General Question Medcal problems

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I have been reading alot of posts about medical and cleaning, etc. My pup is 14 weeks old, we got him at 13 weeks. We took him to the vet the next day we got hm and the vet said, he is good, no worry about tail flap?, doesnt have it, pallete is good, no heart murmur. The vet said as of now we are looking at 50%, will wait to see if allegies develop if not he is perfect. He said other than allegies everything he sees in EB my pup isnt showing any. My question is how and when will we know about allergies or what to look for. Thanks

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi, glad your first visit went well!

Allergies usually develop as they get older. Common symptoms would be excessive itching, paw licking, chronic ear infections, hair loss, excessive mushy poop, hot spots and watery eyes. Not always all symptoms may occur.

Many times bad nutrition is the culprit, as many bulldogs are allergic to something in the food they are eating. Low grade foods commonly weaken the immune system causing more severe allergy problems. Getting on a good diet and nutrition program is a must for all bullies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Allergies usually develop as they get older. Common symptoms would be excessive itching, paw licking, chronic ear infections, hair loss, excessive mushy poop, hot spots and watery eyes. Not always all symptoms may occur.

Many times bad nutrition is the culprit, as many bulldogs are allergic to something in the food they are eating. Low grade foods commonly weaken the immune system causing more severe allergy problems. Getting on a good diet and nutrition program is a must for all bullies :)

:goodpost::goodpost:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, what she said.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I also think that there may be a higher incidence of bulldogs on this site with allergies because many people may have been prompted to look for help if they noticed a problem with their baby and found their way here.

Allergies and problems are not a fait accompli though. I have two unrelated bulldogs and they have not allergies, no problems with gulping their food, or overeating, or anything like that. I also fed them raw since they were 6 months and 4 months, respectively.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

advice like this is why she's the boss :yes:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
The *MOST* Important thing, is HIGH QUALITY Food ! ! ! can not stress that enough - So many posts, and alot are on low grade food -

Yes it costs more per bag, but not always more per serving, as the cheaper food you tend to feed MORE to them. We've only really seen Gizmo react to 1 thing, and it was the Puppy Shampoo we were using on Hershey... she would LIGHT UP.. eyes would swell, and she'd be miserable. After the 2nd time it happend, we figured it out (thank god!)

Good luck :) keep posting in GOOD Health and in Bad :) we're all here in support :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Foods are a lot of time the culprit. However don't rule out other things, like plastics and artificial fabrics etc. My bully growing up was allergic to grass!

From what I have been told allergies usually develop around a year of age, however can develop at any time, just like humans.

Welcome to the site. Your little one is adorable

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
When Larry had his allergic reaction (was to beef) his chest broke out, he scratched it like crazy and was a bloody mess (He was about 18 weeks? when it happened)

Everyone above has given awesome advice :) Just watch out for scratching, chewing paws, etc :)

Most Reactions