General Question Cherry Eye..

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
I have question, does every bulldog usually gets the cherry eye? I know its common but im sure you guys own bulldogs, have they gotten a cherry eye?
Please share your experience.. Is it a genetic trait passed down to the pups?

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Yeah I was reading that. I was just curious. i was seeing people post about their pups being 5 months and 3 months old getting the cherry eye. I was just curious if thats genetic trait passed down to the pups.

My brother has male bully. He has not gotten sick at all. ( not trying to jinx him ) - So that's why I had asked that question..
Is there a way to prevent that?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah I was reading that. I was just curious. i was seeing people post about their pups being 5 months and 3 months old getting the cherry eye. I was just curious if thats genetic trait passed down to the pups.

My brother has male bully. He has not gotten sick at all. ( not trying to jinx him ) - So that's why I had asked that question..
Is there a way to prevent that?

No prevention to my knowledge... I will tag a few members with experience and they may be able to shed some light

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Although it is common in EBs it's not something that happens to all of them. It is a weakened 3rd eyelid muscle. Damage to the eye or the muscle can also cause it to pop, allergies, as well as stress.

It can be genetic I think as well, as with anything that is common with a particular breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I guess it must be partially genetic as common as it is. Cutty has never had it but Miila sure had 1. My pug never had it either. Never heard of a way of avoiding it. I think it either happens or it doesn't.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Luis323, I know how disturbing the first appearance of Cherry eye can be. I just about freaked. But I've learned that it's really no big deal to handle myself. And, both what I've read and my own experience tells me that it gets a lot better (less frequent) over time. Some say that it is likely to go away entirely if you just keep tucking it back in where it belongs. I think I believe that. At first, Daisy was getting Cherry Eye just about every day. Now, after a couple of months of tucking it back in every time I see it, she's only getting it once a week or so. She's 9 months old right now, so I'm thinking the problem might just disappear altogether by the time she's fully grown. I just gently but firmly use my index finger on her eyelid to tuck it down and in. I feel the orbit of her eye socket as I wipe my finger down and around toward the bridge of her nose. The Cherry Eye usually goes right back in place on the first swipe. It seems completely painless for Daisy. I've never had any trouble with it. It certainly isn't something for which I'd subject her to a surgery. Of course, if it came out and wouldn't go back, that would be a different story.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We were told by our vet after 2x minumum of trying to massage back in if it kept coming out we should opt for surgery. I would reccomend massaging only if you feel comfortable and were showed by a vet how to do it. You could cause damage if not done properly. Brutus had his popped out 2 different times and they went back in with massaging and warm compress. I would take him to the vet for a check and see what they say :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, cherry eye is a common occurrence for the Brachycephalic breeds of dogs, that's dogs with flattened short noses such as bulldogs, boxers, pugs, Boston terriers, French bulldogs, etc, it can be genetic, but it can also be caused by a weak immune system, or stress. It is a prolapsed eyelid, these breeds have a third eyelid that protects the eye from dust, and it sometimes develops cherry eye. It is common to occur between 3 and 5 months, and usually one eye will pop out first, and then the other eye will often but not always come out as well. The other eye can pop out up to 3 or 4 months after the first one. It is repaired by surgery by either tacking the eye gland back in with a stitch, or removing the gland all together. The tacking in surgery has a 85% success rate, but there is a small risk of the eye gland popping back out on some cases, but if it is going to reoccur after surgery, it will usually come out within the first few days to a week if it is going to come out. The removal of the gland has a small risk of developing dry eye, and if this develops , then eye drops are required for the life of the dog. Dry eye can also develop later after tacking the eye back in, and even in bulldogs who have never had cherry eye or surgery on their eyes, as bulldogs are susceptible to this. I'm not sure how common this is with bulldogs, but I have two 10 month old EB pups, they are brother and sister from the same litter, and my female Blossom developed cherry eye in her left eye at the age of 5 months, which I repaired at the same time as her spay surgery at the age of 7 months, and then a week after her surgery, her right eye came out as well, and she had a second surgery a month later. We opted to have them stitched back in, and we are very happy with the results, the vet did a great job. It's been 3 months since the surgeries, and her eyes are beautiful, no swelling, no tears or discharge, and no problems post surgical. My male Bulldozer didn't develop any cherry eye. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.