General Question wearing a cone

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
I just dropped Penny off to get spayed and I am wondering if you all had your dog wear a cone after the procedure? I told the vet assistant she can't really reach her head down there & she said it was up to me whether I want her to wear it or not. So when your bully got spayed/neutered did they wear a cone?

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny did but that was for his eyes that we gone done at the same time. We wouldn't have if he had just been neutered.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
We didn't use a cone until about the fourth day after the procedure. Guinevere definitely couldn't reach the area. We mainly tried it because she was wild and crazy, she didn't want to obey her Dr's orders and be calm and rested. We were hoping it would calm her a bit, but it had the opposite effect and she was maddddd. She was like a bucking bull! Needless to say, we didn't keep it on her!

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
When Ruckus was done the vet had the cone set out for him. We said he couldn't reach so we wouldn't need it. The vet said if he gets too wound up to use it, that it would help keep him calm. My brother said his dog just laid down with one on. Guess what? It turned Ruckus into a wild man. When he crashed into the doorway we took it off and never used it again lol.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
No porky couldn't reach her girly parts she had her eyes done too n come to think of it they didn't offer one for her but her eyes never bothered her so it didn't matter. I hope she does well with her spaying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
[MENTION=5239]allyxo[/MENTION] Thanks for this thread! Our Dozer is at the vet this moment getting neutered and I had the same question.

[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] "puffy" LOL! Love it :)

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Miss Muffin was spayed about a month and a half ago. She came home with a cone, but I took it off because 1. she obviously couldn't reach her incision and 2. she was miserable with it on. She had no complications from not wearing it.

Wishing Penny a speedy recovery!

OP
allyxo

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Thanks everyone! looks like no cone it is. Penny will be very happy about that :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone! looks like no cone it is. Penny will be very happy about that :)

Neither of my bullies ever wore a cone .... like you said, they can't reach :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I had my female Blosssom spayed 3 months ago, and my vet didn't offer or suggest that she wear a cone. We didn't have any problems or issues, she never once even touched, scratched or tried to lick her stitches, and she healed very quickly and well. I would try to bring her home without the cone on, and see how she does, and if you see that see isn't leaving the surgical site alone, you can always put a cone on her. I think she would be more comfortable without it, and will sleep much more comfortable. I also had her brother neutered a week later, and same thing , no cone, and no issues. Wishing Penny a speedy recovery.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Haha @PenelopeRosebud, I'm not allowed to use the "fat" word... this is the face they give me if I do... They say they're bulldogs, they're built that way:D

PuffyJo.jpg

Sorry for getting off the topic here:ashamed:

Last edited:

Bullies Momma Poppa

Feb 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Danae Baby and Spike
When our Spike got neutered he turned in to a wild man. He ripped his stitches open 4x. We tried 4 kinds of cones to keep him from licking his stitches open. 4x he managed to do so. He even ran head first in to the grass/wall and cracked 3 cones. Tried the blow up kinds no luck. Tried t-shirts, and taping shirt closed and him with a tensor band and a maxi pad and everything. Nightmare. Constant supervision, 4 trips to the vet to be restitched and 30 days later he was finally healed. We ended up finding out the original owners had vasectomied him, they wanted to show him and then surrendered him back to the breeder after divorce.

He had and issue with anaesthetic, antibiotics, etc... he still has issues peeing. (no steady stream just squirts) Poor guy. I hope your experience /vet is better. Needless to say we are in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and are searching for a new bully friendly vet. I will mention he is very high maintenance, he was a rescue and needs lots of love and attention. Vet needs to be well versed in feeding raw. Recommendations welcome....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah just got spayed last year but she did not wear a cone and she did not even try to do anything. she did however jump on the couch the next day after when she wasnt supposed to . grrr.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.