General Question How to clean an inverted tail?

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
Honestly, I was scared to death to do it but the vet told me "I know the first thing you're going to say when it's over is.....why didnt I do it sooner...... and he was SO right! All the years of smelly, oozing, and butt scooting and trying every different remedy I learned about and now I have a happy, perfect smelling, healthy LIL bully who couldn't be happier. And...... they recover so quickly!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
My boy suffered a very long time with inverted tail issues. Nothing I used would ever help and he would also run every time I would try to clean it. I finally took my vets advice as the last resort and had his tail removed. it truly was the best money I've ever spent on my bully and he's a completely different little bully now.......MUCH HAPPIER!!!!!

We were also in the same situation, Inverted Corkscrew with an extremely deep tail pocket (3 inches deep) we were unable to keep it infection free, now matter how many times we cleaned it or how we cleaned it. it was with GREAT APPREHENSION that we went the surgery route (our Vet recommended it)

Gizmo is ALOT healthier and Happier now - but do not consider this as a quick fix, its SERIOUS Surgery, and should only be used as a last resort.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You can use some witch hazel on a cotton swab or makeup pad to clean her tail pocket. You may have to get someone to help you hold her.

I use what David said, witch hazel and a cotton ball. With Emma's tale pocket she has a very tight bend at the top of her tail that I have to go under. I gently but firmly press under it and clean. I always take my arm and I go under them while facing away from her toward her back end and that helps keep both of them in place. If they try to leave, I just raise them up a bit. :laugh: Works like a charm.

Here's a good article to read on cleaning tail pockets too.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use what David said, witch hazel and a cotton ball. With Emma's tale pocket she has a very tight bend at the top of her tail that I have to go under. I gently but firmly press under it and clean. I always take my arm and I go under them while facing away from her toward her back end and that helps keep both of them in place. If they try to leave, I just raise them up a bit. :laugh: Works like a charm.

Here's a good article to read on cleaning tail pockets too.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

:goodpost: i do the exact same thing with Banks!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
THanks so much for that!...I feel bad for Petunia that i have not been cleaning her tail correctly. :(

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
You need to use an antiseptic, such as witch hazel! We use a concoction our vet makes. We have a Tupperware with gauzy pads that just soak in it all day, so it's VERY easy to pull out a pad and wipe her tail pocket out. You will get used to cleaning it. I used to have the hardest time cleaning Til's pocket, but now I'm used to the motion and know when I get it perfect! You should most definitely take him to a vet first, and make sure it's not already infected... like others said, it may be beneficial just to remove the tail.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
ROFL! Mabel must be an oddity! She LOVES having her tail pocket cleaned and backs into me to have it done! I have to admit it was a little odd to clean around the tail at first, having never had a bulldog before, but she makes it easy because she likes it so much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online