URGENT!!! Goldie keeps trying...

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Okay, as some of you know, I am fostering Goldie until she can find her forever home. Detroit Bulldog Rescue is paying for all of her vet care and is calling their vet to schedule her for her spay, eye surgery and possible pallet surgery. My concern this morning is the last couple of mornings she has started to cough and hack and coughs up the white foamy phlegm. It usually disappeared after she ate breakfast. This morning, however, I heard her coughing and hacking while I was in the bathroom at 6 am. I took her outside to potty and brought her back in and she went right back into her crate. She has continued to hack up foam all morning so far. She hasn't touched her breakfast (unusual) and she also didn't get a drink of water while she was out. I tried squirting lemon juice into the back of her throat hoping to break up the foam and while she seems slightly better, she is still coughing and hacking up foam. She hasn't laid down to take a nap and just seems miserable.

Any other suggestions I could do until she can get seen by Dr. Wilson in Detroit? I don't want her to suffer and feel so bad because I'm not sure what to do to help her.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Have you tried a sport bottle that you can force her to take some water in? I really dont know either, just throwing that out there for something to try to get some liquid in her.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Bruce. I'm going to try to take her outside again and see if I can get her to drink some water.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
May have found the problem. I took Goldie outside and the first thing she did was vomit yellow bile and mixed in were three pieces of what looks like a tennis ball. She has no toys in her crate, so I know she didn't ingest it while she was here, so she must have eaten it when she was living with John and his family. She went pee and then poo'd and her poo looks normal so far. She came in got a drink of water from the bowl and went back into her crate. I was going to leave her out and put my boys away, but she prefers to be in her crate so far today.

I know there are experienced people on here who have gone through this when their bully eats a toy. I've been lucky so far and haven't had that problem, so I'm new to what to watch for. Help?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I was going to suggest lemon juice to maybe break up the phlem but if it is a toy not sure that would help. Hope she got it all out! Poor thing.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: I had to take Goldie into Wilson Veterinary Hospital outside of Detroit. They took an xray and there are still pieces of ball inside her stomach along with a LOT of poo. She may have a mild case of pneumonia due to aspirating because there were some changes on her lungs and her temp was 103. They are keeping her for about 4-5 days and more than likely doing surgery to remove the ball (or what's left of it). I'm hoping that they will be able to spay her and fix her entropian but they don't want to keep her under for too long especially since she's having respiratory issues. One problem at a time but my house seems really quiet without her even though I have three numskulls running around

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you and Goldie are in my thoughts and prayers, hope all goes well!!! :hug:

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Before I got to your last post, I was thinking; "Better get an X-Ray of those stomach contents!" I don't know why, but our Bullies seem to eat anything and everything, digestible or not. I'm constantly scanning the floor for objects, checking their toys for chew damage, and patrolling the yard for anything that might have blown in or been dropped by a bird. I have to watch them like a hawk when we are out for a walk. I'll be keeping you and Goldie in my prayers.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.