General Question What's This

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
First off I started this yesterday and then didn't get to finish. I guess it was meant to be because I found something else :(

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed Brutus has had more tears, eye boogers, and red eyes. You can't see if there are tear stains because his face is brown, but it's damp in his nose wrinkle. I clean them everyday with baby wipes (non-allergenic) We have been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness - Salmon for 2 30 pound bags now, and Blue Buffallo Basics Puppy before that. We have cut out all treats to minimize what it could be and still can't figure it out. Are eye boogers/red eyes a sign of cherry eye?

Onto what I saw tonight............ ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358729439.084451.jpg

It's not wet, just missing hair on his neck/ back area. Could this be related. Any help would be much appreciated

Did I mention I'm leaving Brutus for the first time EVER on Friday returning (B staying home with Daddy) Sunday night only to turn around on Thursday to leave again with my bf for six days (B is staying at my moms) NERVOUS WRECK & already SAD to leave him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Not sure about the sore but it looks like it could be a staph infection! Is it scabby??? They are all signs of food allergies a cherry eye protrudes n is very noticeable. has he been biting/licking his paws a lot??? I read a lot of ppl saying their bullies r allergic to salmon, but it could be a grain allergy too!!! Does anywhere around u sell Fromm??? They have a food beef frittata it's chicken n grain free n a lot of bully mammas n papas swear by it!! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is the EBN food guru as I've learned so if u need help picking a new food she is always willing to help :)

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BB Wilderness is grain free and a six star. It's not scabby, just skin and no hair......as soon as I saw it I told my bf that it could be staph, mange, or a hot spot. He wonders if its from playing with our two JRTs. He says I worry way to much about him. I just prefer to get ahead of a problem if we think there is one 😉 I hope he's not allergic to salmon, we give him salmon oil too. And have since we got him. His tears have just gotten so much worse, with eye boogers even with out a nap :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well its not cherry eye as that will protrude and you can see it. what you are describing are allergy symptoms but to what is the question. the problem with wilderness is no matter what one you feed they all have chicken in them. its hard to know if its the salmon or something else or even something outside. a hot spot will be red and very very wet and staph i think usually has a scab. it will be hard to know what the hair loss is without going to the vet and getting it scraped. the hair loss also could be from a food allergy to. have you thought of maybe having an allergy test. it will help you narrow down what it is. if not then you can always try a bland diet for a few days and see if he gets better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have to say ... it does look and sound like staph and yes, it could all be a result of him being to show signs of allergy. tears, boogers, red eyes and the scabs with hair loss.... if you have not thought or done so, ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test. it will give you a good list of what to avoid.

my girl is highly allergic to chicken, but also sensitive to salmon. It can take up many weeks before you see a reaction not always immediate cause it depends on the level of sensitivity they have to the item. Because Banks has a HIGH sensitivity to chicken, I see immediate red face and bumps on her face and around her eyes... Nitschke had a low sensitivity too it so I would see no reaction unless it was over a few days. Point is, if he is allergic to salmon with a low sensitivity -- you may just now be seeing the reaction.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
All the symptoms you describe are food related.

The hair loss area is hard to define in the picture, but since you say it's dry, it could be a form of dermatitis , a vet visit and food change in my opinion is in order. It's a shame you will be leaving him at a time when he needs to looked after closely, may I ask who will he be staying with? someone he knows or a kennel?

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
That's exactly what I want is an allergy test! I was just explaining it to Jay last night after we found it. Looks like we will try Fromms Beef next, we are bottom of the barrel now and see if it helps. Thank you [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. Do you think the salmon oil could be effecting him? We changed types, but same brand 3 weeks ago. He only gets ice and frozen green beans as treats. All other treats he eats whole and that can't be easy on the bootie (we have seen the results lol)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Possibly staph but I am leaning toward mange, since it is just skin and no scab :(

Mange is due to a low immune system, if there has been a lot of allergy problems and maybe some added stress (believe me- they KNOW when you are sad or stressing, and he probably knows you are leaving him soon). All of this can deplete the immune system.

BB Wilderness is a great food but it may not be the right food. A good supplement like NuVet or Hardypet would be a good idea to make sure he is getting all his vits and not being depleted.

Baby wipes are not good UNLESS you are drying completely afterward. If you are not, the moisture from the wipe can do more damage than good, giving more moisture for yeast to grow. Even if you do dry completely, the wipes have nothing in them to medicate,cure and kill any bacteria. You can make your own malecetic wipes by getting unscented baby wipes and squirting a bunch of Malecetic Otic in the tub.

I hope it is not mange, but I would get a scraping done to be sure. The sooner you get diagnosed the better, no matter if it's mange or staph. Keep us posted, hope this helps xx

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Have to say ... it does look and sound like staph and yes, it could all be a result of him being to show signs of allergy. tears, boogers, red eyes and the scabs with hair loss.... if you have not thought or done so, ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test. it will give you a good list of what to avoid.

my girl is highly allergic to chicken, but also sensitive to salmon. It can take up many weeks before you see a reaction not always immediate cause it depends on the level of sensitivity they have to the item. Because Banks has a HIGH sensitivity to chicken, I see immediate red face and bumps on her face and around her eyes... Nitschke had a low sensitivity too it so I would see no reaction unless it was over a few days. Point is, if he is allergic to salmon with a low sensitivity -- you may just now be seeing the reaction.

Should I ask for a skin scrape or blood test? We have full insurance on Brutus so we would always be prepared when something like this comes up, just not sure which would be best?

All the symptoms you describe are food related.

The hair loss area is hard to define in the picture, but since you say it's dry, it could be a form of dermatitis , a vet visit and food change in my opinion is in order. It's a shame you will be leaving him at a time when he needs to looked after closely, may I ask who will he be staying with? someone he knows or a kennel?

I SOOOOO wish I wasn't leaving him, I told Jay I wish we could bring him with me :( Unfortunately it's just not possible. My business trip I'm in meetings for 12 hours a day, so it just wouldn't be fair. He will be staying at my Mom's where he loves to go....but no one treasures him like I do IMO (you know?)

Possibly staph but I am leaning toward mange, since it is just skin and no scab :(

Mange is due to a low immune system, if there has been a lot of allergy problems and maybe some added stress (believe me- they KNOW when you are sad or stressing, and he probably knows you are leaving him soon). All of this can deplete the immune system.

BB Wilderness is a great food but it may not be the right food. A good supplement like NuVet or Hardypet would be a good idea to make sure he is getting all his vits and not being depleted.

Baby wipes are not good UNLESS you are drying completely afterward. If you are not, the moisture from the wipe can do more damage than good, giving more moisture for yeast to grow. Even if you do dry completely, the wipes have nothing in them to medicate,cure and kill any bacteria. You can make your own malecetic wipes by getting unscented baby wipes and squirting a bunch of Malecetic Otic in the tub.

I hope it is not mange, but I would get a scraping done to be sure. The sooner you get diagnosed the better, no matter if it's mange or staph. Keep us posted, hope this helps xx

How do you know the difference between mange and staph? I was feeding him yogurt (not lately) and he LOVED it! However my middle furkid HATES it. So we stopped. Do you think I should add it back? I've heard about Duxo pads, do you know where I can get those? He already gets ACV in his water, which we just started a couple weeks ago

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Should I ask for a skin scrape or blood test? We have full insurance on Brutus so we would always be prepared when something like this comes up, just not sure which would be best?

How do you know the difference between mange and staph? I was feeding him yogurt (not lately) and he LOVED it! However my middle furkid HATES it. So we stopped. Do you think I should add it back? I've heard about Duxo pads, do you know where I can get those? He already gets ACV in his water, which we just started a couple weeks ago

From the picture, I am leaning toward staph, but I did not catch you stating it was 'not scabby/crusty' so Lisa brings up a good point in it could be mange. if it were me, I would be doing both... allergy test just so I know what to avoid food wise and treat environmentally... skin scrape to rule out mange.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
From the picture, I am leaning toward staph, but I did not catch you stating it was 'not scabby/crusty' so Lisa brings up a good point in it could be mange. if it were me, I would be doing both... allergy test just so I know what to avoid food wise and treat environmentally... skin scrape to rule out mange.

It looks like a vet visit is in order this week before I start my out of town ventures. DO I HAVE TO LEAVE HIM :( :( Why can't business trips be furbaby friendly! I mean really......I only go on business trips 2 weeks out of the year, talk about bad timing

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky

I SOOOOO wish I wasn't leaving him, I told Jay I wish we could bring him with me :( Unfortunately it's just not possible. My business trip I'm in meetings for 12 hours a day, so it just wouldn't be fair. He will be staying at my Mom's where he loves to go....but no one treasures him like I do IMO (you know?)

ACV IMO is a miracle :D my baby has an allergy to grain n a sensitivity to chicken she has had nasty yeasty nose rope for about a month bcuz of the sensitivity n nothing I tried worked (she is still eating bb grain free chicken until that bag is gone :(...) until acv for the last 4 nights I've wiped her nose rope out with it n no more yeast :D!!!! Witch hazel works well for cleaning nose ropes too n it's alcohol content is so that it evaporates but doesn't burn (I use it too lol) I feel ur pain about leaving him I don't like going grocery shopping bcuz she can't go with me anymore (I snuck her into Walmart as a pup lol)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice above, I am not familiar with hot spots, mange, or yeast as I haven't experienced that with my two yet. The best thingvtomdo if your not sure what it is , is to ask your vet, and have a skin scraping done to get a accurate diagnosis. I am familiar with allergies though , my female Blossom has allergies to chicken, and so we switched their food to Fromms Beef Fritata when they were 7 months old, and both are doing great on this food. I started putting salmon oil in their food, about the same time, and Blossom immediately showed signs of allergies again, so I stopped it for 2 weeks, and she was fine again. I gave her a Benedryl and the symptoms improved. I now give her cod liver oil instead of salmon oil and she tolerates it fine. You can also try coconut oil for the Omegas.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online