My EB, Briley, had cherry eye. I knew this was very common, and there was a high chance of having the other side pop out as well. I wanted to wait a few weeks or so to see if the other eye developed the problem before doing anything, because it would be easier and safer to do it all in one procedure rather than 2 and my vet gave me eye drops to use in the meantime. A few weeks went by and the other eye never had any issues. I had the option of tacking or removal. I chose removal because it was a one time procedure and I didn't want to risk it coming back after tacking and going through it all over again. I didn't want him to be put under more than once because of their known issues with it, so I took the risk of dry eye and had it removed. This was about 3 months ago and I've had no signs of dry eye! And the surgery was only $175! Your quote seems AWFULLY high, I would maybe get another opinion/quote.
Chances are, if it came back after being tacked once, it probably will again. Although, since it's a new technique it may not (I don't know what this approach entails)
Goodluck with it all!