Help Needed! Question on separation anxiety!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi guys!!! First of all I want to say Happy New Year to all!!! So, I had to leave home as I do every 4 months to attend classes in Albany NY for Clinique. Im only gone for 3 days and although Mocha seems sad while Im gone, She handles it well. But I guess not this time. She got in her crate and was supper down and seem depressed. And Scott texted me this morning telling me she vomited!!!! I was so upset I could hardly concentrate and It was awful. So, I get back home about 3 hours ago and she is playing and doing her crazy time and all joyfull and perky!!! Im flattered that she loves me this much , but also a bit upset because I will have to go again and I dont want her to go through this. Another thing is lately she is terrified of strange noises and new years eve she was shivering because some jerky neighbor was freaking doing fireworks. I know she is scared of them ,but she was beside herself glued to me and wouldnt go out to pee. I know Cesar Millan says not to pet them while they are in this state, but I couldnt help myself because she was so nervous. Any of your Bullies experience any of this symptoms?? How do you handle it?? What do you do???

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
First of all the separation anxiety I've experienced in a couple of rescue bullies doesn't usually just mean looking and feeling down and depressed. It means some serious shredding and destruction of anything near the bully. So that's the good news!!!!! I dont' think Mocha has separation anxiety, cos that's REALLY difficult to deal with and to treat.

Scared of fireworks is something common ..... and to be honest I don't blame them. I don't really like fireworks.

Being joyful at you returning is normal. The vomiting not so much ... so I would say right now it's a coincidence and that hopefully the next time you have to go away that she will sulk BIG TIME and maybe pout a bit. You may even get some stink eye on your return before the joyful forgiveness.

If she throws up everytime you go away .. it's unusual and that may need more help.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
She will be ok..she undoubtedly feels your fear and worry. You got great advice from Kazzy. Fear of fireworks is totally common. We have a friend whose Lab gets in their bathtub and shakes. Poor babies, they just don't understand..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I agree with these fabulous ladies.

Dogs are instinctual beings that live in the moment.

Grandma tells me that Bea won't even come out of her crate when I'm not at home. She has to MAKE HER go outside and potty and it's a whole production. While I'm sure Bea "misses" me on some level at that moment, if I come home in the next moment, the previous one is immediately forgotten!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke was like this whenever I was away for any lenght of time... we did a week in DC and they stayed home with my sister at our house. Nitschke would not do anything - just laid by the door.. he ate very little and only wanted sleep. My sister was so upset, thinking he was sick - she sent me pictures, called me so he could hear my voice - we walked in and Nitschke was back to himself. Banks, on the other hand, did not skip a beat of her routine... she enjoyed all the extra kid time since Nitschke was pouting. :D

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yeah, I agree with kazzy, probably not a separation anxiety but more of like he wasn't feeling too well. I have a bichon with bad separation anxiety and he's a basket case when I leave the house - even just to go to the grocery. He would destroy things, pee on everything, cry non-stop, and literally gets himself so sick, it would take days to get him back to normal. I have to lock him in his crate everytime I leave the house - even for just 15 minutes. And he usually comes with me on trips. If he really can't be with me on a trip, then he goes to my nephew (the only one who can stand all the whining) and he just tries to do the best he can to comfort him.

But now that we got Bullie - his separation anxiety has gotten a little better. Now, as long as Bullie is with him, he doesn't destroy things or whine as much anymore. I still can't leave him out of his crate if I'm gone for more than an hour, though.

But yes, most dogs usually get sad when their mommy's are gone for a long period of time. It's just that they also worry for our safety.

Fireworks - man, yeah, we used to have dobermans. And one time, we had a neighborhood block party for July 4th right on the street infront of our house. We let the dogs out to join the party. After dinner, the neighbors put all their fireworks together and started shooting them up and my 2 dobermans ran to our front-door. Well, it was closed, so they ran to our car. Well, the doors were closed except for the sunroof... believe it or not, the 2 dogs climbed up the hood of my car, scratching it all up with their nails, and went in the car through the sunroof! It happened so fast, we weren't able to stop them fast enough!

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Thank you all for your sweet stories and the advice. Its just that I see it getting worse and of course worries me. She is such a baby!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - what a story about those dobermans! Poor things. Can you imagine the PANIC they were going through at that moment? Yikes.

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Gator gets depressed when we leave and our friend comes and watches him, he would eat and shred everything diarrhea everyday... But the last time we left for a week we had another keep him at his house but we left him with our son's blanket since he they sleep together, it worked he had no problems what so ever... So maybe next time you leave give him a shirt or something with your scent on it...

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
My boy is 6. I just found out every year when I vacation he goes into a funk (they didn't want to tell me). He is depressed & stares at the door. This year he was letting out little screams. I am at a loss too. My vet says there is a collar I can purchase that releases pheromones to calm him. I only vacation once a year for 4 days. I don't think I can leave him this year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 104

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.