make the refund or reimbursement no later than 10 business days after receiving the veterinary certification.
This statement is a summary of key provisions of the consumer remedies available. California law also provides safeguards to protect dog breeders from abuse. If you have questions, obtain a copy of the complete relevant statutes.
This notice shall be contained in a separate document. The written notice shall be in 10-point type. The notice shall be signed by the purchaser acknowledging that he or she has reviewed the notice. The dog breeder shall permit persons to review the written notice upon request.
NOTE: This disclosure of rights is a summary of California law. The actual statutes are contained in Article 1 (commencing with Section 122045) of Chapter 5 of Part 6 of Division 105 of the Health and Safety Code."

As far as I know it's very common among bulldogs. I have a female I had a litter from. Months after having the puppy's she developed inverted eyelash's that were cauterized when I had her spayed. I kept 3 of her 11 puppies and one of them had to have Entropion surgery in one eye and lashes cauterized in the other. Coincidence or heredity ? And what about the other 10 puppies? fine

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
Nope, it was a simple purchase contract. It mentioned the year for congenital defects. She didn't do a statement of health either, which she should have if there was issues.

Did you sign a health garauntee with your breeder? Most breeders state health warranties do not cover entropian as it is very common in the breed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is hereditary and it can show up at any age. Plus as [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said the sire and dam may not even have it but it could be in one of their line somewhere. I would think the breeder should help you with some of the cost.

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
Yeah, I read that in a few places. I am wondering if there is a place where I can print out the facts

It is hereditary and it can show up at any age. Plus as @Sherry said the sire and dam may not even have it but it could be in one of their line somewhere. I would think the breeder should help you with some of the cost.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
It's also difficult bcuz entropian wouldn't cause most vets to consider the dog "unfit" for purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BIGBIGSURGE

Jan 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha Fierce
So the Breeder said she will take my Sasha Fierce today and get her the proper treatment needed to correct her issues at her expense. The only issue I have is she wants her for about a month. That doesn't sit well with me. I'll miss my sassy Sasha, so I doubt a month will work! What should I do?

It is hereditary and it can show up at any age. Plus as @Sherry said the sire and dam may not even have it but it could be in one of their line somewhere. I would think the breeder should help you with some of the cost.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So the Breeder said she will take my Sasha Fierce today and get her the proper treatment needed to correct her issues at her expense. The only issue I have is she wants her for about a month. That doesn't sit well with me. I'll miss my sassy Sasha, so I doubt a month will work! What should I do?

UGH... I could not do the month either.... I would conter her by saying you will have everything addressed and ask her to split the costs with you. I'd rather my vet do the work, pay half the bill and she stay at home with me!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
UGH... I could not do the month either.... I would conter her by saying you will have everything addressed and ask her to split the costs with you. I'd rather my vet do the work, pay half the bill and she stay at home with me!

I would ask the same.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.