Help Needed! How to get rid of black spots (seasonal alopecia?)

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Baxter has been forming these black spots around the back of his rib cage, it is really bad on his left side and you can kind of see it on his right side as well. I posted before and people identified it as seasonal alopecia, which it very well may be. Based on recommendations we have been giving him Melatonin pills, but we have seen no improvement in well over a month, and in fact, we think it has started to get worse. Baxter is 1.5 years old, weighs appx 70 lbs and we feed him the Bulldog Breed of Royal Canin.

Is there anyone out there that has had luck treating this? A picture is also posted if anyone thinks it could be something other than seasonal alopecia. 2013-01-19_19-58-20_9.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry, not much help, I'm not sure what that could be, as I have never seen this before, hopefully someone will come around and be able to help you. Have you asked your vet what it could be? Did he give you any suggestions.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
My advice to you is stop feeding the Royal Canin! We fed our Winston that stuff for almost two years, and just recently changed over to Blue Basics, which is grain-free. In a month his coat is softer, the black on his sides is going away, and he's so much less itchy! I really think the food is what caused those shadow spots on his sides.

OP
baxtyboy

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
I have not brought him into the vet yet, I wanted to try home remedies first. Figure I would give the forums one last shot, and if I don't figure something out in the next week then I will bring him in.

OP
baxtyboy

baxtyboy

Dec 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
Thanks Tracy! So Winston had these spots and switched over to Blue Basics and they went away? I'm going to look up Blue Basics right now.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
black spots.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo, but yes. He's had these spots for several months now. We never knew what to make of them; After some research Mike (husband) learned that they can sometimes show up from stress.

After becoming an English Bulldog News cultmember, I made the switch from Royal Canin Bulldog formula to the Blue Basics. It is actually a little cheaper than the Royal Canin, and I liked it because it is grain-free. Most of the members here would recommend Fromm's foods over anything else, but I can't convince Winston's daddy to pay that much for his doggie food.

The spots have faded greatly, they're brown now instead of black, and there are spots of his fawn fur coming through them. I imagine by spring he might be back to his regular old tiger-striped self. :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:spartak:Hi again it's vikinggirl, I went on line and looked this up for you , and this is what it says, Seasonal Alopecia, is also called Cyclic Follicular Dysplasia. It is prevalent in some breeds such as Boxers, pit bulls, bulldogs, American Bulldog, and American Staffordshire Terriers , it is characterized as a slow hair loss, typically along the sides of the dog. The skin where the hair loss occurs tends to become darker. This does not cause discomfort to the dog, but it can be disturbing for the owner to see. The condition is caused by a lack of sunshine exposure, but can also be caused by a thyroid disorder, or a hormonal condition. It may take months to show , and can take 3 to 6 months for fur regrowth. It can be diagnosed through blood tests, and can be aided by Melatonin and fish oil supplements, as well as increased sun exposure. I hope this helps you, and I'm glad it's nothing serious and can be treated.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm going to take a few people that have had experience with this or may have. I forget what it's called but I've seen it here before. Royal Canine is not the highest quality of food and some due well on it but more do not.

Be sure to check out the Dog Food Rating when you have a chance.

Here's a couple of threads on this too that might help. Looks like it's called "seasonal alopecia"

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...nk-alopecia-progress-suppliment-pictures.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldogs-health/21638-black-spots-near-ribs.html

Hope that helps.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have not had experience with this but i think my friend has ill tag her. i believe a food change helped her dog to but not sure. @Vicaroo1000. it does look like seasonal flank alopecia. ive heard it does not bother the dogs at all and bothers the owner more really. i was just reading another poster who was feeding royal canin prescription food and when they changed food the alopecia went away.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
i have not had experience with this but i think my friend has ill tag her. i believe a food change helped her dog to but not sure. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]. it does look like seasonal flank alopecia. ive heard it does not bother the dogs at all and bothers the owner more really.

During Bea's first summer she had a nasty bout of this. Not nasty for her --- it didn't bother her a bit -- I just thought she looked pretty weird. LOL Her second summer, I expected to see it again --- but it never came back. My vet told me that there's nothing you can really do -- but exposure to sunlight has helped others. As her winter coat came in, the alopecia went away. The condition had nothing to do with food (with Bea). I think I gave fish oil for a time but saw no real change so quit putting that stinky stuff in her food. I looked for a good shot of her flanks but I can't find one. It looked pretty much like what you've got going on there. Soothing oatmeal shampoo baths helped me deal with it. I don't think she cared either way. That second summer, because I have one bridle bully and then Miss Alopecia, most folks thought she had "unusual markings". LOL She will be three in March.

It might go away and not come back.

I give Grizzly Salmon oil now -- to help with shedding -- and boy does it help. Incredible.

*waves* [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Yes it definately looks like Seasonal alopecia - the same that Gizmo has been going through for 2 years.

1st thing - there is not 'Sure Fire Cure' for this - its suspected that its due to low sunlight, so its seasonal, more so in the winter.

now, you tried the Melotonin and it didnt help (no surprise there, it works with some but not all)

We have had some success with a product called 'MISSING LINK' with Gizmo - 'some success' as in its not as bad as it was -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger/sets/72157630159176396/ this is my photo set of 'before and during' the suppliment MISSING LINK

here is the product Missing Link Products, we use the missing link ULTIMATE formula, which has the extra benefit for hips and joints.

again, I have to stress, that its NOT a cure all, but as you can see it has seemed to help. (or it could be that the season had changed) we'll know better come spring I guess.

Good luck, and keep in mind, alopecia is only cosmetic - dont throw a bunch of money around on tests and antibotics (Get a scraping just to make sure its not mites, but dont pay for a biopsy, which would be a waste of money)

Last edited by a moderator:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
My bully, Petunia, also started getting 'flank alopecia' when she turned 18 months and has had it ever since. I tried the melatonin and it didn't seem to help much. Recently, I changed her food from Royal Canin Prescription (weight loss formula) to a grain-free kibble (Pure Vita Salmon and Sweet potato). I have noticed since the switch that her black skin is starting to turn lighter and some hair is growing back!

Dunno, what that is about but I will keep you posted!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online