General Question Probiotic supplements for yeasty rolls?

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
Hi All,

I was curious if anyone had tried giving their bulldog probiotic supplements to help fight the never ending battle of yeasty face roll? and if it helped... Bindie is 5 1/2 and she has stinky yeast face more often than not, and it often turns into an eye or ear infection... Then the vet gives antibiotics/antifungal when it gets really bad which temporarily it clears up for a bit, but always comes back... I am hoping by adding a probiotic in her diet we will be able to manage this cycle a little better, with less Dr. meds...

Thanks
Bre-Anna (Bindie Boo's mom)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I havent' tried them personally but I'm sure there will be some members who have and could probably give you some ideas.

All I can say is that when you have yeasty issues with bullies it all comes down to their food and/or the protein source. What are you feeding Bindie??

Oh ............ and a big :welcome: to EBN!!! :up:

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
Thank you for the warm welcome,

We feed her California Natural- Chicken - Low fat formula...
bn1.jpg

seernod

Jan 2, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry and Frenchie named Willow
We have always givin our dogs Opti Gest and it seems to help alot with there gas and there well being

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
A LOT of bulldogs seem to be allergic to chicken. My Maggie was ... and Daddy, Linus and Bella all seem to do better if I keep them off the chicken too.

You might want to consider changing the flavour to something other than chicken.

You'll find that as you poke around EBN a bit more, that many many people go for a grain free and chicken free food purely because of bully allergies. Fromm Beef Frittata seems to be the top favorite of most members here.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I just tagged cowsmom too ... she is our resident food guru and might be able to help you out.

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
California Natural has a low fat lamb formula as well that we may consider... we chose CN because of the minimal ingredients (chicken and rice and vitamins)... she has had lots of allergies and digestive issues over the years, and this is what she has done best with (not considering her stink face, lol)... We've dealt with cystic acne on her face, rashes on the belly, as well as digestive issues...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I give daily powdered probiotic and digestive enzymes. Works great helps with gas and proper digestion and absorption of nutrients from food. It does also help with yeast. Another thing you can do is add finely chopped cilantro to their meal it has natural antifungal properties to help keep yeast in the gut regulated since yeast typically starts from the inside and blossoms outward.

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
Thank you for the tip, we started her on probiotics today... We are going to give it a few weeks to see how she does with that...
I realized yesterday that we have always been so careful and cautious with her food, but we give her the crappiest unhealthiest treats because the were low calorie (cheese flavored PupCorn)... I'm not gonna lie, I kinda felt dumb when I read the ingredients :ashamed:... I am looking in to finding a healthier low calorie treat she will enjoy... I'm thinking the addition of probiotics and lack of PupCorn is a good place to start :pray:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well a yeasty face could be food related. i would cut out the treats for sure and i use a probiotic i buy from the drug store used for people. 1 billion units. they say use the ones that dont have to be in the refridgerator. sarah is very allergy prone so i use natures bounty 1 billion units probiotic. i would suggest another protein food to. i also see the lowfat has grains which can feed yeast you may want to try one of the grain free ones. they have a grain free lamb one.

A

Alaskasmom1

I use acidophilus from SAMs club and feed raw. Cured every smell, itch, gas problem. The pearls work well too. Kroger is cheapest I've found for pearls. I give acidophilus year round. That's what works for me:-)
Not sure what works for others but that's my two cents.

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
I use acidophilus from SAMs club and feed raw. Cured every smell, itch, gas problem. The pearls work well too. Kroger is cheapest I've found for pearls. I give acidophilus year round. That's what works for me:-)
Not sure what works for others but that's my two cents.

Thank you so much for the info :2thumbs: I will check out the SAMs club version next time I am there... I take acidophilus daily too, since I am not a yogurt fan BLEH! I'm sure it's a better deal than the Trader Joes version I currently take...

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
well a yeasty face could be food related. i would cut out the treats for sure and i use a probiotic i buy from the drug store used for people. 1 billion units. they say use the ones that dont have to be in the refridgerator. sarah is very allergy prone so i use natures bounty 1 billion units probiotic. i would suggest another protein food to. i also see the lowfat has grains which can feed yeast you may want to try one of the grain free ones. they have a grain free lamb one.

Thank you for the advice. We are going to try and tackle this one step at a time, so we are getting rid of the treats first and progressing slowly as need... For us it will be easier to pin point actual problems... From what I've been reading the last couple days, I think we will end up having to change her food, but want her to adjust to the treat change first :)

I will keep you posted!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you for the advice. We are going to try and tackle this one step at a time, so we are getting rid of the treats first and progressing slowly as need... For us it will be easier to pin point actual problems... From what I've been reading the last couple days, I think we will end up having to change her food, but want her to adjust to the treat change first :)

I will keep you posted!!
i totally understand it is the only way to know what is causing it is to take away one thing at a time so no worries. :2thumbs:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
When you do decide to treat- Wellness has many pure treats with no corn wheat or soy. most Bulldogs cannot tolerate them . Also chicken is a problem so I use the venison and break the pieces into the size of my baby fingernail for tiny treats. Also I use tiny bits of Crumps died beef and dried liver for high value treats to reinforce new behaviour. There are no additives and they are low calorie. It says approx 10 calories per piece and I break them into smaller pieces so maybe 2-4 calories each. Wait til your Bully is stable then you might want to introduce one thing at a time to see how it is tolerated. Wish you all the best. There is light at the end of this tunnel.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.