General Question Lucy seems to poop too much

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
hello everyone...my Lucy is 15 weeks and I take her out to potty about every half hour all day, she is doing great and has no accidents inside!! well, just wondering something, she poops alot during the day..once first thing in the morning, then after breakfast and pretty much every other time she goes outside and after meals lol...her poop is normal, formed and no struggle ...she just poops about 7 times a day,,is this normal? she was wormed and eats 3x a day about half a cup....thanks!!:blink:

Attachments

• luci.jpg
    luci.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 119

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my male Dozer poops about 4 or 5 times a day, and my female usually only 2 or 3 times a day, they eat the same food and the same amount. I think every dog is different and have different metabolisms. What type of food do you feed her? At 15 months 1/2 cup 3 times a day seems too little for a growing puppy, my 2 ate 1 cup 3 times a day until they were 7 months old, and then I switched them to 1 1/2 cups twice a day. A puppy needs the extra calories, and vitamins for rapid growth, and because they are so active. If the poop is normal and soft but firm , not runny or soft, I wouldn't worry about it, just might be normal for her.

Last edited:
OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
I been told so many different amounts to feed her.I was doing a cup 3x a day but when I asked I was told by a few it was too much..Lucy seems to eat about 3/4 a cup when I fill it to see how Much she wants at a feeding so I'll probably stick with that ... I feed chicken soup for puppy lovers soul..

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I been told so many different amounts to feed her.I was doing a cup 3x a day but when I asked I was told by a few it was too much..Lucy seems to eat about 3/4 a cup when I fill it to see how Much she wants at a feeding so I'll probably stick with that ... I feed chicken soup for puppy lovers soul..

The recommended feeding amount of Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul is 3 1/4 - 4 1/3 cups per day (20-30 lbs, 3-4 months old).

Your puppy is pooping on the high side of frequency. There can be several reasons for that - his body is not digesting the food efficiently which may be due to an allergy or just a sensitivity to a certain ingredient of the food or he might have some parasites. Or this could be just a reaction to stimuli (he sees grass, he wants to go).

My suggestion is to extend the time between his going outside. For a 4 month old puppy, going out every 30 minutes is just waaaaay too much. By this time, your dog should be able to "hold it" for up to 4 hours. Slowly extend the time before you take him outside until you get to do this schedule: Take him outside first thing in the morning. Then take him outside again after every meal, then take him outside before he goes to bed. That's it. See how that goes.

If he's still pooping 7 times a day, you might want to just take a stool sample to the vet just to be sure nothing is wrong inside.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Idk but I wanted to tell u Lucy is soo sweet n I love the pic modeling her harness lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You may have to UN learn her of going out so often... what I mean is increase the time between trips outside gradually til she is used to only going out less often.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is 15 weeks also and he seems to go poop around 8 to 10 times a day sometimes and then other days he will only go about 6. I think it just depends on the individual dog and then the individual day. Someone told me once that they poop more as puppies as well and then will not poop as much when they get older. I do not know if this is true or not. We also have the same issue of Rumble wanting to go outside all the time. He has started barking at the door to tell us he has to go potty outside(wonderful) but will also bark at the door if we do not play with him(annoying). So since we are always confused on if he actually has to go as compared to just playing it seems like we take him outside about every halfhour. I swear sometimes I spend all my time outside since he constantly is barking at the door. We have tried longer intervals or ignoring him since he was just outside and that led to him peeing inside so right now we are still taking him outside all the time unless he is interested in somthing. I know he can hold it for longer than that so try to maybe keep Lucy interested in something and then she won't have to go potty as often.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I would look into new food! When my girl was that young she too was going about that much. I figured shes a bulldog and eats like a slob! Well I then started doing research and switched to raw. Now she almost immediately started going once or twice a day max and alot smaller amount! Sounds like that food isn't working with your pup. What are you feeding?

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
My 12 week old goes about 4 times per day, but the funny part is he ALWAYS goes twice on each trip. He drops some here and then has to move five feet and drop more over there. I feed him 1 cup three times per day. He goes to the door and stands. We have limited the time taking him out to when he goes to the door now or if I just get him out of the crate in the morning or after he has been home alone for a few hours. He will also go to the door sometimes when he wants to go outside to play. It is hilarious, I can always tell because he will stare at me, and then run like hell to the side of the house where I feed the cat. I go through the house and beat him to the cat food every time. It never fails though, that face he makes when he thinks he is going to make a run for the cat food.

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
She eats chicken soup for puppy lovers soul and today we tried not taking her out as much and had two accidents today...she stands at door and wants to go out ...so i will continue letting her out alot but maybe switch food??...thank you!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like a new food may be needed. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help with a selection if that is what you want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey also was pooping ALOT- 7-8 times a day when we first got him (at 8 weeks) Then we went thru some food issues and have decided to change his food. I don't know about the food you are feeding her, but if it is a low grade food, it does not digest well, and will cause more stool. I agree with you, take her out when she needs to go! The frequency will lessen as she gets older. We have gone from Fromms large breed puppy (he was eating 3/4 cup three times a day)- to Fromms Beef Fritata. Right now we are weaning him onto this, but his stools are small, firm and he is down to 2-3 poops a day. I would condsider changing foods, but do it slowly!! Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.