Help Needed! after spay hunger

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Penny just got spayed & the vet said that she was in more pain than most dogs:*( She has also been super hungry. I know she's whining because she's in pain, but I also know how she is when she wants to eat... the only thing that makes her stop whining is food. I've already given her more than her normal amount, the vet said to get her half of what she normally eats though! i've tried comforting her, she doesn't want it she wants food. She won't even go into her crate even though I know she's tired which normally isn't an issue.. help?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
She sounds like me when I need comforting, just a big tub of ice creams makes me stop whining! :)
izzy just got spayed today too and she was a lil uncomfortable and crying so I gave her the pain med. did ur vet gave you some?

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
No they said if she seems like she's in serious pain to get some tomorrow... she won't stop crying, she won't go to sleep, she won't even lay down even though i see that her legs want to give out she just won't give in... I have a feeling it's going to be a long night. I don't know what to do, my poor baby is hurting:*(

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
When I had Blossom spayed 3 months ago as well as cherry eye repair surgery at the same time , they sent her home just on the post surgical medication, and 5 syringes of the medication, the vet said the pain meds were good for 24 hours , and that she was to get the next dose the next day. She was pretty sleepy when we came home, and she whined a little, she wasn't very hungry, but we were told she could have 1/2 of her usual amount of food. She whined off and on, so I let her sleep beside me on the couch, and she seemed more comfortable when she was beside me, so I let her sleep there for most of the night, and then I placed her back in her crate. The next day she seemed like she hadn't even had surgery, she was jumping and running , ate normal, it was really hard to keep her quiet. She was sent home with 5 syringes of pain mediation, to be given once every 24 hours, but we ended up only having to give her 4 days worth. She healed really quickly, with no complications, and no infections, and had the stitches out a week after her surgery.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When HRH had her hernia repair (same area as spay, cesarian) her vet sent her home with 5 days worth of pain medicine. I'm really surprised your vet didn't give something for the first day or so at least.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hoping your furbaby is better today, if not I hope your on your way to get her some pain meds. Please let us know how shes doing today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Penny today? Did either of you sleep last night?

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Penny is doing amazing and acting like her normal self. Last night I put the mattress and pillows on the ground and she slept for a few hours, she then woke up and started pulling out her toys in the middle of the night. She made sure to bring her squeaky toy up to my ear:tongue: while i was trying to sleep. I'm so happy she is feeling better, I think she just needed some rest!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So glad your bubby is feeling better! Nothing worse than your baby crying and feeling helpless! ♥

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.