Help Needed! Chronic ear infections

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I know I've posted about ear infections before, but I'm really unsure of how to proceed. I've tried everything from witch hazel to the expensive vet brands of wash, I've tried cleaning as frequently as daily, or as little as once a week, and Charlotte's left ear is almost always infected. We've had four ear infections (just the left ear) in the past 3 months. Does anyone have any suggestions?

She also does seem to get a little yeasty sometimes, so I was wondering if these are yeast ear infections if maybe a change in food would help?

Thanks y'all
T

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I'm definitly not the food expert, but it could be food. Even if your using a highly rated food there may be an allergy to one of the ingredients in it.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
Buster had chronic ear infections due to his allergies. His vet finally referred us to a dermatologist -he put him on antibiotics, heavy dose of steroids and ear washes twice daily. It took a while, but finally got them cleared up although I had to continue the washes every two days for the rest of his life. He never had another infection after that though.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I know I've posted about ear infections before, but I'm really unsure of how to proceed. I've tried everything from witch hazel to the expensive vet brands of wash, I've tried cleaning as frequently as daily, or as little as once a week, and Charlotte's left ear is almost always infected. We've had four ear infections (just the left ear) in the past 3 months. Does anyone have any suggestions?

She also does seem to get a little yeasty sometimes, so I was wondering if these are yeast ear infections if maybe a change in food would help?

Thanks y'all
T

This could very well be food related. I'd say it's time for a change. What ever the protein base is, think about changing it. Go grain free if you already haven't. Some bully's are allergic to chicken. hope this helps

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)

I have first hand experience with chronic yeast/ear infections, but not with my EBD. I had a bullmastiff that suffered endlessly with chronic yeast which led to infections. I spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills, ear washes, holistic remedies, and antibiotics. I researched the internet, tried holistic remedies- all to no avail. Interestingly, during my quest for the answer, I found light reference to "switching foods" but none that specifically said what foods to avoid! So, I switched from one good food to another, never looking at the ingredients!! DUH! Anyway, I wish I could tell you there was a happy ending, but I never did get the ears cleared up before he was diagnosed with bone cancer and had to be put down. However, after joining here and reading up on the dog food threads, I had this HUGE AHAAAA moment! It was most likely the potato ingredient causing his problems! I wish I had known about limited ingredient foods, as I would have started there. His vet was no help either I might add! So, now I know and hopefully will never have that problem. I would guess your pup is allergic to something in her food, and I would be looking at trying something different. The food Guru's here are marvelous and can point you in the right direction. It has really come to focus that vets really don't know enough about nutrition and food related allergies. Sad, but true. You will certainly find your answers here! Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks y'all
T

Definitly can be food related.... have you ever had a full blood screen allergy test done on her? It may be worht doing to find exactly what her sensitivity is. For Banks, it is mostly environmental, but she is highly allergic to chicken and I do all I can to avoid grains and potatoes

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - can help if you want to change food

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Hey guys,
shes never had a full work up for allergies. For a short time I put her on a salmon based food and she blew up (rashes all over, gooky eyes, bloodshot eyes, etc) so I put her back on pork

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say try a food change to see if that helps.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i agree chronic ear infections are usually food related. if you would like i can help you find a food. [MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION]

Most Reactions