General Question Concerns about Cherry Eye

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
My 7 month old bully had his cherry eye exposed yesterday we we were at petsmart.. everytime we go he always gets excited and wants to be pet by everyone! He kept on pulling and tugging to the point where i picked him up and carried him.. i noticed a clear sort of bump under his eye sure enough it was a cherry eye.. I am aware of all the surgeries and treatments for cherry eye but i guess my question is.. when to seek vet help? I was able to massage his cherry eye back in with ease.. the cherry eye was clear very clear it did not look red or pink just clear and smooth.. is there a difference between the severity of the cherry eye in regards to color? Should i just keep massaging it back in when it comes out? It came out again today when we were at the park.. it seems as if it comes out when he's excited :( poor guy..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I haven't had experience personally with it, but lots of peeps here did and I believe they massage it back in until it doesn't go in anymore and gets large, then I think it's time to have it taken care of by the vet. Others will be along soon with more info.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
When my EB developed cherry eye it was red, so I'm not sure if the severity is different with it being clear. The first day he had it, I didn't know how to massage it back in I looked up some videos and info and successfully got it back in. A couple days later, it was back again. After a week or so of this it would pop out the moment I massaged it back in, I then knew it was time to go to the vet. I wanted to wait a few weeks to see if the other eye developed the problem. About a month later, with no signs of cherry eye in the other eye, I had it surgically removed.
Have you talked to your vet about the occasional cherry eye incidents your pup has been having?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here is an article to help you along... I will also tag a few members that have experience with cherry eye

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
i haven't brought it to my vets attention yet.. i was kinda hoping that i would keep massaging it back in rather then having the surgery.. I've read that theres pros and cons for the surgery is you're bully still able to produce tears? that's the main con that i've heard about removing the tear gland.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=5696]Louie89[/MENTION]
i haven't brought it to my vets attention yet.. i was kinda hoping that i would keep massaging it back in rather then having the surgery.. I've read that theres pros and cons for the surgery is you're bully still able to produce tears? that's the main con that i've heard about removing the tear gland.

Not being able to produce tears is really the only con of the removal. I was concerned about him getting dry eye but I was more worried about it popping out again if I chose the tacking method. I didn't want to put him under more than once since bullies are known to have complications while under. I weighed it out in my mind and a one time surgery with the risk of dry eye (treatable with eyedrops, sometimes for their entire life) sounded a hell of a lot better than risking having to pay for another surgery and putting him under again of the tacking failed.
My bully had had no signs of dry eye since the surgery, which was done 3 months ago.
I did a lot of research, and a lot of talking with vets before making the decision. Maybe you can keep massaging it back in, you won't have to do any surgeries! Keeping my fingers crosse for you.
Also, my vet prescribed me eye drops that can sometimes help before it gets too far. Maybe since its not red and easy to massage back in place that these would work well for you?

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Yeah I am definitely considering just taking it off for the exact reasons you said.. I would perfectly be fine massaging it back in for the rest of his life i don't see why I wouldn't be comfortable putting in eye drops for the rest of his life.. first things first i plan on taking him to the vet to check it out and I will ask for the eye drops like you said and depending on what he says i would want to post pone the surgery for a bit just to see if the other eye develops too.. thanks for the awesome advice! :)

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=5696]Louie89[/MENTION] You're very welcome! Goodluck with it all and be sure to post an update to let me know how it goes! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask I enjoy helping!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bella had cherry eye. The left eye was barely noticeable and actually only came out when she was at the vets because she was stressed!!! The other eye was very bad. It was scratching against her eye and her eye was quite green and pus filled. She probably had it her entire life and she's now 4.

As your baby is so young it could be that he will grow out of it. But also possibly not.

To be honest every cherry eye I've experienced has been red ... almost an angry red. It hasn't been how you described it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not aware of issues or severity regarding the colour of the cherry eye, I always thought it was only red, are you sure it is cherry eye? If it is you can ask your vets advice regarding the different surgeries. Has Louie been neutered yet? If he has not, you can continue trying to massage it back in and if it doesn't go back in, you can have it repaired hen he has his neuter surgery , that is what I did with my female Blossom, she developed cherry eye at 5 months and I was able to massage it on for a while, but it kept popping out, so I opted to have it repaired when I had her spayed at 7 mos old. The other one came out a week after her surgeries, and she had to have another surgery a month later. If you can wait a couple of months to see if the other one comes out, then my thought is its better, then you will know if the other one will pop out as well, it usually happens 2 to 3 months after. The only drawback of waiting, is the longer the eye gland is exposed to the air, it will cause the eye gland to dry out and swell. You can buy over the counter eye drops such as Refresh drops to keep the eye moist in the meantime.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus has 2 incidents with both eyes and one went back on its own the other I massaged back! They were never bright pink which is usually a sign surgery may be needed. Be very careful if you massage back in. Wash hands thoroughly and be sure not to press to hard. I hope all goes well

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.