General Question bully likes rocks. . . .

theswopes

Jan 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyle
He's had an affinity for rocks since I got him and I've done my best to try to rid him of it. Today, I believe he passed one. I'm assuming he's got more in there if that's the case. He hasn't shown any signs of discomfort or lack of eating. He still goes potty regularly. Should I take him in for an xray? Does anyone else have experience with this?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My bully does this too! I have to watch him like a hawk! If there is no signs that there is an obstruction it should be okay. Pookie throws up one every once in a while tho, I would continue to monitor him and make sure the best you can not to let him do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin likes to chew on them he's never swallowed one. Well at least I don't think so. I watch him like a hawk he likes to eat cat :poo: it's so gross I hate it

OP
T

theswopes

Jan 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyle
kyle eats cat poo as well. he only does it when we go to visit grandma, so its not a frequent problem. still very gross when it does happen. I think they do that bc cats dont fully digest their food?? idk. still, i feel for you...

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Brutus LOVES rocks too! As well as sticks. When he had his diaphram surgery they found one in him :( Luckily he has always passed whatever he has eated, and we watch his like crazy! Last night in fact, he came in with a stick. He knows better, but I think he just likes to test his limits. Good luck, I'm hoping it's just a puppy thing.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis loves rocks too! I think I have finally curbed him from it but maybe it's the fact that they are frozen in the ground and snow covered right now...lol

I watch him carefully, it's all we can do.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is on a rock kick since we moved to our new home.... gotta keep a watch on her at all times when he is in the yard. We spent a good deal of $$ to have the yard fenced so she could be out and about and know we can't because whe wants to eat rocks and dirt. :angry:

As for the cat :poo: dogs can not resist for just the reason you stated... it is a delicasy for them :barf:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was told by my vet it's a Bully thing, they are known for it. They either do it or they don't, my female Blossom doesn't do it, but she will eat cat litter if she can. We had to move it to the upstairs master Bathroom, where she can't get it. My Male Dozer , well he's another issue, he thinks he's a billy goat, and will literally eat anything and everything if given a chance. outside he eats sticks, rocks, paper, garbage, pinecones, old gum, whatever he can find, inside he goes for socks, socks, and more socks, blankets, small toys, especially cars, paper towel, the other day I saaw him chewing on something and it was one of my Grandsons' Dominoes he had left somewhere. I have to keep everything off the floors at home, and outside he is usually on leash, unless we are at the park, and then I wave to watch him like a hawk, and constantly fish things out of his mouth. He's relentless.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Yes....while all 8 of my bullies love to eat rocks, only one of them has had an issue.
Lakota loves to eat small rocks and small pieces of dirt clods. As well as the towels in her crate used for bedding. She once swallowed a cloth chew toy. 8 inches long and braided strands. I didnt notice the toy missing from the yard.....several days later she started to throw up her food and any liquid. Ended up taking her to the vet for x-rays. blocked intestine.

And what they found was a piece of the clot strand that had passed the stomach, mixed with small rocks and strands of a towel that formed a ball and got lodged.
(oh, the big cloth toy was up-chucked. I saw her gagging in the yard and ran over and had to pull it out of her mouth....dis-gus-ting!)

All is well. She recovered after emergency surgery. And now no bedding in her crate....she still shreds the towels.

watch you bulldog very close all the time.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.