General Question Blocked tear ducts

jmstanley

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abraham
Abe has bad tear stains. I have changed his food, water, and tried some of the tips on this forum. The vet said he has blocked tear ducts. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or had this problem?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I copied this for you[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Initially, a blocked tear duct might only cause excessive tearing or a cessation of tearing. A brown or pinkish stain might appear beneath the dogs [/FONT]eye where the tears drain. After a few days, the duct begins to swell and might turn red. These symptoms are usually the result of a developing infection. As the swelling increases, the duct pushes against the surrounding eye tissue. If left untreated, the dog might develop a prolapse of the third eyelid, or cherry eye, which appears as a large, red swelling.

• Numerous things cause blocked tear ducts in dogs. In some, the cause might be hereditary, and certain breeds are more susceptible to developing the condition. Eyelids that turn inward can also block the drainage of tears. Irritation caused by allergies, hair or other particles in the tear duct is another cause. Complications from previous eye infections, inflammation of the tear ducts and kinking of the drainage ducts in the nose also can all obstruct the flow of tears.

[h=2]Treatment[/h]
  • Treatment of blocked tear ducts in dogs depends on the underlying cause of the condition. When infection is responsible, treatment with antibiotics and eye rinses is usually sufficient to clear the blockage and prevent complications. If blocked ducts are caused by allergic irritation and inflammation, exposure to the allergen must be avoided, and medication might be prescribed to reduce the body's reaction to the offending substance. Proper hygiene and grooming are essential to treat existing blockages and prevent the development of new ones. Irrigation of the tear ducts can be performed by your vet. In severe cases, surgery to open or widen the ducts might be necessary.

[h=2]Warning[/h]The ASPCA warns that untreated eye infections and blocked tear ducts can result in permanent eye damage or blindness. Some dogs, especially smaller breeds, are more vulnerable to serious eye complications caused by blocked ducts. Symptoms should never be ignored. While you can attempt to encourage opening and drainage by applying warm compresses, any dog with persistent symptoms should be evaluated and treated by a veterinarian to protect the eye from damage.

OP
J

jmstanley

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abraham
So far no swelling or infection. He is just seven months old, do the vet says he is to young to put under to flush them out. I was just trying to find out more info.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i do not know but im sure someone will come along soon to help.

OP
J

jmstanley

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abraham
Thank you for your help. The vet did the florescent drops also. The color didn't come out of his nose.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't have any wisdom for you but I just wanted to say, I love that your dog's name is Abraham. :D Fabulous!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few users with cherry eye and dry eye experience... they can hopefully add some insight for you.

OP
J

jmstanley

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abraham
This helps but my vet says it is not cherry eye. She believes it is a blocked tear duct. Abe is my first bulldog so I'm kinda new. Ive owned boxers.I appreciate all the insight.

Most Reactions