Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea/ heart worm medicine

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

Default Flea/ heart worm medicine

Atticus took trifexis with no problems until he had mange. Afterwards he has puked every time. The vet said it's normal and not a big deal, but I would like to switch him to something else. I liked the ease of the pill ESP when it comes to bath time. What do you guys recommend?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flea/ heart worm medicine

I have tried Trifexis three months in a row and Otis has thrown it up each time. Guess it is not going to work for him.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I have always used Heart Guard with good results and this year as a preventive flea med. I used a Walmart brand called Adam's no problem there either. I would be worried too if one of my babes had a bad reaction to a med.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I would not use Trifexis, it has killed one of our dear friends bullies just recently. We normally use Sentenel, but can't get it right now so we use Heartguard.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

We used Revolution for our 2 guys from May to Oct. My 2 are both 10 months old, so it was their first time on meds for flea prevention. They both did well on this medication. It covers fleas, ticks, and heartworm, and is given once a month for 6 months. In April they will have blood tests again for heartworm, and then get weighed, as the medication dose is weight specific, and then they will take it again from May to Oct. again.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

I'm not for or against trifexis. And @DeAnna our vet said that throwing up is a normal side effect. Personally, I can't see throwing up to be good at all, so I decided to switch. I think that we will try a topical. All the suggestions are great and I will de.f. Look at them. This is what I love about this website!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well i use advantix for fleas at the moment and ivermectin liguid that the vet doses for her as a heartworm med.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We also us Revolution - its topical (put it between their shoulders) and its weight based -

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    We normally use Sentenel, but can't get it right now so we use Heartguard.
    ^^^ same here..... David, the Sentenel is 'suppose' to be back in mid-February
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I stay away from Trifexis - I've been using Revolution but will go back to Sentinel when it returns. I also use Flea 4X.

Cheerio mates!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I have a completely different view of heartworm meds. I go by holistic principles (both kids and dogs) and studying the heartworm lifecycle, we might be over-medicating our dogs.

The only way our dogs is going to get heartworm is if they get bitten by a mosquito who previously bit another dog that has heartworm larvae floating in its bloodstream and the larvae matures inside the mosquito before it bites your dog. Now, a mosquito has a lifespan of no more than 30 days. So this larva must mature within the mosquito and the mosquito has to bite your dog before it dies. Now, for that larvae to mature, it requires the proper temperature. Any temperature under 60 degrees even just for a couple of days is enough to stop the development of the larvae so that it can't mature before the mosquito dies. Of course, if the temperature is constantly in the 80's, then the larvae mature within a week - well before the mosquito dies.

Okay, so then when the mature larvae hits the dog's bloodstream, it has to fight off the dog's natural immune system until it finds its way into the heart and he's home safe, ready to build a mansion and make tons of babies...

Cats can get heartworm too but the cat doesn't have the proper environment for a heartworm to make babies, so the cat can't transmit eggs to mosquitoes to give to dogs and other cats.

Heartworms take 3-5 years before it can kill a dog. It only takes 2 years or so for it to kill a cat (smaller heart).

So, knowing this there are several ways to lower the chance of your dog dying from heartworm. K9 Advantix is also a mosquito repellant. So, just having K9 Advantix would be plenty of protection for your dog. Any other heartworm meds on top of this is double-insurance and the chemicals would be a greater risk than the heartworm. Year-round heartworm meds in Ohio is over-medicating. There are only a few months in Ohio where the temperature is above 60 consistently for 30 days.

I live in Florida - more 30-consecutive-days of above 60 degrees over here. I use K9 Advantix for the fleas and the mosquitos and get heartworm check yearly. My dogs wear shirts and bonnets (yes, they're styling - but it's really more for protection) on their walks and they don't go out in early morning or twilight when mosquitoes are more active. Anything more than that and I would worry more about the chemicals killing my dog than the heartworm.

But the first defense for the dog is a healthy immune system - that is, excellent nutrition. And for English Bulldogs, this can be quite a challenge.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
    Likes (Received)

Revolution is great. No side effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads