General Question How to clean an inverted tail?

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
My Bully, Petunia Belle, has an inverted tail (not sure if that is the actual way to say it). A lot of dirt gets trapped in there making it smelly and itchy and then she is trying to scratch it and she looks so sad. However, when I try to clean it, she runs off and thus her tail never gets cleaned properly or enough.

Does anyone know of a way to clean this? I thought that the cloth I was using was too cold so I used warm water but she just doesn't like it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can use some witch hazel on a cotton swab or makeup pad to clean her tail pocket. You may have to get someone to help you hold her.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
You can use some witch hazel on a cotton swab or makeup pad to clean her tail pocket. You may have to get someone to help you hold her.

Yup, I will definitely have to get someone to hold her...otherwise she will squirm and run off...LOL!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Yup, I will definitely have to get someone to hold her...otherwise she will squirm and run off...LOL!

Have your vet ever checked on her pocket to make sure it's not already infected? I read on this forum that sometimes when it smells it could be an infection.

I usually clean Izzy's once a week with a gauze and special solution that I got at my vet's. She is not a big fan, she will give me little bites until I stop but she knows by now that she can't run from me :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes and never use pure water, it allows yeast growth (a warm wet cave is the perfect place to grow yeast!), always use something that has a drying agent in it.

Baby wipes work well because they are soft and not too thick. If its really bad do it until the wipe is mostly clear. I use Unscented wipes and squirt malacetic otic solution on it, or if I am out I use witch hazel. Many here also follow up with gold bond medicated powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
WOw! All great replies! I had not thought that using pure water would create more yeast. I have been using baby wipes but did not think about following up with Goldbond powder.

I have had her tail pocket checked and its not infected...just needs to be cleaned more regularly. I would imagine that Petunia would probably nip at me, her way of letting me know that she doesn't like it. However, I will have to be firm with her and just get it done!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson's inverted tail was discovered over six years ago and I have always cleaned it the same way and we have never had any issues with it (knock on wood LOL). I clean it first with the unscented, hypoallergenic baby wipes followed by mal-a-ket wipes (douxo wipes work too). Samson isn't terribly found of it either so while standing up I hold him using my legs, one of each side of his waist so he's like wedged in that spot.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I buy the Baby wipes in the plastic dispenser & I pour a bottle of Witch Hazel in there.
So when I pull out a sheet, its already absorbed with the Witch hazel.

I wipe Jack's butt and mostly underneath his tail regulary. Every time he come's back in from the back yard the first thing I do is wipe him down... ....
Jack see's the baby wipes and he starts to walk the other way but knows it has to happen so after I call him a couple of times, he walks towards me withhis head slung low.... "dead man walking" ...
I grab his tail with one hand and try to pull it up as much as possible while he pushes down on it..
I wipe wipe wipe until I see the wipey is coming out as clean as possible..

Yup, I go thru alot of Baby wipes each week....

Last edited:
OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson's inverted tail was discovered over six years ago and I have always cleaned it the same way and we have never had any issues with it (knock on wood LOL). I clean it first with the unscented, hypoallergenic baby wipes followed by mal-a-ket wipes (douxo wipes work too). Samson isn't terribly found of it either so while standing up I hold him using my legs, one of each side of his waist so he's like wedged in that spot.

Ok so I will have to get her in a locked position...she is fast when she wants to be though. LOL! And I LOVE the name Samson...that was my first bully---I miss him everyday.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I buy the Baby wipes in the plastic dispenser & I pour a bottle of Witch Hazel in there.
So when I pull out a sheet, its already absorbed with the Witch hazel.

I wipe Jack's butt and mostly underneath his tail regulary. Every time he come's back in from the back yard the first thing I do is wipe him down... .... Yup, I go thru alot of Baby wipes each week....

Wow this is a great idea! I think I will do that and have her own 'Diva wipes'.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I clean his tail pocket with unscented, hypoallergenic baby wipes. i also use baby wipes to clean his hiney after he poops. if his tail pocket is red, I use douxo wipes once a day. It usually takes about 3 days to clear up.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
My boy suffered a very long time with inverted tail issues. Nothing I used would ever help and he would also run every time I would try to clean it. I finally took my vets advice as the last resort and had his tail removed. it truly was the best money I've ever spent on my bully and he's a completely different little bully now.......MUCH HAPPIER!!!!!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Santinomom, how old was he when you had his tail removed?

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm... I will have to consider this...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.