Help Needed! Lola and the bland diet

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So miss Lola just made a mess all over her bed then all over the carpet! She has had loose stools for a little over two weeks, it didnt start out bad but has gotten worse! She got into the garbage one time when I got into the shower and didnt pick my garbage can up and put it on my cabinet but that was over a week ago so I would think that would be all out of her system if she did get anything. I have thought that she may be having problems with her food that is why I have posted so many different types of food and questions about the trying to find one local that is a good food. I just ordered fromm beef grain free and currently she is on a chicken and not grain free so its either the chicken or grain or maybe just a dog virus but 2 weeks is a long virus. It started off a little softer the first week and then all this week up tell today it has been like a soft serve but today it is water. My questions is should I start her on the bland diet tonight or wait tell morning? Also is it 1 cup cooked brown rice to 1/4 cup beef? I don't have any pumpkin in the house so hubby is picking some up on his way home from work. My plan is to put her on the bland diet while I am waiting for the fromm food to get here and then slowly switching her over does that sound like what I need to be doing? I also put desitin on her butt so hopefully she wont get more raw than she already is. I feel bad for not starting the bland diet earlier I just kept hoping it would get better and it was something she got into but I just dont want to put it off anymore. Is this the right thing to do and am i doing it right?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I suppose it couldn't hurt to put her on the bland diet until the Fromm food comes I suppose. I didn't know Lola was having problems, poor girl. Let me tag a few peeps for you so hopefully someone can get you a better answer than mine. :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope she didn't get into something in the garbage and cause her a problem. The bland can be either the way you said or half and half, which ever way we please. I think at first just do 1/4 beef to rice, and make sure and drain the grease from the ground beef. If she doesn't get better in a day or so a visit to the vets will be in order. Make sure she is drinking water so she won't get dehydrated. I hope she gets better soon and keep us posted.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I ended up giving her 1 cup brown rice and 1/3 cup ground beef that I drained and washed and drained again. She liked it and I hope it works fast!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope that does he trick and she is better tomorrow.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok..my first thoughts are..a week later means nothing as far as whether she ate something she shouldn't have. I'm talking foreign object here..not food. Maybe she swallowed plastic wrap or anything NOT edible? Jake has eaten towels, magazines and even half a pillow sham. It took 2 weeks before we knew what had happened. I'm worried about that more thn any allergy to food she might have eaten. I think if it were me..I would take her to the vet. :(

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
This is getting bad! I gave her the rice and beef now she has went poo in the house twice since and it is shooting out of her with force all over i have never seen her do this! Im calling her vet now!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is getting bad! I gave her the rice and beef now she has went poo in the house twice since and it is shooting out of her with force all over i have never seen her do this! Im calling her vet now!

Sounds like you should! She could be highly allergic to chicken, or got some bad cooties from the garbage, or has an obstruction. Best to find out quickly before she dehydrates, give her a hug from us :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ok..my first thoughts are..a week later means nothing as far as whether she ate something she shouldn't have. I'm talking foreign object here..not food. Maybe she swallowed plastic wrap or anything NOT edible? Jake has eaten towels, magazines and even half a pillow sham. It took 2 weeks before we knew what had happened. I'm worried about that more thn any allergy to food she might have eaten. I think if it were me..I would take her to the vet. :(

this was my first thought too. I hope she didn't get anything in there causing a blockage,how scary! 2 weeks is a long time by far. I got distracted midpost by the kids so can't remember if she is growing up or not but hat too is a sign something might be in there. Hugs! Let us know as soon as you find out anything!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The vet said that since I started her on a different food a little over two weeks ago and thats when this all started he believes thats what it is she went from the pink fromm to the black bag and I thought they were pretty close to the same thing but I guess not I even switched her over slow over a week and a half so she has only been on the pure black kind for about 5 or 6 days. He told me I could come in if I thought it was bad enough if not then come in at 8 when they open. I told him I was giving her the rice and ground beef and he told me not to give her anything else and to stop doing that. He told me no table food. Im not sure what I should do! Im going to wait and see over the next hour or so if it calms down if not I will bring her in. I just dont know how she went from soft serve to water in the matter of a day! She was fine on the pink fromm and I had no reaction from it!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The vet said that since I started her on a different food a little over two weeks ago and thats when this all started he believes thats what it is she went from the pink fromm to the black bag and I thought they were pretty close to the same thing but I guess not I even switched her over slow over a week and a half so she has only been on the pure black kind for about 5 or 6 days. He told me I could come in if I thought it was bad enough if not then come in at 8 when they open. I told him I was giving her the rice and ground beef and he told me not to give her anything else and to stop doing that. He told me no table food. Im not sure what I should do! Im going to wait and see over the next hour or so if it calms down if not I will bring her in. I just dont know how she went from soft serve to water in the matter of a day! She was fine on the pink fromm and I had no reaction from it!

I wouldn't give her anything..maybe ice cubes so she gets water. You don't want her dehydrated. And no reason to feed her while her system is so irritated. Let it calm down. Make sure and tell him how she got into the trash. Obstructions can be hard to see..even in X-rays. I'm a worrywart and that's my worry for her. Take her in ànd let's hope for the very best...:hug:

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is getting a little better its now soft serve yet but harder than last night! She is loving the rice and hamburger! Also another question, after I get her new food in I slowly start mixing it with the rice like 1/4 cup at a time?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just keep bland diet going for a week..then add 1/8 cup kibble at a time..if she has any reaction at all..stop kibble and wait couple more days on bland diet..then try kibble again. Are you using beef or chicken with rice? Then don't go to just rice..leave mixture as is.

Did I miss vet report?? You took her right?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.