Help Needed! Flea/ heart worm medicine

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Atticus took trifexis with no problems until he had mange. Afterwards he has puked every time. The vet said it's normal and not a big deal, but I would like to switch him to something else. I liked the ease of the pill ESP when it comes to bath time. What do you guys recommend?

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I have tried Trifexis three months in a row and Otis has thrown it up each time. Guess it is not going to work for him.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have always used Heart Guard with good results and this year as a preventive flea med. I used a Walmart brand called Adam's no problem there either. I would be worried too if one of my babes had a bad reaction to a med.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would not use Trifexis, it has killed one of our dear friends bullies just recently. We normally use Sentenel, but can't get it right now so we use Heartguard.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We used Revolution for our 2 guys from May to Oct. My 2 are both 10 months old, so it was their first time on meds for flea prevention. They both did well on this medication. It covers fleas, ticks, and heartworm, and is given once a month for 6 months. In April they will have blood tests again for heartworm, and then get weighed, as the medication dose is weight specific, and then they will take it again from May to Oct. again.

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
I'm not for or against trifexis. And [MENTION=698]DeAnna[/MENTION] our vet said that throwing up is a normal side effect. Personally, I can't see throwing up to be good at all, so I decided to switch. I think that we will try a topical. All the suggestions are great and I will de.f. Look at them. This is what I love about this website!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i use advantix for fleas at the moment and ivermectin liguid that the vet doses for her as a heartworm med.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We also us Revolution - its topical (put it between their shoulders) and its weight based -

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We normally use Sentenel, but can't get it right now so we use Heartguard.

^^^ same here..... David, the Sentenel is 'suppose' to be back in mid-February

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I stay away from Trifexis - I've been using Revolution but will go back to Sentinel when it returns. I also use Flea 4X.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Okay, I have a completely different view of heartworm meds. I go by holistic principles (both kids and dogs) and studying the heartworm lifecycle, we might be over-medicating our dogs.

The only way our dogs is going to get heartworm is if they get bitten by a mosquito who previously bit another dog that has heartworm larvae floating in its bloodstream and the larvae matures inside the mosquito before it bites your dog. Now, a mosquito has a lifespan of no more than 30 days. So this larva must mature within the mosquito and the mosquito has to bite your dog before it dies. Now, for that larvae to mature, it requires the proper temperature. Any temperature under 60 degrees even just for a couple of days is enough to stop the development of the larvae so that it can't mature before the mosquito dies. Of course, if the temperature is constantly in the 80's, then the larvae mature within a week - well before the mosquito dies.

Okay, so then when the mature larvae hits the dog's bloodstream, it has to fight off the dog's natural immune system until it finds its way into the heart and he's home safe, ready to build a mansion and make tons of babies...

Cats can get heartworm too but the cat doesn't have the proper environment for a heartworm to make babies, so the cat can't transmit eggs to mosquitoes to give to dogs and other cats.

Heartworms take 3-5 years before it can kill a dog. It only takes 2 years or so for it to kill a cat (smaller heart).

So, knowing this there are several ways to lower the chance of your dog dying from heartworm. K9 Advantix is also a mosquito repellant. So, just having K9 Advantix would be plenty of protection for your dog. Any other heartworm meds on top of this is double-insurance and the chemicals would be a greater risk than the heartworm. Year-round heartworm meds in Ohio is over-medicating. There are only a few months in Ohio where the temperature is above 60 consistently for 30 days.

I live in Florida - more 30-consecutive-days of above 60 degrees over here. I use K9 Advantix for the fleas and the mosquitos and get heartworm check yearly. My dogs wear shirts and bonnets (yes, they're styling - but it's really more for protection) on their walks and they don't go out in early morning or twilight when mosquitoes are more active. Anything more than that and I would worry more about the chemicals killing my dog than the heartworm.

But the first defense for the dog is a healthy immune system - that is, excellent nutrition. And for English Bulldogs, this can be quite a challenge.

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Revolution is great. No side effects.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have used Heartguard Plus for almost 4 years, I live in Florida and Vegas has never ever had a flea (thank god)

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Living next to a few ponds, swampy areas, and the ocean Mosquitos are rampant. Atticus is also all white and Mosquitos jump on him. I also live in an area with lots of other dogs. I agree that strong immune systems are key! I think we will try the heartguard I've the sentinel isn't available and it seems to be what works for most bully owners. I was really looking for something that I could still use regular soap so keep the suggestions coming

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.