Other It was a hard decision but I hope I chose the right path... Getting her spayed tomorrow at Snap

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Like many of us I don't spare expenses when it comes to my baby. So last month I called her vet to get a quote on getting her spayed since I knew the time was coming. Her vet quoted me $550,00... I could not believe. In a country that talks so much about animal control and fixing your pets they sure don't feel bad about charging us an arm and a leg for this procedure.

So couple of days after I got her quote I was at the dog park talking to a lady that owns a French bulldog and she had her baby fixed at Snap Houston which is a facility that provides neutering services at a low cost. I researched online and all their reviews seem to be very positive, the vets went to the same school as my vet. So after debating on this I decided to make an appointment for Izzy and she is getting fixed tomorrow. I'm really hoping I'm making the right decision... If it was any other major surgery I wouldn't hesitate to take her to her vet but I just don't agree with charging that much for this procedure.

has anybody on this site taken their bully to get fixed at Snap or similar place?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I got extremely high quotes to get Remi neutered (they couldn't find one of his testciles, so it became a bigger issue) and was quotted $425-$715!!! Mind blowing right??

I think bulldogs are higher risk going under and I have to admit, I do think people look at us and think we're loaded. Maybe I'm just being a jerk tho.

Unfortunately, no experience with the low discount places. I did consider it, but they all stated that they wouldn't accept breeds like bulldogs due to the risks of the brachycephalic breeds (Short face!)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think it is crazy to that fixing a dog cost that much! Did you talk to them about what meds they use to put her to sleep? Thats where the problems are because of breathing issues. I say if you think its safe go for it because sometimes it does come down to what you can afford and are whiling to pay. If you feel it is safe and that you asked all the questions you wanted to and are happy with the answers then go for it! Please keep us updated!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I got extremely high quotes to get Remi neutered (they couldn't find one of his testciles, so it became a bigger issue) and was quotted $425-$715!!! Mind blowing right??

I think bulldogs are higher risk going under and I have to admit, I do think people look at us and think we're loaded. Maybe I'm just being a jerk tho.

Unfortunately, no experience with the low discount places. I did consider it, but they all stated that they wouldn't accept breeds like bulldogs due to the risks of the brachycephalic breeds (Short face!)
I remember reading your thread about this topic. Snap Houston will fix branchycephalic breeds too and I will make sure to Check tomorrow that they are familiar with English bulldogs when meeting with the vet to drop her off.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We haven't used any of the lo-cost places. I would check that they use ISO and just go with your instincts when you take her in.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's the safest way for Bullys. They don't use a general anesthetic and instead use a gas that they tube them with. No deep sleep, lung and breathing isssues and they wake up immediately with oxygen. Totally different and no way should a Bully be anestethesied any other way. If they don't know of it or don't offer it, I would keep searching.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I think it is crazy to that fixing a dog cost that much! Did you talk to them about what meds they use to put her to sleep? Thats where the problems are because of breathing issues. I say if you think its safe go for it because sometimes it does come down to what you can afford and are whiling to pay. If you feel it is safe and that you asked all the questions you wanted to and are happy with the answers then go for it! Please keep us updated!
What questions should I ask? Anything in particular?

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
It's the safest way for Bullys. They don't use a general anesthetic and instead use a gas that they tube them with. No deep sleep, lung and breathing isssues and they wake up immediately with oxygen. Totally different and no way should a Bully be anestethesied any other way. If they don't know of it or don't offer it, I would keep searching.
Got it, I will make sure to ask and will only leave her if they offer that option.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree that you should ask about the iso. If they don't offer it. Then I would find another, even if they're more expensive.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Just found on their website:
The proposed spay/neuter clinics would adhere to the surgical guidelines developed by SNAP, which require that only veterinarians perform surgery. Animals would be sedated with IV Ketamine/Valium, intubated, and placed on isoflurane gas. Every animal would be placed on a heart monitor and pulse oximeter during surgery. One sterile surgery pack per animal will be used. A triple layer closure with absorbable suture materials would be required. Prophylaxis antibiotics would be given to every animal.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just found on their website:
The proposed spay/neuter clinics would adhere to the surgical guidelines developed by SNAP, which require that only veterinarians perform surgery. Animals would be sedated with IV Ketamine/Valium, intubated, and placed on isoflurane gas. Every animal would be placed on a heart monitor and pulse oximeter during surgery. One sterile surgery pack per animal will be used. A triple layer closure with absorbable suture materials would be required. Prophylaxis antibiotics would be given to every animal.

:up:
But ask anyway!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The main thing is ISO gas if they use other things it can take bullys a long time to wake up and they may need help with their breathing longer after!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Ditto! Ask but don't mention the iso. See if its what they will actually say!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.