porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
First this is porky from above ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358808708.409613.jpg
She is almost a year old and weighs 57 lbs. Our vet did tell us that she is a larger build than most almost has a males build so she's always going to weigh a little more than average. But I want some fellow bully opinions do u think she's to overweight??? I know she's a chunker but I don't want an unhealthy baby. She gained 10 or 15 lbs when our houseguest arrived n I got that off already but I'm wondering if Vegas stew is in order!!!!!!!!

And secondly anyone ever heard of beefeaters?????
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358808877.499782.jpg
This is a beefeaters carrot, sweet potato, peanut chew it has 5 ingredients the three earlier n then 2 preservatives. I haven't found anything saying they r bad or had been recalled they also make sweet potato chips etc!!!! Porky loves them but I'm hesitant giving them to her for fear of the unknown!!!!!! Any n all opinions will be helpful!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't know anything about the treat you mentioned, but about your bully's weight she seems from the picture taking from above to be pretty solid so from that pic alone I would think her weight is ok

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She does look a little chunky, they should have a little waist to them. The treat you are referring to, I have never heard of them. They may be OK, but maybe someone else will weigh in one them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No idea on the treat but if you wanna cut her weight I would avoid all extra snacks outside of veggies. I do think she could stand to lose some, they say you should see the waistline and feel the ribs but not see them. Cutty was a bit chubby a while back and I just cut back his food a little and supplemented with extra veggies. He is perfect now and actually every vet he sees says they are impressed with how fit he is since most bullies are outta shape. It will certainly make her happy in the end and give a better life. Especially with the knees and hips, weight should really be watched more carefully IMO.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I agree she needs a waist! Here is a picture of my Lola and you can see her waist
GEDC1544.jpg
And here she is from the side
GEDC1546.jpg

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
:) thank u guys she was almost 75 lbs until my fiancées grandpa went to a nursing home (he fed her behind my back alllllll the time) then I cut everything back n she lost 15 lbs but she did seem a bit chunky to me still!!!!! I want a svelte bully lol!!!!! I read somewhere in one of the posts about dog foods that Fromm has a higher calorie content than like blue buffalo is that true??? I planned on putting her on Fromm beef frittata but I don't wanna give her a higher calorie food

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree.... she needs a defined waist, which is a healthy look for a bully. i would cut out treats as others have said and give fresh/frozen veggies... I used green beans to get Banks down 10 lbs. she did not get any treats... 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 green beans for her meals

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I would personally stay away from that treat, or any like that really. None of it is really any good for dogs in general, let alone bullies. If you Google "Where are Beefeaters made" you'll see quite a few topics on recall that the name pops up under. Make sure they're not made in China. For treats my guys normally just get a piece of their kibble or a healthy snack. They also have their nylabones and antlers to chew on.

Now about Porky's lack of waistline. She is a tad on the 'porky' side and could drop a bit of weight. It's amazing just what a pound or two will do. She's thick in the front chest like Wilson is (I bet she was quite top heavy when she was young too).

Wilson weighs 59.1 and in these pictures (taken this weekend) you can see he has a waist. He's actually a broader than the picture portrays though. Porky should have a waistline too. ;)

6525EF02-2D0B-40F7-8932-34E2903182F8-4598-000003D049ECC071.jpg

692CD5D5-5FCA-426E-A44A-FB5290F16E92-4598-000003D0382EE3A9.jpg

I'm going to move this to the health section now. :up:

M

mabel lou

I bet she will look great and I bet she looks great right now even if she is a chunky monkey, I was always told they should have a coke bottle figure lol

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I would personally stay away from that treat, or any like that really. None of it is really any good for dogs in general, let alone bullies. If you Google "Where are Beefeaters made" you'll see quite a few topics on recall that the name pops up under. Make sure they're not made in China. For treats my guys normally just get a piece of their kibble or a healthy snack. They also have their nylabones and antlers to chew on.

Now about Porky's lack of waistline. She is a tad on the 'porky' side and could drop a bit of weight. It's amazing just what a pound or two will do. She's thick in the front chest like Wilson is (I bet she was quite top heavy when she was young too).

Wilson weighs 59.1 and in these pictures (taken this weekend) you can see he has a waist. He's actually a broader than the picture portrays though. Porky should have a waistline too. ;)

6525EF02-2D0B-40F7-8932-34E2903182F8-4598-000003D049ECC071.jpg

692CD5D5-5FCA-426E-A44A-FB5290F16E92-4598-000003D0382EE3A9.jpg

I'm going to move this to the health section now. :up:

Lol thank you I wasn't sure where it should go :) yeah our friend bought those and I wasn't sure I gave her one when they were here to be polite but I still have 7 of them lol I don't want to give them to her.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
We just weighed her and she's lost almost 9 oz in a little over 2 days so her weight is still dropping :) she's veryyyyyyyy active I mean we have to lock her up sometimes just to get her to stop playing and rest I tried green beans tonight and now my spot bot is getting a nice workout lol porky n green beans don't mesh well!!!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol thank you I wasn't sure where it should go :) yeah our friend bought those and I wasn't sure I gave her one when they were here to be polite but I still have 7 of them lol I don't want to give them to her.

Oh that's ok, sometimes I have to move my own....:ROFL:

I had a hard time at first too saying no, never had before with my other dogs why start now. I don't have any problem now if I don't know about the treat they're offering. Just pitch them if you don't have the info, that's my advice. ;)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I read somewhere in one of the posts about dog foods that Fromm has a higher calorie content than like blue buffalo is that true??? I planned on putting her on Fromm beef frittata but I don't wanna give her a higher calorie food
Probably is true. Seems that each food has a different calorie and protein %. Measure the food out and that way you can adjust. Wilson usually gains a little bit when I switch foods and then I just reduce him back a bit.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
:) thank u guys she was almost 75 lbs until my fiancées grandpa went to a nursing home (he fed her behind my back alllllll the time) then I cut everything back n she lost 15 lbs but she did seem a bit chunky to me still!!!!! I want a svelte bully lol!!!!! I read somewhere in one of the posts about dog foods that Fromm has a higher calorie content than like blue buffalo is that true??? I planned on putting her on Fromm beef frittata but I don't wanna give her a higher calorie food

No, this is not true. It depends on the formula. Some Fromm formula has a higher calorie content, some Blue Buffalo formula has a higher calorie content. For example, Fromm Beef Frittata formula has 408 kcal/cup whereas Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon formula has 415 kcal/cup.

But, when you're trying to find the proper food for your dog, you pay attention to the carbs content (which is not listed anywhere on the bag). Carbs % = 100% - Protein% - Fat% - Moisture% - Ash% (you can guesstimate 8% for this). You don't want any dog food with carbs content higher than 45%. Ones in the 30's is what I look for. So, looking at the equation above, the higher the protein content, the more likely you'll have lower carbs. But, you don't want high plant protein either. You want high animal protein. So, you can look at the ingredients and make sure that the first ingredient is not a high protein plant like corn. It's even better if the first few ingredients are animal stuff before the plant shows up (dog food ingredients listing in the US is listed according to the amount present in the food in descending order). So then, after you pick the low carb food, then you look at the calorie content. If the formula has a high calorie content, then you give your dog a smaller serving to maintain proper weight.

As far as treats - you can try to see if she'll go for ice cubes. Both my bullies go ape over ice cubes. They chew on it like a bone. Zero calories, lots of hydration, lots of fun.

Okay, with those general guidelines, Fromm and Blue Buffalo are both excellent dog food - high animal protein, low carbs. Especially the grain-free formula. Both dog food list the calorie content on the bag right under the Feeding Guidelines. So, you can follow the feeding guideline towards the lower end of the range and adjust the amounts according to how your dog reacts to the food. If she's losing too much weight too fast, you want to increase the servings a bit. If she's not losing weight, or if she's gaining weight, you want to decrease the servings.

And with that - the picture you showed from the top view does seem like she needs to lose some weight. A defined waist is ideal. You also want to look at the dog from the side to see if her stomach is tucked in (not hanging down). And then you want to feel her ribs to see that it is not covered by a thick fat layer. English bulldogs have thick skin, sometimes with a lot of wrinkles by the ribs area so it can get a bit tricky to feel if the layer you're feeling is just extra skin or fat rolled in the skin folds. You can try to stretch the skin flat if she's too wrinkly and see if you can feel it better that way.

That said, my female bullie is 60 lbs. She has a good waist shape, good ribs feel, and tummy tucked in. She is active when she's in the play mode, which, I must admit is only a few minutes before she wants to snooze again but, she's going on 5 years old. But she's always alert, not lethargic. She's just one of those bigger bullies - no, she's not AKC, she's CKC which is not as stringent with the bullie qualifications. Both her parents were big dogs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online